U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 11:58 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,084,713 times

Advertisements

My Google searches go nowhere. I walk up our driveway at night for exercise. We live on rural acreage in western Washington with many trees, both evergreen and deciduous. We have a Creek and several ponds. Some nights I hear a whistle, a short single one. The whistle may be 1-5 in number. I can hear owls at night, also. We have the usual PNW assortment of birds including doves, hawks, flickers, woodpeckers, etc. Can anyone tell me the name of this bird? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 12:18 AM

1,974 posts, read 721,391 times
Have you searched for bird songs of the pacific northwest? Or ask a bird expert in your area.

I have to get around to doing that to see if I can find the bird song I have never heard in my area before.

That's another thing....migration in the area. Could bring new birds in?

Old 11-15-2019, 12:26 AM

1,645 posts, read 910,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
My Google searches go nowhere. I walk up our driveway at night for exercise. We live on rural acreage in western Washington with many trees, both evergreen and deciduous. We have a Creek and several ponds. Some nights I hear a whistle, a short single one. The whistle may be 1-5 in number. I can hear owls at night, also. We have the usual PNW assortment of birds including doves, hawks, flickers, woodpeckers, etc. Can anyone tell me the name of this bird? Thanks in advance.

Record it. Post it. Or describe it in much greater detail. Nobody can identify it based on it being 1 to 5 whistles, but a saw-whet comes to mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwgTcxjLnTo

Old 11-15-2019, 12:40 AM

Good idea to record it. It is faint but sounds like it is coming from the woods but we are surrounded by forest so.... I have bird book apps on my iPad. I don’t think it is the saw-whet as it is a single short whistle. At first I thought it was the neighbor whistling for his dog: short and sharp. I will contact Audubon tomorrow to see what they think. Many trees are being cut in the area due to logging and new construction. Maybe they are protesting.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:16 AM

2,822 posts, read 2,477,589 times
There is an owl with a short higher pitched call... could it be?

https://academy.allaboutbirds.org/pe...cturnal-calls/

Or.. listen to the sound of the common nighthawk that is nocturnally active in the Pacific Northwest =

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-_CDXH9qhY

Old 11-15-2019, 02:20 PM

8,493 posts, read 3,683,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Record it. Post it. Or describe it in much greater detail. Nobody can identify it based on it being 1 to 5 whistles, but a saw-whet comes to mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwgTcxjLnTo
Western WA? You could have saw whet owls and pygmy owls...or BOTH in the same area. They both have a single note whistling call, but determining which can be tricky because individual birds vary. The whistles of the saw whet tend to be a little higher pitched and faster than the pygmy.

Google both owls and listen to recordings. They are pretty distinctive.

Old 11-15-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Western WA? You could have saw whet owls and pygmy owls...or BOTH in the same area. They both have a single note whistling call, but determining which can be tricky because individual birds vary. The whistles of the saw whet tend to be a little higher pitched and faster than the pygmy.

Google both owls and listen to recordings. They are pretty distinctive.

I already know what they sound like. I used to do owl surveys in western Washington. Maybe you meant to quote the OP.

Old 11-15-2019, 11:44 PM

3,262 posts, read 3,381,333 times
You know what?

As much as you probably are not going to believe me, but I think it is Bigfoot warning other BF that there is a human(you) out and about. They have been known to whistle like that, as well as tree knocks, rock knocks, andd screams, etc.

Old 11-16-2019, 06:57 PM

I listened to both owls mentioned but the whistle I hear is not in a series but a single one with a long interval in between. I didn’t have time to contact Audubon but will try next week. We do have a local chapter.

Old 11-16-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
I listened to both owls mentioned but the whistle I hear is not in a series but a single one with a long interval in between. I didn’t have time to contact Audubon but will try next week. We do have a local chapter.

Or record it and post it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature