U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 09:05 AM

850 posts, read 535,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Let's just legislate everything.

Right?! BAN EVERYTHING! My gosh what a bunch of pansies modern man is becoming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 09:44 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,181,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Can't make BBQ without wood smoke.

Yes, you can. Put some hickory nut hulls in a can with some water and stick it under the hood of the propane BBQ oven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
There are folks with lung/breathing issues who must move and who can never live in their homes again, because of a neighbor's fire smoke. If you have lung/breathing issues, please ask about the local fire laws and your potential neighbor's outdoor fire habits, advice, or feelings, about your issue, before you rent or buy in any area (some folks even have them on their balconies in high-rises)

If you're that bad off, you're not long for this world anyway. Live it up while you can.

I'd rather live next door to a guy that occasionally burns stinky stuff than a curmudgeon always complaining about things. "If you hit your ball in my yard once more, I'm going to keep it!..and stay off the grass!"

Old 10-04-2019, 09:50 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,181,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Well, you go ahead and please yourself, don't worry about anybody else...the world is yours and yours alone, no one lives here except you, no one breathes the air except you, so go ahead and stink it up.

That's right. Those people are selfish....We, OTOH, deserve to have our own worlds 100% perfect the way we want it at all times. No exceptions. Ever.

Old 10-04-2019, 03:08 PM

1,417 posts, read 367,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Yes, you can. Put some hickory nut hulls in a can with some water and stick it under the hood of the propane BBQ oven.

If you're that bad off, you're not long for this world anyway. Live it up while you can.

I'd rather live next door to a guy that occasionally burns stinky stuff than a curmudgeon always complaining about things. "If you hit your ball in my yard once more, I'm going to keep it!..and stay off the grass!"
That isn't real BBQ. Using wet wood or what you suggest produces nasty, acrid smoke. Real BBQ can't be done with propane. Needs to be a wood burning pit or cooker, low and slow. Anything else is just BS.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:25 AM

36,390 posts, read 32,956,908 times
The city here even puts out fire pits. It smells so good in the winter with so many fire places/pits going. It smells best if oak or mesquite. There is no better smell than a smoker loaded with fine meats going full tilt.

Old 10-07-2019, 02:57 PM

7,700 posts, read 1,758,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4321address View Post
Should backyard fire pits be banned or more controlled.
Should back yard fire pits be banned or more regulated?
No. Imo, if people don't like the way a neighborhood is and if their complaint is not illegal, they shouldn't have moved there to begin with or they should move away -- unless the majority of people living there vote to eliminate "whatever".

Old 10-08-2019, 05:16 AM

1,417 posts, read 367,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
No. Imo, if people don't like the way a neighborhood is and if their complaint is not illegal, they shouldn't have moved there to begin with or they should move away -- unless the majority of people living there vote to eliminate "whatever".
Unless you live under an HOA, "people" can't vote to eliminate "whatever" unless it is on the ballot of a city, parish or county. If it is legal, people can't make it illegal without going through the proper procedures.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:12 AM

7,700 posts, read 1,758,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Unless you live under an HOA, "people" can't vote to eliminate "whatever" unless it is on the ballot of a city, parish or county. If it is legal, people can't make it illegal without going through the proper procedures.
Yes. What I meant is what you wrote!

Old 10-08-2019, 11:33 AM

5,524 posts, read 2,519,348 times
I love a fire-pit but unfortunately; it seems everybody else does too! Not sure if there is a happy medium to be obtained. We've only used ours maybe 5-6 times in the last 2 years but some of our neighbors seem to light them up every night of the week.

What is interesting is that after I had to evacuate from the Waldo Canyon Fire (2012); I have a mild PTSD reaction to the smell of fire. I was alone with 3 little kids (one disabled) when a cumulus cloud collapsed & the fire became a firestorm; sending a two-mile-long wall of fire charging into city limits.

I put wet towels over their faces & we made a run for it to the car, amid ash & fiery debris falling like snow & visibility of only a few feet. Unfortunately, it was later discovered that our neighborhood had been misidentified on a FEMA map as 'commercial' & as all the industries had formally evacuated the day before; we never received the alarm to evacuate.

I know many people whose homes burnt to the ground that day in the most heavily impacted neighborhood just to the west of us & I find it incredibly odd how much people in that neighborhood seem to love FIRE PITS.

I suppose it's one of the least likely areas to burn now (we have had flooding & the blackened spikes from the torched evergreens have yet to fall) but when I smell fire up there; I can't help but get anxious. It's like a weak form of fight or flight but every cell of my body starts waving red-flags. I don't know how they do it, except that THEIR neighborhood had been properly identified & most of them also evacuated the day before.

Old 10-08-2019, 03:20 PM

543 posts, read 381,566 times
I don't get why the smoke from a fire pit is any different than the smoke from an indoor fireplace??

My town sells us burning barrels for five bucks. Recycle and compost what you can, and burn everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature