U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2019, 09:24 PM

6,016 posts, read 3,317,159 times

Advertisements

I was surprised to look and NOT see an ongoing thread for wildlife cams! I bet there's a lot of people who have them, aren't there? Post your Pics!

We live on 19 acres that borders a couple of intersecting creeks and several thousand acres of timber forest in Rural SW WA. On our lower property we have had Wildlife cams off and on for a couple of years, but lately have had some exciting visitors.... beyond just the deer and coyotes we always have.

This camera location has always proved to be a good spot, there is a bridge there over a small creek. Upstream there is a series of beaver dams. Downstream it connects to a larger creek. The trail comes through this one spot where critters can come through without getting wet. And that makes for a good location for pictures!

Here are some of the recent visitors to our property! This is kindof a "best of".... by no means a typical week...

The FLOOD that happened is the result of one of the major beaver dams upstream breaking loose. It must have been a sight to see! As you can see in the pictures afterwards, it washed down a big log that is now a permanent fixture there, and it washed all of the soil and gravel off the bridge exposing the culvert pipes underneath. We did fix that a few weeks later.
Attached Thumbnails
Wildlife Camera pictures! What's in your back yard? :-)-2019-07-29-21-39-14   Wildlife Camera pictures! What's in your back yard? :-)-2019-07-23-21-48-01   Wildlife Camera pictures! What's in your back yard? :-)-2019-07-18-06-39-59   Wildlife Camera pictures! What's in your back yard? :-)-2019-06-07-19-17-35   Wildlife Camera pictures! What's in your back yard? :-)-2019-06-05-16-43-46  

Wildlife Camera pictures! What's in your back yard? :-)-2019-05-27-06-16-19   Wildlife Camera pictures! What's in your back yard? :-)-2019-04-28-08-45-33  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 09:37 PM

The highlight of this week's pictures was pretty cute.... little Raccoon family adventures.
Attached Thumbnails
Wildlife Camera pictures! What's in your back yard? :-)-2019-08-07-09-42-23  

Old 08-11-2019, 06:09 PM

5,316 posts, read 3,689,901 times
Used one for a short while. Live in city limits. Had cat, deer,fox, coyote, possum, raccoon.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:10 PM

151 posts, read 19,757 times
It started out with many deer ( I put out corn daily)

Then the squirrel population grew.

I started seeing one racoon and I named him "Ricky"
When I opened the bedroom door and put on the flood light he would scurry away and I gently kept calling.." Ricky, Ricky racoooooon "
He would slowly emerge back from the brush by the creek.

Now, my trail cam showed 13 racoons one night all at once eating corn !

Love seeing deer........wish the squirrels and racoons would leave.

Old Yesterday, 07:37 AM

2,663 posts, read 2,378,168 times
NIce!
I moved from the forest to town recently. I'm in town but my backyard butts up against a small mountain and I have more deer here than in the forest. But, they aren't welcome here, they are eating all of my landscaping down to nothing! ugh.
But those are some pretty cool pics! Lotta predators and prey!
I'd like to put a cam up but have to figure out how first.

Apparently I've repped you recently... won't let me again right now.

Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
NIce!
I moved from the forest to town recently. I'm in town but my backyard butts up against a small mountain and I have more deer here than in the forest. But, they aren't welcome here, they are eating all of my landscaping down to nothing! ugh.
But those are some pretty cool pics! Lotta predators and prey!
I'd like to put a cam up but have to figure out how first.

Apparently I've repped you recently... won't let me again right now.

Thank you!

Wildlife cameras are not expensive... This is the one we have:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It doesn't broadcast live or anything, we need to go swap out the disc every week or so... but that's not too much trouble. I think they're fascinating for finding out what's out there at night. Otherwise we'd never know. We have small animals and livestock so now we know better than ever, we need to keep them safe at night.

Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,031,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Thank you!

It doesn't broadcast live or anything, we need to go swap out the disc every week or so... but that's not too much trouble. I think they're fascinating for finding out what's out there at night. Otherwise we'd never know. We have small animals and livestock so now we know better than ever, we need to keep them safe at night.
I do the same thing. I point my camera at a pan of water I keep in the front yard for whatever needs a drink. Mostly I get stray cats and skunks.

Old Today, 08:35 AM

2,663 posts, read 2,378,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Thank you!

Thanks, I'll check it out. I would actually like one that is live and records. My prob isn't really the cost, it's putting it up and hooking it up. Since I"m a recent widow, I gotta figure this stuff out on my own now.
I've always been pretty handy and done most of the heavy lifting sorta stuff anyway but, techy stuff... not so much, lol.

I really wanted one at my other house in the forest but never put one up but I think I have almost as much activity here just not any large predators other than the occasional coyote. Although it seems the bear have crossed the Tn river into these parts now and have been seen lately.

You have a great array!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature