U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-26-2019, 10:06 AM
 
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
2,855 posts, read 1,108,900 times
Reputation: 6208

Advertisements

Also keep in mind that the irritant chemical is highly aromatic. Just getting close enough to the plant to get the fumes on you is enough to cause the rash.


That point was dramatically illustrated to us on a field trip for our Ecology class. As we assembled after disembarking from the bus, the lab assistant, wearing rubber gloves, collected a sprig of Poison Ivy, and as the prof issued a warning to us, the instructor was displaying it to us, holding it, for some unknown reason, righting front of his face, like he was hiding behind it. Although it didn't actually touch his skin, he began to break out right before our eyes. He had a miserable day after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-26-2019, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Redwood Shores, CA
165 posts, read 47,032 times
Reputation: 152
My doctor gave me this to rub on affected area. I use it, but it does not seem to do anything, there is no noticeable improvement in speed to recover.

A fail-safe way to guard against poison oak-wechat-image_20190827053739.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2019, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,585 posts, read 11,909,225 times
Reputation: 10958
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Also keep in mind that the irritant chemical is highly aromatic. Just getting close enough to the plant to get the fumes on you is enough to cause the rash.


That point was dramatically illustrated to us on a field trip for our Ecology class. As we assembled after disembarking from the bus, the lab assistant, wearing rubber gloves, collected a sprig of Poison Ivy, and as the prof issued a warning to us, the instructor was displaying it to us, holding it, for some unknown reason, righting front of his face, like he was hiding behind it. Although it didn't actually touch his skin, he began to break out right before our eyes. He had a miserable day after that.
When some people burn brush or from forest or brush fires, people that are sensitive to the poison oak, can break out a very long way away from the fire. Just a whiff of the smoke is all it takes.

This also gets into any individual's personal tolerances for this noxious weed. And then we are the owners of bodies that do change with age and exposure. What we are not sensitive or allergic to today; we could be tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
16,529 posts, read 10,487,808 times
Reputation: 29055
oh so true.


I used to chase my sister around the yard with a clump of poison ivy because she got it and I didn't.

As adults, she was immune. I'd get, mostly in January. I finally learned to recognize the vine as well as the leaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM
 
13,018 posts, read 14,283,286 times
Reputation: 35846
I never got poison oak that I can recall. But poison ivy loved me when I was a youngster. When I got it in the fourth or fifth grade I was blistered on my forearms and then they bled (probably I scratched), the rash spread like crazy and finally the worst portions were bandaged because they had turned to large areas of runny sores.

I missed weeks of school and long division, but I never got poison ivy again in my life. I also never got long division either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:30 AM
 
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
2,855 posts, read 1,108,900 times
Reputation: 6208
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post

I missed weeks of school and long division, but I never got poison ivy again in my life. I also never got long division either.




That's OK. The Millennials don't even know what you're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:34 AM
 
801 posts, read 278,596 times
Reputation: 2559
Maybe consider Tecnu... they have prevention and treatment options that were popular in my forestry school:

https://www.teclabsinc.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top