Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 11:58 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,082,427 times

Advertisements

CITES, Convention on the International Trade in Endangered Species. I used to breed Emerald Tree Boas. Shipping within the Continental US did not require a CITES permit, but either importing or exporting required a CITES permit. CITES mostly deals with wild flora and fauna, but my captive bred and born (CBB) snakes still required CITES permits to ship out of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 06:24 PM

23,289 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
CITES, Convention on the International Trade in Endangered Species. I used to breed Emerald Tree Boas. Shipping within the Continental US did not require a CITES permit, but either importing or exporting required a CITES permit. CITES mostly deals with wild flora and fauna, but my captive bred and born (CBB) snakes still required CITES permits to ship out of the country.
Yes; aviary birds and a python. Also kept Old World chameleons for decades. However, I wasn't shipping them anywhere out of the USA and bought them through retailers who had that documentation.

PS: Mostly "deals with flora and fauna"? CITES covers all flora and fauna determined to need some sort of management of international transfer/trade. Last time I looked, snakes weren't plants so they must be "fauna". Not much exists between the two.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Yes; aviary birds and a python. Also kept Old World chameleons for decades. However, I wasn't shipping them anywhere out of the USA and bought them through retailers who had that documentation.

PS: Mostly "deals with flora and fauna"? CITES covers all flora and fauna determined to need some sort of management of international transfer/trade. Last time I looked, snakes weren't plants so they must be "fauna". Not much exists between the two.
If you re-read my post, it says mostly deals with wild flora and fauna. Once something is landed through the importers CITES permit (in the Continental US), it doesn't require the documentation to be shipped domestically. In Florida we have recent laws forbidding the keeping and breeding of what are called "Reptiles of special concern" (thankyou exsenator Bill Nelson). Folks that already had any of these species, were grandfathered in, but required to purchase permits. They can't breed either.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
If you re-read my post, it says mostly deals with wild flora and fauna. Once something is landed through the importers CITES permit (in the Continental US), it doesn't require the documentation to be shipped domestically. In Florida we have recent laws forbidding the keeping and breeding of what are called "Reptiles of special concern" (thankyou exsenator Bill Nelson). Folks that already had any of these species, were grandfathered in, but required to purchase permits. They can't breed either.
My apologies. I missed "wild". With some species you may still run into permit requirements with interstate transport/sales due to the Lacey Act. Again, I haven't had to deal with any species states label "of special concern" so am not familiar with it.

Would this help?

https://www.fws.gov/international/la...lacey-act.html

That whole issue with pythons/boas is a mess. Certainly there should be some way to control what idiots can do with exotic constrictors, obviously "dangerous" critters, hots, or potentially invasive pests, but get politics involved and reason goes far away.

As for requiring CITES documentation for international trade, even though the animal might have been produced domestically I still see a need for some supportable documentation. If people have enough desire for the species (whether captive-produced or wildcaught) the wild population of that species still benefits from monitoring and managing trade in it. There will always be those who try to pawn off smuggled animals if there's profit in it. A common problem with cheap exotics offered for sale is that common lie about being captive bred. They aren't. They have often been treated horribly along their way. Some novice buyer gets shocked by what a truly captive and ethically-produced animal costs. They search for bargains and some shyster will usually accommodate them. Then the stressed out compromised animal suffers and dies because of it. If the buyer refuses to lean the lesson, they'll just buy another. Those continued losses to the wild population still have impacts. Requiring CITES documentation even for "CBB" animals is one way to reduce that even if all it really does is record how much trade is actually occurring. It keeps attention where it needs to be; on species people insist on having.

I know some species are managed much more carefully by a devoted network of hobbyists/breeders. ETBs seem to be one of them.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-22-2019 at 03:19 PM..

Old 08-26-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
My apologies. I missed "wild". With some species you may still run into permit requirements with interstate transport/sales due to the Lacey Act. Again, I haven't had to deal with any species states label "of special concern" so am not familiar with it.

Would this help?

https://www.fws.gov/international/la...lacey-act.html

That whole issue with pythons/boas is a mess. Certainly there should be some way to control what idiots can do with exotic constrictors, obviously "dangerous" critters, hots, or potentially invasive pests, but get politics involved and reason goes far away.

As for requiring CITES documentation for international trade, even though the animal might have been produced domestically I still see a need for some supportable documentation. If people have enough desire for the species (whether captive-produced or wildcaught) the wild population of that species still benefits from monitoring and managing trade in it. There will always be those who try to pawn off smuggled animals if there's profit in it. A common problem with cheap exotics offered for sale is that common lie about being captive bred. They aren't. They have often been treated horribly along their way. Some novice buyer gets shocked by what a truly captive and ethically-produced animal costs. They search for bargains and some shyster will usually accommodate them. Then the stressed out compromised animal suffers and dies because of it. If the buyer refuses to lean the lesson, they'll just buy another. Those continued losses to the wild population still have impacts. Requiring CITES documentation even for "CBB" animals is one way to reduce that even if all it really does is record how much trade is actually occurring. It keeps attention where it needs to be; on species people insist on having.

I know some species are managed much more carefully by a devoted network of hobbyists/breeders. ETBs seem to be one of them.
The "idiots" in the case of our python problem were the import facilities that hurricane Andrew destroyed. they started showing up about 10 years after Andrew. About the time it takes for an exotic to form a breeding population. Exotic venomous escaped as well, but they don't lay/give birth to the number of eggs a burmese/Afrock/burm-Afrock cross do. Besides these two the only other species on that list that is causing problems are the Nile Monitors. The Reticulated pythons, green anacondas and amethystine pythons have no established breeding population. Heck the amethystine python can no longer be imported, as Australia and other locations where it is found don't allow exportation of native fauna.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Heck the amethystine python can no longer be imported, as Australia and other locations where it is found don't allow exportation of native fauna.
You meant they can no longer be legally exported or imported, right?

Old 08-27-2019, 05:38 AM

Quote:
You meant they can no longer be legally exported or imported, right?
I know some folks that found out how serious the Feds are about "importing" animals that are forbidden. Fiji Island iguanas in particular! I was out of reptiles from my mid twenties until 1999 (15 years) and had never heard of these folks until they got out of jail in the early 2000s.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:22 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
I think the answer to the OP's question is "Yes" for the majority of parrot owners. Except for a few very common species, CITES bans the im-/exportation of parrots without special permits.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:59 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I think the answer to the OP's question is "Yes" for the majority of parrot owners. Except for a few very common species, CITES bans the im-/exportation of parrots without special permits.
Yes, just about all parrot species are on CITES Appendix 3, 2 or 1. The only ones which aren't are budgies, cockatiels, peach-faced lovebirds, and ring-necked parakeets: Parrot Travel » CITES. (I'm actually surprised that ringed-necked parakeets aren't on appendix 2.)

Old 09-30-2019, 09:02 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,934 times
Quote:
CITES, Convention on the International Trade in Endangered Species..
........CITES paperwork....Canadian Wolf..
Just happened to randomly notice the reference to the word..'Cites' in this thread and it made me think about the 7'3" Open mouth Rug Mount on the wall in the living room (Canadian Wolf), I harvested in northern B.C. in the winter of 1996. I vividly remember the procedures and related paper-work related to getting that wolf hide properly prepared for transport to the Taxidermist in Missoula,MT. The CITES PERMIT and related paperwork took about 5 weeks before the hide could be taken out of B.C.and shipped to Missoula.

Back then that country around Lake Atlin was home to a great number of wolves.
The preferred method for getting a decent shot was to position yourself [in a "hide"--like a sniper-- ] about 200 yards down-wind from a caribou or moose "gut-pile" remaining from some ones successful hunt in the recent past.
My 1961 Sako Finnbear in 7mm Mag ..162 gr Nosler did the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature