U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-09-2019, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Putnam County, TN
251 posts, read 53,846 times
Reputation: 143

Advertisements

World Maps of Köppen-Geiger climate classification

It's so difficult to fathom. The change from 1901-1925 to 1976-2000 is barely noticeable except in a few places, but it'll be dramatic by 2075-2100. I'm worried that the shifts may happen faster than plants can respond in some places.

Of course, it's likely that Greenland will see a lot of birch, willow and alder forests in coastal regions (conifer cones cannot cross an ocean) and lose most of its ice sheet, but I meant mainland North America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2019, 12:14 AM
 
Location: on the wind
8,047 posts, read 3,459,180 times
Reputation: 27425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
World Maps of Köppen-Geiger climate classification

It's so difficult to fathom. The change from 1901-1925 to 1976-2000 is barely noticeable except in a few places, but it'll be dramatic by 2075-2100. I'm worried that the shifts may happen faster than plants can respond in some places.

Of course, it's likely that Greenland will see a lot of birch, willow and alder forests in coastal regions (conifer cones cannot cross an ocean) and lose most of its ice sheet, but I meant mainland North America.
Well, "mainland North America" is a hugely diverse region with many microclimates...how long have you got?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2019, 05:13 AM
 
Location: SE Florida
1,420 posts, read 368,919 times
Reputation: 3392
Climate change has been happening on this planet well before man ever appeared. No one living today will see the out come in our life time. Basically, adapt or die out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2019, 05:32 AM
Status: "Put rules in place; some people stop thinking - J Kellerman" (set 20 days ago)
 
Location: Nescopeck, Penna. (birthplace)
12,556 posts, read 7,723,066 times
Reputation: 16288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
World Maps of Köppen-Geiger climate classification

It's so difficult to fathom. The change from 1901-1925 to 1976-2000 is barely noticeable except in a few places, but it'll be dramatic by 2075-2100. I'm worried that the shifts may happen faster than plants can respond in some places.
Climate change is real -- has probably been going on since the origins if recorded history -- but it has been hijacked and over-hyped by a clique of environmental zealots, who see it as a convenient excuse to recruit the snowflakes, teenyboppers, and others among the easily-impressed and technologically-hostile with an excuse to party -- not to mention the lucrative possibility of entrenching themselves within an unnecessary environmental bureaucracy at the expense of taxpayers and those engaged in actual, productive work.

The phenomenon deserves a slow, careful privately-run and not-too expensive investigation, but this wouldn't serve the purposes of the alarmists who produce 30-second sound bites built around cuddly polar bears.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-10-2019 at 05:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2019, 04:25 PM
 
Location: Seattle
1,914 posts, read 417,541 times
Reputation: 1819
We might be able to help some plant species survive via geographic transplants. But that's always going to be a bit problematic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2019, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,812 posts, read 12,101,419 times
Reputation: 11172
Forget climate change; we are changing our native vegetation throughout North America: https://www.theguardian.com/environm...risis-resource. We had to have all of the products from far away places and those products brought hitchhikers. In some cases we had people that imported the pest with the best intentions; but it did not work out. In the meantime we now have 450 invasive pest that are in position to wipe out 40% of our forest. I think they have already taken my 40% off my five acres; I am busy cutting down all the dead Ash trees from the emerald Ash borers. Of course that was after I lost my hemlocks to the woolly adelgids and after I lost my pear and apple trees to the fire blight. Now my county is in quarantine for the lanternflies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2019, 06:01 PM
 
1,569 posts, read 879,309 times
Reputation: 2608
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Climate change is real -- has probably been going on since the origins if recorded history -- but it has been hijacked and over-hyped by a clique of environmental zealots, who see it as a convenient excuse to recruit the snowflakes, teenyboppers, and others among the easily-impressed and technologically-hostile with an excuse to party -- not to mention the lucrative possibility of entrenching themselves within an unnecessary environmental bureaucracy at the expense of taxpayers and those engaged in actual, productive work. .

Wow, that was quite a pile of nonsensical vitriol to spit out in one mouthful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2019, 07:13 PM
 
4,579 posts, read 1,849,604 times
Reputation: 9017
"How?"
essentially, as it always has done.
over and over without our help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2019, 11:42 PM
 
Location: Putnam County, TN
251 posts, read 53,846 times
Reputation: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
...we are changing our native vegetation throughout North America: https://www.theguardian.com/environm...risis-resource.
Yeah. I bet Southern Magnolia is going to start escaping into the Tennessean wilderness as soon as average winter lows go above freezing. They're commonly grown here already, and the only thing stopping them is needing a 32F-40F average low in the coldest month for seed stratification.

Yay for the magnolias!

But that's only a small silver lining in a devastating problem, and it's not like most people don't already grow them anyways. Plus, equally desirable hardy palms could probably spread into TN one day even if we start cooling (most of the state has a January mean over 36F and hardiness zone at least 7a).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2019, 02:09 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,812 posts, read 12,101,419 times
Reputation: 11172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
Yeah. I bet Southern Magnolia is going to start escaping into the Tennessean wilderness as soon as average winter lows go above freezing. They're commonly grown here already, and the only thing stopping them is needing a 32F-40F average low in the coldest month for seed stratification.

Yay for the magnolias!

But that's only a small silver lining in a devastating problem, and it's not like most people don't already grow them anyways. Plus, equally desirable hardy palms could probably spread into TN one day even if we start cooling (most of the state has a January mean over 36F and hardiness zone at least 7a).
I was talking about invasive pest; but you also have a valid point. Invasive plants, mainly from Asia, are taking over. Our are has the Japanese knotweed and Japanese stilt grass. It is almost like our Country is being terraformed to an Asian ecosystem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top