Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 05:42 PM

4,232 posts, read 2,454,501 times

Advertisements

Wild sheep:
https://rangerrick.org/wp-content/up...ld-m-jones.jpg

Domestic sheep:
[https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/8k...fKwk3zyBEf.jpg

Wild bovid:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...1733994%29.jpg

Domestic bovid:
https://cdn.britannica.com/55/174255...ernsey-cow.jpg

Wild goat:
https://images.fineartamerica.com/im...-gal-eitan.jpg

Domestic goat:
https://cdn.britannica.com/41/119041...4B093/goat.jpg

"Wild, primitive man:"
https://images.fineartamerica.com/im...n-baptiste.jpg

"Domesticated, civilized man:"
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010...-2_468x663.jpg

Last edited by elnina; 12-09-2021 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: You need to link your pictures to their source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2021, 06:08 PM

23,253 posts, read 18,764,714 times
That's not hard to figure out...maintaining your hair, fur, feathers, scales, or skin is a survival tactic. A well-groomed animal's outer covering protects them from the elements better. A well-groomed, healthy-looking animal is less likely to be targeted by a predator who is evaluating individuals for signs of poor fitness. If you aren't under as much pressure to survive because you're fed and cared for, and you are somewhat protected from predators by stock guardians, fencing, pens, and your keepers, you can get away with neglecting yourself. Domesticated animals start to lose their survival instinct and skills, but they are also bred for traits that benefit the people who grow them. Those traits may or may not be traits that improve the animal's survival. They aren't intended to live long lives.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-07-2021 at 06:19 PM..

Old 12-07-2021, 07:06 PM

182 posts, read 119,873 times
The result of radically different selective pressures.

Old 12-07-2021, 10:20 PM

438 posts, read 269,398 times
There are many, many reasons wild animals are healthier, smarter, and better adapted to their environments than domestic animals, and other people can explain why better than I can.

However, the cynic in me thinks you're posting this just to slyly poke fun at how far we fat lazy humans have fallen from what we were intended to be.

In which case I say

Well played. Very well played.

Old 12-09-2021, 09:05 AM

2,367 posts, read 908,280 times
All of the domesticated animals were specifically bred to exaggerate characteristics for human use. (Wool, meat, etc)

The human in the photo is not biologically altered. He can still become fit if he works out. But the chicken cannot learn to fly.

Question is are humans selectively breeding for certain characteristics?

Old 12-09-2021, 09:35 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I agree. It's easy: wild animals and uncivilized tribes roam more, chase more, jump and climb, they are physically fitter and leaner. Their food source is not always available, so they might stay hungry for several days. They also eat healthier diet.

Domesticated animals and humans are moving slower, don't need to hunt or fight for their lives, they live lazy, leisure life, they get their food delivered - it's there, in abundance, the food might be more processed or selected, they are less physically active and therefore fatter.
They live worry free life, under the care of humans...

Old 12-09-2021, 10:14 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couch coyote View Post
There are many, many reasons wild animals are healthier, smarter, and better adapted to their environments than domestic animals, and other people can explain why better than I can.
However, the cynic in me thinks you're posting this just to slyly poke fun at how far we fat lazy humans have fallen from what we were intended to be.
In which case I say

Well played. Very well played.
... said the COUCH coyote

Old 12-09-2021, 10:35 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Speaking of coyotes...

The coyotes around here look pretty thin and scraggly much of the time... with bare spots from chewing fleas... I don't think they look healthier on average than most of their domesticated canine counterparts. Our coyotes live pretty rough lives.

Wild horses too, more closely related to domesticated animals than any other I can think of... I am not sure they live better or look healthier than the pampered pets on the other side of fences.

I think the truth is wild animals live pretty hard, short lives.

Easy to pick out examples that tell the story we want to tell....

Old 12-09-2021, 11:05 AM

35,001 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Speaking of coyotes...

The coyotes around here look pretty thin and scraggly much of the time... with bare spots from chewing fleas... I don't think they look healthier on average than most of their domesticated canine counterparts. Our coyotes live pretty rough lives.
Same with the coyotes or coy-wolves that inhabit my suburban area. They don't look that sleek or healthy.

On a side note the other day I was tossing a tennis ball with an animal that is 98% wolf be chromosomes.

Old 12-09-2021, 11:11 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
I was thinking about domestic animals and man, there is HUGE variance in whether they appear to be healthy and fit or not. The old saying, "no bad pets only bad owners" kinda applies. Like dogs, right, my Grandparents had one of the most pitiable things that there is, overweight Dachshunds. They waddled around with their bellies dragging the ground. That is 100% the fault of the owners, and it's cruel. And it's 100% the fault of people that they were bred to that shape in the first place, too.

But my cat probably would not survive long at all outside. He's a pampered and spoiled little dude. I maintain his fur so it doesn't get mats, I feed him high quality all wet food, I make sure he gets plenty of exercise and he even gets his teeth cleaned. And he's in great shape and he will live a LOT longer than domestic cats usually do when they are feral or indoor/outdoor even. In no danger from parasites or diseases, cars or coyotes. And he is gorgeous.

As for people, we have free will. Until recently I lived in Colorado Springs, the state of CO often ranks as one of the most "fit" places in the US. I figure a lot of that is all the military folks there, but it's full of outdoors enthusiasts and tons of hiking, biking, climbing and so on. Like the humans are all, "Look! There are mountains! Let us crawl up and down them like ants!" Of course some people have genetic struggles to keep a healthy body shape, I've read a lot about certain genetic lines of people having a lot of trouble eating the processed food that is now so readily available in Western societies...but for many of us, we do have some choice in how we maintain our bodies. Or not.

I've certainly known plenty of "domestic" humans and animals who were fit and fine...and I've seen wild animals who were not. Dunno about "wild" humans since really there just aren't that many societies of them left in the world. But I'd bet that in the earlier epochs dominated by more primitive human forebears, there were some chonkers in the bunch. Heck, look at the primitive Goddess statuary! Fatness among women was considered a sign of general abundance and prosperity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature