U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 02:08 AM

165 posts, read 47,032 times

Advertisements

i went into poison oak country with jeans tucked into rubber rian boots. Above boots rim i still got a rash. (Can the oil penetrate jean fabric?) But below boots rim nothing. Seems to me rubber is very effective in blocking poison oak. So i am thinking, can this be a fail-safe way to prevent poison oak rash:

When going into woods:

wear a rubber wading suit
wear rubber coat (what might be suitable here?)
wear disposable surgical gloves
after coming out, wash the suit and coat, throw away gloves
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 08:50 AM

9,874 posts, read 17,194,516 times
Wouldn't it be a lot easier to find someplace else to walk? What temperatures do you walk in? That getup is going to have you sweating like a pig.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Wouldn't it be a lot easier to find someplace else to walk? What temperatures do you walk in? That getup is going to have you sweating like a pig.
True... but we have a favorite place right outside our backyard, so we will go through patches of poison oak from time to time.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:37 PM

14,899 posts, read 10,909,786 times
Yeah, I think I'd just stay inside. lol

Old 08-24-2019, 11:47 AM

7,642 posts, read 3,195,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
i went into poison oak country with jeans tucked into rubber rian boots. Above boots rim i still got a rash. (Can the oil penetrate jean fabric?) But below boots rim nothing. Seems to me rubber is very effective in blocking poison oak. So i am thinking, can this be a fail-safe way to prevent poison oak rash:

When going into woods:

wear a rubber wading suit
wear rubber coat (what might be suitable here?)
wear disposable surgical gloves
after coming out, wash the suit and coat, throw away gloves
Yes, the oil can be absorbed by fabrics (cotton would be a no-brainer...it absorbs things very easily...like sweat) and it can persist a very very long time afterwards. The oil isn't very water soluble. When you put those pants in with other clothing it can cross contaminate. Keep the exposed clothing separated in a strong plastic bag and wash it separately. When I lived and worked outdoors in poison oak/ivy areas we usually scrubbed everything (including ourselves) with Fels Naptha bar soap. I've also heard that a de-greaser detergent works too. You have to use a lot of detergent, a lot of hot water and long agitation to get rid of it.

Don't do what I did...I wore leather boots while wading through thick vegetation around wetlands during a waterfowl census. Poison ivy was common. My boots spent a lot of time damp or wet. For weeks afterward I'd get a recurring rash on my feet but we couldn't figure out why. Finally, a local doc figured it out...you guessed it, the leather had absorbed the oil from that poison ivy and it would rub off on my socks and skin every time I wore them again. Had to toss perfectly good boots.

You might consider wearing skiing or snake-proof gaiters when you walk there. Then keep them separate and scrub them after you do. Just don't forget what's on the gaiters!

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-24-2019 at 01:07 PM..

Old 08-24-2019, 01:24 PM

7,136 posts, read 3,977,068 times
That outfit sounds like it would also prevent STD’s.

Old 08-24-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Yes, the oil can be absorbed by fabrics (cotton would be a no-brainer...it absorbs things very easily...like sweat) and it can persist a very very long time afterwards. The oil isn't very water soluble. When you put those pants in with other clothing it can cross contaminate. Keep the exposed clothing separated in a strong plastic bag and wash it separately. When I lived and worked outdoors in poison oak/ivy areas we usually scrubbed everything (including ourselves) with Fels Naptha bar soap. I've also heard that a de-greaser detergent works too. You have to use a lot of detergent, a lot of hot water and long agitation to get rid of it.

Don't do what I did...I wore leather boots while wading through thick vegetation around wetlands during a waterfowl census. Poison ivy was common. My boots spent a lot of time damp or wet. For weeks afterward I'd get a recurring rash on my feet but we couldn't figure out why. Finally, a local doc figured it out...you guessed it, the leather had absorbed the oil from that poison ivy and it would rub off on my socks and skin every time I wore them again. Had to toss perfectly good boots.

You might consider wearing skiing or snake-proof gaiters when you walk there. Then keep them separate and scrub them after you do. Just don't forget what's on the gaiters!
I think you just solved a mystery I had encountered.

In April I got a rash. And one spot on my thigh just would not go away for 3 months. Usually the rash goes away in 3-4 weeks. I thought it's because of my age; doctor told me older people heal more slowly. But now I think it maybe that I did not wash the Jeans thoroughly, so every couple of weeks when I put it on, I get the oil on the same spot...

Old 08-24-2019, 06:44 PM

22,441 posts, read 14,749,612 times
I am highly allergic to poison ivy. I’ve had the rash more times than I like to remember. It usually takes about 2 weeks to heal, and it was 2 weeks of misery. I read an article about poison ivy and oak in the Smithsonian mag a number of years ago.

It informed me the the oil, urushiol can be washed off with copious amounts of cool water and soap or detergent. Dawn would probably work fine, because of its degreasing ability. You use cool water because warm water tends to spread the oil on your skin. The soap or detergent emulsifies the oil and you rinse it off.

I have used this procedure and I’ve avoided poison ivy rash. But you have to wash thoroughly, spending more time than you would think sudsing yourself all over. And I suds up twice, with care towards my face, where I’ve gotten it so many times before.

I think there are some products specially formulated to remove the urushiol from your skin.

I’ve washed my clothing off without any problems though. Perhaps with the newer HE machines, I might want to wash them separately first, then again in a full load.

You can use cortisone cream on the rash. If you get a bad case, a doc will give you cortisone by mouth or by shot to help you heal.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:08 PM

9,708 posts, read 6,425,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I think you just solved a mystery I had encountered.

In April I got a rash. And one spot on my thigh just would not go away for 3 months. Usually the rash goes away in 3-4 weeks. I thought it's because of my age; doctor told me older people heal more slowly. But now I think it maybe that I did not wash the Jeans thoroughly, so every couple of weeks when I put it on, I get the oil on the same spot...

https://coretexproducts.com/ivyx_b/

Quote:
Ivy X Pre-Contact Skin Solution dries quickly and is non-greasy, sticky or clay-like, which maybe found in other products. There is also no wait time, simply apply Ivy X Pre-Contact to exposed skin and immediately start your outdoor task. Ivy X Pre-Contact is almost unnoticeable on the skin and washes off easily with soap and water. Our packaging (towelettes, bottles & spray) allows for a compliant and affordable skin protection program for the outside worker.

It works and is available at most pharmacies and Amazon

Old 08-24-2019, 08:10 PM

1,092 posts, read 840,950 times
When I was young, the mere thought of poison ivy was a huge doctor bill, a shot, and a prescription. I was sensitive enough to get it from my horses, if they brushed against it in their pastures.

I'm now retired and have developed enough of an immunity that even poison oak or sumac has minimal effect and I can generally clear it up with little effort.

I can wash with hand made soap with jewel weed in it. Ivy clears up in 12 or so hours. Oak and sumac take longer with sumac causing the most itching misery.

I use red clay soap with jewel weed but it's the jewel weed that's important

Also, DH managed to get a spot of poison ivy on his eyelid a few weeks back!!! That was an immediate trip to the eye doctor.

The eye doctor prescribed Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream USP, 0.1%, plus a pack of some sort of steroid pills to be taken for six days.

The eye cleared up REALLY fast! And his skin didn't scar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature