U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 07:15 AM

6,026 posts, read 6,906,661 times

Advertisements

Ban the damned things.

Yes, there is enjoyment in a nice fire from DRY oak or other hardwood.

But I hate trying to open my windows on a cool evening only to get a waft of some stinky smoke from some neighbor who is attempting to burn old wet branches, wet pallets, or some piece of rotted deck wood that started out life as pressure treated something from a big box store.

Just disgusting. Especially in a neighborhood where the lots are generally small.

Ban the damned things. Get a gas set-up for atmosphere, warmth and a nice, un-invasive fire pit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 07:43 AM

24,707 posts, read 18,403,637 times
From a pollution perspective, backyard bonfires have to be negligible.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:52 AM

7,306 posts, read 4,038,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4321address View Post
Should backyard fire pits be banned or more controlled. They've become too popular in this neighborhood to the point of the entire neighborhood smells like a burnt down building, not nature. They stink and leave a film of dust on everything including nature. Leaves and limbs accumulate this crap too.

Should back yard fire pits be banned or more regulated?
No. They are in rural and semi-rural areas. In my area, people use fire pits because in this heavily treed semi-rural area, there is no pickup by the trash servicer of large branches. The trash pickup will pick up bags of leaves and such, small undead branches bundled together, and such.

We constantly have dead branches falling down. I live alone and have a small car. I have no way to get those branches to the city dump,and we're not supposed to dump yard stuff there, anyway.

It's dangerous because of the wood fences and all the trees, but people don't seem to burn things very often. I've only done it twice in two years, when I had to. I hate to burn things...it's hot, and you have to watch and tend it the whole time with a hose handy. But there's no other good way to get rid of the dead branches.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:10 AM

854 posts, read 535,019 times
Love my firepit! We put in a 24 ft round patio with bench swings all around. Friends, family, hotdogs, smores, conversation, music, ... Would not trade it for the world. Love the smell of burning pine.

So no, they should not be banned. That's silly.

Old 10-03-2019, 11:51 AM

1,417 posts, read 367,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If you could keep the stinky, eye-burning, throat-choking smoke in your yard, I'd agree with you.

Most fireplaces around here are gas. Same with outdoor bbqs, though the charcoal ones are not super smoky. Even seen fire pits rigged with gas. I see nothing wrong with these things.

Burning wood and forcing everyone to choke on it is ************.
Can't make BBQ without wood smoke.

Old 10-03-2019, 03:59 PM

1,258 posts, read 439,810 times
People who get off on banning anything and everything under the sun that personally "offends" them (a stereotypical late 20th/early 21st century Amerikan phenomenon) shoud be banned.

Quote:
Quote:
Here in western WA, bans are set by The Puget Sound Clean Air Agency. Does no one else have burn bans?
Sounds rather totalitarian. I can see a period during fire season, but we don't have that problem here.
Southwest Washington Clean Air Agency down here.

Old 10-03-2019, 05:10 PM

796 posts, read 453,978 times
Sometimes I wish they were banned in my neighborhood. And that's only because of whatever neighbors are burning in their fire pit.....smells like burnt popcorn, mulch, wet paper,....etc.

Old 10-03-2019, 05:32 PM

2,530 posts, read 1,297,367 times
Well, you go ahead and please yourself, don't worry about anybody else...the world is yours and yours alone, no one lives here except you, no one breathes the air except you, so go ahead and stink it up.

Old 10-03-2019, 06:13 PM

261 posts, read 417,297 times
There are folks with lung/breathing issues who must move and who can never live in their homes again, because of a neighbor's fire smoke. If you have lung/breathing issues, please ask about the local fire laws and your potential neighbor's outdoor fire habits, advice, or feelings, about your issue, before you rent or buy in any area (some folks even have them on their balconies in high-rises)

Last edited by glenninindy; 10-03-2019 at 07:26 PM..

Old 10-04-2019, 08:03 AM

2,726 posts, read 2,435,435 times
Let's just legislate everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature