U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-19-2019, 06:45 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,549 posts, read 11,880,481 times
Reputation: 10938

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Go back and reread. You are conflating virgin pulp with virgin forest. Virgin pulp is unrecycled fibers.You don't need virgin forest to make virgin pulp, you just need wood. But much of Canada's boreal forest is virgin forest, and its being cut for your butt.
But I like the feel of Canada on my butt!

I still do not know why we do not have enough replanted forest? Is in not growing fast enough?

Around the corner from me there is a pile to timber logs waiting to go off to some mill. They have been there for six months or more. It is all about harvesting all of the dying Ash trees affected by the emerald Ash borer. Apparently there is no market right now and that is why the logs are sitting. At one time they did haul them away, but they stopped, probably as the prices went down. That pile of logs, maybe fifteen or twenty feet high, would probably keep my butt happy for a very long time! That pile is only the tip of the iceberg compared to how many trees have died in the last year form just this one pest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2019, 06:13 PM
 
1,525 posts, read 841,332 times
Reputation: 2547
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
But I like the feel of Canada on my butt!

I still do not know why we do not have enough replanted forest? Is in not growing fast enough?

Around the corner from me there is a pile to timber logs waiting to go off to some mill. They have been there for six months or more. It is all about harvesting all of the dying Ash trees affected by the emerald Ash borer. Apparently there is no market right now and that is why the logs are sitting. At one time they did haul them away, but they stopped, probably as the prices went down. That pile of logs, maybe fifteen or twenty feet high, would probably keep my butt happy for a very long time! That pile is only the tip of the iceberg compared to how many trees have died in the last year form just this one pest.



Just like making new plastic is cheaper than recycling it, clearcutting a boreal forest is probably cheaper than farming one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:32 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,549 posts, read 11,880,481 times
Reputation: 10938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Just like making new plastic is cheaper than recycling it, clearcutting a boreal forest is probably cheaper than farming one.
According to this article (https://www.theguardian.com/environm...risis-resource) I quote: "There are an estimated 6bn dead trees standing in the US west, with more trees now dying due to disease, insects and wildfire than are being felled for wood products." That sounds like a lot of great soft TP for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM
 
1,525 posts, read 841,332 times
Reputation: 2547
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
According to this article (https://www.theguardian.com/environm...risis-resource) I quote: "There are an estimated 6bn dead trees standing in the US west, with more trees now dying due to disease, insects and wildfire than are being felled for wood products." That sounds like a lot of great soft TP for me!

Or you could get some Preparation H, get some exercise, eat some fiber, and buy TP with partly recycled fiber. You'll be healthier and so will the planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:57 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,549 posts, read 11,880,481 times
Reputation: 10938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Or you could get some Preparation H, get some exercise, eat some fiber, and buy TP with partly recycled fiber. You'll be healthier and so will the planet.
Tell you what; I'll give them 20 dead Ash trees and that should keep me in my soft TP for my lifetime!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top