U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 08:18 PM

1,121 posts, read 874,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
Was there a light right there when the other spider had her web in another area?

They aren't stupid. When possible, they build webs where there's high insect traffic.

If you were to put an insect attracting light elsewhere, and use a non-insect-attracting bulb there, I think it may provide 'mrs spidy' the motivation to build elsewhere. . . .

This Is The Type of Light Bulb to Use if You Want to Avoid Attracting Insects https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-have-figured-out-the-type-of-light-bulb-to-use-if-you-want-to-avoid-insects
Yes,mthe Mercury light has been at the peak of the barn since it was built, 16 years ago. It's a dusk-to-dawn light.

I like that light bulb idea if their made in dusk-to-dawn lights.

Teacher Terry,. the other Black and Yellow would rebuild her web every day. It was an amazing feat of engineering to watch, especially when she put the zig zag in the center of the web. BTW, I have noticed over the years, the zig zag in each spider's web seems to bear good resemblance to the marking on each of their backs.

Katie1,. I'd be happy to see her back, just not right in front of the man door, lollol behind the bench, anchored to the bench and the barn where her ancestor was, would be a great place because she could still reap the benefits of the bugs under the Mercury light, and the dogs couldn't get nosy and cost me a vet bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 11:04 PM

54 posts, read 9,113 times
Normashirley I just want to say I absolutely LOVE you for trying to save this pretty little girl! And I'm so happy to see all the other supportive comments here too . I wish everyone were so kind & compassionate!

Old 10-04-2019, 05:28 AM

3,419 posts, read 2,782,184 times
Normashirley, I agree with the others who’ve said it’s pretty awesome that you’re going out of your way to help her.

Will you do the oil on the surfaces now that the web is gone? Curious if that works.

Please keep us updated!

She’s beautiful, btw. You may have earned the nickname Spider Whisperer if she has moved to a better location.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:49 AM

5,532 posts, read 2,522,323 times
No ideas but I admire you. I'm a total weenie when it comes to creepy-crawlies.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:28 AM

36,393 posts, read 32,964,937 times
Get it a false anchor made of light fishing line. If they have an anchor they normally won't have to re-drop and will use what's quickest.

Old Today, 11:05 AM

3,745 posts, read 2,458,531 times
Garden spiders. As a kid we called them writing spiders, for what they do on their web. In a rural area here in NC, we see them all the time in the summer. One summer around the outside of my sister's house there was one on just about every window of her house. One day my sister was showing me one day. We walked around the house, my sister, Brother in law and me. We were looking at one, my BIL decided to step closer between the shrubs to take a closer look. As he was looking, I picked up a stick, and barely touched the back of his leg. I have never seen some one jump and move so quickly.

Old Today, 03:03 PM

1,121 posts, read 874,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post

One day my sister was showing me one day. We walked around the house, my sister, Brother in law and me. We were looking at one, my BIL decided to step closer between the shrubs to take a closer look. As he was looking, I picked up a stick, and barely touched the back of his leg. I have never seen some one jump and move so quickly.
DH is like your BIL, lol.

The spider has moved on, I'm afraid. after an entire summer of not caring about the weeds behind the be ch at the barn, DH whacked them down to the dirt, to discourage her from coming back.

We are now starting to get very cold nights, which dramatically lowers the insects, this type of spider eats.

Maybe next year a relative will set up house keeping -- if they could read I would make a sign that says "build your web here"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or