Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 11:52 AM

11 posts, read 13,641 times

Advertisements

• Rural
  • Little population (less than 2000)
  • But not too far from the city. Not more than and not less than an hour drive to modern conveniences such as Walmart and the likes.
  • Ideal climate for farming/gardening and particularly growing root vegetables. But not too warm, and preferably on the cooler side. This point is the most important part.
  • Lots of nature.
Looking to buy a house in such a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2020, 01:46 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
This is much too broad to pin down. Too many possible locations to list! Maybe start with an overall geographic or climatic map of the continental US. You're going to need to do this work yourself as there are so many other factors to consider. Work, budget, need for services, etc.

Old 09-19-2020, 01:50 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straywire View Post
  • Rural
  • Little population (less than 2000)
  • But not too far from the city. Not more than and not less than an hour drive to modern conveniences such as Walmart and the likes.
  • Ideal climate for farming/gardening and particularly growing root vegetables. But not too warm, and preferably on the cooler side. This point is the most important part.
  • Lots of nature.
Looking to buy a house in such a place.
Some place in southern half of Maine. Not too far from Boston or Montreal, but you will get a lot of snow and cold. But the summers are not that bad. You get plenty of nature.

Middle of Pennsylvania. Not horrificially far from PBurg or Philly. The central north part has decent elevation so the summers are not too bad. But the winter can be brutal.

Old 09-19-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
This is much too broad to pin down. Too many possible locations to list! Maybe start with an overall geographic or climatic map of the continental US. You're going to need to do this work yourself as there are so many other factors to consider. Work, budget, need for services, etc.
None of those are factors. I only need internet for work...unless that - internet connection - is worth mentioning as a factor. I'm open to any budget and services. Trying to compile a list for now and then narrow it down. Thought here would be the best place to start. Open to research tips too.

Old 09-19-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Some place in southern half of Maine. Not too far from Boston or Montreal, but you will get a lot of snow and cold. But the summers are not that bad. You get plenty of nature.

Middle of Pennsylvania. Not horrificially far from PBurg or Philly. The central north part has decent elevation so the summers are not too bad. But the winter can be brutal.
Not a deal breaker but if it came between two places, one with and one without snow, I'd opt for the one without snow.

Old 09-19-2020, 03:17 PM

25,574 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straywire View Post
Not a deal breaker but if it came between two places, one with and one without snow, I'd opt for the one without snow.
You seem to be describing Eastern Washington state - the Olympic Peninsula, maybe? Rarely snows there, many smaller towns, BIIIIG nature.Where y'at now?

Old 09-19-2020, 03:20 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
WV has lots of areas like that. As does VA MD ALL over the US

Old 09-19-2020, 03:32 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,389,618 times
Townsend, Tn

Old 09-19-2020, 04:00 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,641 times
If you depend on strong and consistent internet connection to earn a paycheck, then that certainly is a key factor - in your top five most important factors, IMHO

I know a lot of places but most of the rest of the world don’t like where I choose to live — Once somebody called me when they were half way up my 1+lane road and said they were lost, they had ended up in the middle nowhere and they were getting really nervous. I told them to keep driving as they were only half mile from my farm, lollol

Someone else commented I should have radios in the trees along the road, playing music from Deliverance, lollol

Yet my area fits much of your criteria, except for what I would not consider the internet good enough to use for work. It’s fine for casual use but I would put a sledgehammer thru the desktop or the IPad if I had to rely on it for work. We have WiFi which is expensive but beats the Hades out of Hughes.net. There is no such thing as cable out here

One more thing - our summers don’t even get on the scale of being on the cooler side

Old 09-19-2020, 05:40 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times
Hickory PA and surrounding areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature