Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 09:39 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times

Advertisements

So...I was outside a few minutes ago, and spotted a baby bunny. It's raining here today, and this little bunny was soaking wet, behaving oddly. It would tilt it's head up up up...like it was trying to drink water, and then topple over, because it had it's head so tilted back. Clearly, not normal behavior.

Sooo, I got a box, and a towel, and I picked up the bunny with the towel, and put it in the box, and brought the box in the house. I put the box in the dog kennel, because I don't know what I'd do, if the bunny got frisky, and got out of the box.

I'm probably nuts for bringing it in...but anyone have any ideas on how to help it out? Could I warm up some milk for it maybe? The only fresh veggies I have at hand are tomatoes, but I do have some frozen vegetables (green beans, corn, and broccoli) if that would help.

Really, I figure it's going to die...but maybe not as miserably as it would've otherwise. Anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 10:28 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
So...I was outside a few minutes ago, and spotted a baby bunny. It's raining here today, and this little bunny was soaking wet, behaving oddly. It would tilt it's head up up up...like it was trying to drink water, and then topple over, because it had it's head so tilted back. Clearly, not normal behavior.

Sooo, I got a box, and a towel, and I picked up the bunny with the towel, and put it in the box, and brought the box in the house. I put the box in the dog kennel, because I don't know what I'd do, if the bunny got frisky, and got out of the box.

I'm probably nuts for bringing it in...but anyone have any ideas on how to help it out? Could I warm up some milk for it maybe? The only fresh veggies I have at hand are tomatoes, but I do have some frozen vegetables (green beans, corn, and broccoli) if that would help.

Really, I figure it's going to die...but maybe not as miserably as it would've otherwise. Anyone have any ideas?
Uh oh.If it keeps losing its balance, there is definitely something wrong. Rabbits are prone to a pasteurella bacterial infection that messes up their balance. Head tilt and falling over are symptoms.

How do I know this? My first rabbit, which I had raised since it was 8 weeks old, got this infection as an adult and I did not take him to the vet early enough to (possibly) cure it. He was only 5 years old. I brought him to the best animal hospital in the region and they tried a massive dose of antibiotics, but the disease had progressed too far.

I hope there are no pet rabbits in your household, because they might be vulnerable to the wild one’s affliction.

Old 07-27-2020, 10:40 AM

No, we currently don't have any pets, except for an aquarium of fish. This is a young and wild rabbit. It managed to wiggle out of the towel I had it wrapped in...but it's completely passive. I picked a stalk of lemon sorrel to see if it'd eat it, and it's not interested in it at all. I guess there's really nothing I can do for it but try and keep it comfortable maybe.

Old 07-27-2020, 10:46 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
There are many rabbits around here, and if you have them they love to eat grape leaves, Hosta leaves, yes, carrots, grass and various weeds in the yard. Meanwhile I would call your state Fish & Game or Wildlife department. They most likely will have some local wildlife rehabilitation people they can refer you to.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:48 AM

I ended up taking it back outside, and tipped the box in case it wanted to get out, which I doubt is going to happen. :-(

Old 07-27-2020, 01:57 PM

23,293 posts, read 18,824,628 times
It is suffering. It is also a disease vector. There are other pretty unpleasant infectious diseases (tularemia and Lyme's disease just to name a couple) rabbits are prone to including a new hemorrhagic virus that is killing thousands of rabbits all over the US (don't know where you are OP). If you don't have a wildlife rehabilitator in your area to talk to about it I'd probably dispatch it. The thought of it lying somewhere terrified and defenseless until death chooses to arrive would be hard to bear.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-27-2020 at 02:06 PM..

Old 07-27-2020, 02:12 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times
baby rabbits are also prone to lawn mower bladeitis..............I got three last year and I always try to find their nests.........to avoid that.

Old 07-27-2020, 02:19 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,897,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
It is suffering. It is also a disease vector. There are other pretty unpleasant infectious diseases (tularemia and Lyme's disease just to name a couple) rabbits are prone to including a new hemorrhagic virus that is killing thousands of rabbits all over the US (don't know where you are OP). If you don't have a wildlife rehabilitator in your area to talk to about it I'd probably dispatch it. The thought of it lying somewhere terrified and defenseless until death chooses to arrive would be hard to bear.
When my cat mangled a rabbit's leg so badly that it couldn't move an emergency vet said they would euthanizes it for me.

Old 07-27-2020, 02:32 PM

Thanks all. The rabbit has died.

I never handled it with just my hands, I always used a towel. Never the less, I washed my hands numerous times today.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:52 PM

497 posts, read 696,396 times
OP - not sure where you are, but I just saw the following on NextDoor. You may want to be careful with how you dispose of the rabbit.

Rabbit hemorrhagic disease (RHDV2).

Grand Canyon, Ariz. - The National Park Service is asking visitors to take caution and not to approach wildlife, especially wild rabbits. Rabbit hemorrhagic disease (RHDV2) was recently detected in a dead jackrabbit found within Grand Canyon National Park, making it the first detected case in the park.

RHDV2 is a highly-contagious and lethal viral disease among domestic and wild rabbits. The virus does not infect humans, but other causes of illness and mortality of rabbits can. The public is instructed to remain cautious and to follow the instructions below to protect themselves, pets and rabbits while in the park.

If you see sick or dead rabbits in Grand Canyon National Park:

Do not touch or handle the animal.
Contact the Wildlife Program

Protect Your Pets:

Keep dogs on a leash of 6 feet or less.
Do not allow dogs or other pets to interact with sick or dead rabbits, or other wildlife.
According to the U.S. Geological Survey National Wildlife Health Center, RHDV2 is considered a foreign animal disease, meaning the disease is not typically found in the United States and is a threat to domestic and wild animal health. This virus is not related to the coronavirus causing COVID-19 in humans.

This virus can be transmitted among rabbits through contact with an infected rabbit, with body fluids or feces from an infected rabbit, or with a contaminated environment. The virus can survive on clothing, plant material, or other items that may be accidentally moved from an infected area. Before visiting other wild areas, wash clothing and disinfect footwear.

Rabbit owners should exercise extreme caution to avoid accidental exposure of rabbits to this disease. Domestic rabbits should not be housed outdoors in areas where contact with wild rabbits is possible. Contact your veterinarian for more information about this disease in domestic rabbits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature