Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 05:57 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times

Advertisements

I remember watching a film about Inuit people who carried their babies (naked) inside the backs of their coats, and wondering what that was like.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:22 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Humans used to consume raw meat, so we developed the means to digest raw meat and didn't matter if there were salmonella bacteria. The gut bacteria is able to fend off those harmful bacteria just like how dogs and animals can eat food off the ground and have no problem. Modern humans live in a more sanitized environment so we lost the ability to process certain foods. This is why Americans and Westerners from 1st world countries cannot handle food from 3rd world countries. Many people in 3rd world countries can eat foods that are sitting outside without refrigeration just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 11:37 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
READ Jean Auel books she studied these things & tho her books are Fiction Romance there are FACTS on how Caveman lived! She talked to or was an archaeologist. Why it took her 5 years between books. Another Author I recommend IF you are interested in how the indian tribes lived. Geer https://www.gear-gear.com/ ... https://www.bing.com/search?q=jean+m...adec01f7270b08
I read all her books. Shelters of stone was ok but nothing special. Very disappointed in the very last one. It seemed really hurry up slapped together. Yes some of her stuff was very believable and true I think there was a lot of embellished medicinal stuff also. The first three were great

I think cavemen simply passed on the knowledge. . Like anything else they taught each generation what to do. Imo humans .....well most (I’m sure a few Grok and Grak were stomped by a cave bear)....are actually pretty smart. Our brains are capable of quite a lot of information processing. Some people think of cavemen as a bit smarter than monkeys which imo can’t be further than the truth.
I guess if you just took a caveman and dropped him in the middle of a city .....well it would be like taking a modern human and dropping them in the middle of a alien city.

Old 01-28-2021, 06:09 AM

433 posts, read 532,668 times
Ran across a number of YouTube videos recently about Neanderthals and "modern" man. The Neanderthals were few and far between---"In fact, new genetic evidence from the remains of six Neanderthals (Homo neanderthalensis) suggests the population hovered at an average of 1,500 females of reproductive age in Europe between 38,000 and 70,000 years ago, with the maximum estimate of 3,500 such female Neanderthals." I doubt fecal/menstrual waste was much of a problem. Do gorillas, chimpanzees, and other modern primates use diapers, tampons, etc.? Nah, I don't think so.

"Neanderthals Were Few and Poised for Extinction"
https://www.livescience.com/5570-nea...xtinction.html

Old 01-28-2021, 06:24 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Humans used to consume raw meat, so we developed the means to digest raw meat and didn't matter if there were salmonella bacteria. The gut bacteria is able to fend off those harmful bacteria just like how dogs and animals can eat food off the ground and have no problem. Modern humans live in a more sanitized environment so we lost the ability to process certain foods.
I guess a little confused by this, are you saying humans didn’t have the ability to digest raw meat and then at some point we developed that ability, and then modern humans lost that ability? At what point do you believe the norm was for humans to eat raw meat?

From my understanding, most scientists believe Homo Erectus cooked their meat, before modern humans existed. Evidence for the controlled use of fire date back to 1.8 million years ago, long before modern humans came to the scene. The first modern humans would have cooked their meat. Our digestive system has not had any great changes since then that would allow or not allow the digestion of raw meat. You can eat raw meat now as long as it’s free from harmful bacteria.

Old 01-28-2021, 06:57 AM

433 posts, read 532,668 times
TXRunner---This ^^^^
"The control of fire by early humans was a turning point in the technological evolution of human beings. Fire provided a source of warmth and lighting, protection from predators (especially at night), a way to create more advanced hunting tools, and a method for cooking food. These cultural advances allowed human geographic dispersal, cultural innovations, and changes to diet and behavior. Additionally, creating fire allowed human activity to continue into the dark and colder hours of the evening.

Claims for the earliest definitive evidence of control of fire by a member of Homo range from 1.7 to 2.0 million years ago (Mya).[1] Evidence for the "microscopic traces of wood ash" as controlled use of fire by Homo erectus, beginning some 1,000,000 years ago, has wide scholarly support"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contro...y_early_humans

Old 01-28-2021, 07:01 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Humans invented diapers, toilet paper and toilets. The first fossil evidence of Homo sapiens is around 300,000 years ago from Africa. So, it took a while...just like the Tesla.

Old 01-28-2021, 08:52 AM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Yes, I understand that eventually humans (as well as other species) figured out hygienic practices, but that must have taken a long time . . . imagine early people and feces and menstruation. Those two things must have been very interesting . . . and they wouldn't even know that feces were contaminating their hands, food and water, etc., and then when they did know, they wouldn't have invented soap yet, etc.

It's very puzzling to me that humans were able to evolve while contaminating everything.

It must have been very unpleasant.

**** stinks. It doesn't take a college professor to tell you that you should probably not eat it or spread it around on food, etc. Its instinctive.

Try an experiment. Fill your dogs bowl and put a tiny piece of his crap in it. Unless he's a feces eater, he's going to walk away with a very offended look. And dogs aren't nearly as smart as cavepersons.

Old 01-28-2021, 09:33 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Humans used to consume raw meat, so we developed the means to digest raw meat and didn't matter if there were salmonella bacteria. The gut bacteria is able to fend off those harmful bacteria just like how dogs and animals can eat food off the ground and have no problem. Modern humans live in a more sanitized environment so we lost the ability to process certain foods. This is why Americans and Westerners from 1st world countries cannot handle food from 3rd world countries. Many people in 3rd world countries can eat foods that are sitting outside without refrigeration just fine.
Ugh. I even see this here. Raw chicken sitting outside on a table for sale. Raw fish: no refrigeration.

Outdoor markets hold no appeal for me (here)! But the locals are all chubby and happy!

OP, I have wondered about all this too. There is a You-Tuber girl somewhere re-enacting how Victorian women lived: toileting with hoop skirts and loin-clothes for menstruation.

The cultures that use a bucket of water in the bathroom instead of toilet paper---that's what I don't grasp. The same contaminated bucket for everyone? No running water there.....

Old 01-28-2021, 10:01 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
This answers some of our burning questions:

BBC - Earth - Why do women have periods when most animals don't?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature