Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 06:00 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Can you approach young beached seals, pet, and snuggle them a little, like you do with a dog?

Sometimes in winter, I will see a young seal on the beaches of Long Island. They just lying there for rest I guess. They are so cute. I want to lay down next to it and hug it. I imagine their fur being so soft.

I am afraid they will bite me though. Seals are carnivores. Are young seals generally hostile like wolves?
Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot?! Is this for real?!

Seals are WILD animals. They're not meant to be in close contact with humans, any more than humans are meant to live in the ocean. Not only that, they're not trained, and may react erratically. This includes biting, although if seals are anything like dolphins, this is highly unlikely. Its mother may attack at you to protect her baby, though.

You want to pet an animal? Volunteer in an animal shelter or visit a charity adoption expo, with DOMESTIC animals: dogs and cats. They were bred to be around humans, and won't be harmed by human contact. (If you disregard neglectful or abusive owners, that is.) Or, if "NJ" in your name is your home state, try this on for size: https://nyaquarium.com/shop/catalogs/wild-encounters-2. It's a sea lion encounter program at New York Aquarium; they're adult sea lions, properly trained to interact with humans.

Whatever you do, don't try to pet a wild animal! Or worse, hug one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 09:02 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
But I dont think these I see need their mothers or are that young still. They are all by themselves, and they are not that small. They arent huge or max length for a seal. They have white fur. They are maybe three to four feet in length, and really plump.

The seals are more rotund. They just look like pillows.

I usually see this seals solitary. There are no large groups of seals around. Its Long Island. I usually see one or two very far apart from each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yAEp5IrrIE
The person who would do that to a fox should be slapped upside the head. That fox is now destroyed mentally. It would never be able to hunt and survive on its own again.

Old 10-25-2019, 09:04 AM

513 posts, read 499,332 times
OP, Nature isn't like a Disney movie. if you cuddle with seals, if they even let you get that close, they will likely bite you and rightfully so. You should observe from a distance.

Old 10-25-2019, 09:09 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
Young beached seals may be adorable, but my first instinct wouldn't be to cuddle them. The poor things are probably terrified.

I'd probably be asking around about what government department I should contact to rescue them, or wondering if it would be safe for me to move them into the ocean myself. Or maybe I'd look for a bucket to splash them with, to make sure they don't dry out.
If they are injured, you call the marine rescue service (or the police, who work in beach towns and know who to call). Otherwise, they are just lying there. In the NY/NJ area, where the OP lives, there are lots of seals and whales and things who come down from further north in the winter. Sometimes they just want to hang out and lie in the sun.

Isn't it bad enough that a whole industry has sprung up forcing captured dolphins to swim with humans for human entertainment? Are we going to abuse seals now, too?

Old 10-25-2019, 10:01 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Default I've been bitten

As a stupid teenager, I approached a sea lion on shore, across a lagoon. He swam out to meet me halfway and when he was face-to-face, I put my hands around his neck to keep my face away.

So he bit me in the thigh.

I got gangrene plus my dad was furious at me. The Coast Guard who came to rescue me was not happy either.

I still have 4 bite marks on my thigh. So no. Leave them alone.

Old 10-25-2019, 12:53 PM

130,259 posts, read 12,099,804 times
I hear boa constricors like to cuddle. That makes about the same amount of sense. Real life is not Disney. Wild animals are wild & will attack you, if you enter their territory.

Old 10-25-2019, 01:04 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Can you approach young beached seals, pet, and snuggle them a little, like you do with a dog?

Sometimes in winter, I will see a young seal on the beaches of Long Island. They just lying there for rest I guess. They are so cute. I want to lay down next to it and hug it. I imagine their fur being so soft.

I am afraid they will bite me though. Seals are carnivores. Are young seals generally hostile like wolves?
Holy F dude. We’re gonna see your stupid ass get mauled by a angelic looking baby seal opening a can of whoopass on you. Christ can’t wait. Make sure you post the link of the video of you snuggling with a seal..........and the video of the hospital stay.

Or you’ll have a video of you killing a innocent animal like some of those other tards who pulled sharks or dolphins out of water to take selfies.

Old 10-25-2019, 01:06 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I hear boa constricors like to cuddle. That makes about the same amount of sense. Real life is not Disney. Wild animals are wild & will attack you, if you enter their territory.
Also don't forget lions (and tigers, and bears, oh my); they like to cuddle too. One important fact that Disney glosses over, is that humans are made of meat just like animals. If an animal is hungry or feels attacked, it'll bite whatever creature is in its way, whether that creature walks on two legs or four legs.

@OP: Seals eat fish and mollusks, not mammal meat. So they won't actually eat you, like a wolf might. But they'll most certainly bite. And who knows what nasty germs they have in their mouths.

Old 10-25-2019, 01:15 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
I have seen them jump on to kayaks. usually because they are trying to get a quick meal or escape a shark. My thoughts are if you have a seal that is willing to jump on your kayak, you may want to get out of the water.

Old 10-25-2019, 01:23 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I have seen them jump on to kayaks. usually because they are trying to get a quick meal or escape a shark. My thoughts are if you have a seal that is willing to jump on your kayak, you may want to get out of the water.
When I had my boat it had a large swim platform on the stern. I had small seals jump on it when I was fishing near shore. Figured there was a shark chasing them. I still didn’t approach them or try to pet them. They just sat there doing that axL rose weave and bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature