Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 07:21 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Interesting - what flawed being designed such a flawed product?

What would you do to improve the "waste system"? Oh, and the menstrual thing? Easiest thing would just be to get rid of both entirely but the whole rest of the body wouldn't work right then....sooooooo....ideas?
No - I don't have any ideas, but I wish people smarter than me would imagine better systems - just fun to think about, nothing serious for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2021, 12:43 AM

1,438 posts, read 734,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
The anthropologist Margaret Mead considered seeing a humanoid bone that had been broken and healed the first sign of civilization. Meaning that the injured party would have required assistance having their bone set, cared for, and fed until they were healed. I don't know what date that bone would be.
Yep it happened around the same time as the first big jump in our intellect around 60,000 years ago, prior to that if you could not keep up you died, and any shortcuts or slight improvements in tool making or helpful herbs for healing you stumbled across died with you or had to be relearned from scratch. but once we started taking care of the old, feeble and permanently injured knowledge was passed on to the young before they were old enough to join the hunt instead of learning once they got out there on the job where often their first hunt was their last..

Old 02-04-2021, 05:30 PM

5,713 posts, read 4,286,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
No - I don't have any ideas, but I wish people smarter than me would imagine better systems - just fun to think about, nothing serious for me.

Its not a big deal. You make do with what you have and don't have. I have friends who live off grid and have outhouses. I never wanted to live like that but last summer I had to live with an outhouse several hundred feet from my house for 4 months. I got used to it immediately, it was just the way it had to be so I didn't pine for a flusher 24/7. I was happy when I had one again but that's all.

I also had to get inventive for showers, because I had no shower. At first it was bucket baths. Then I was able to rig up a gravity shower using 5 gallon water jugs stacked up to head height, but I was largely dependent on the sun to heat it. You get used to it, that's how we survived as long as we have. I was lucky, they now make body wipes that I could use when all else failed but I didn't really like those because they smell like chemicals, because they are chemical treated.

Now that wasn't quite living in a cave, but it was close. I've also been on long backpacking trips where I did live in a cave, a nylon one that I had to carry, and there were no toilets. No big deal, you get used to it.

Old 02-09-2021, 01:44 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Anyone been to Africa lately? People still living the way cavemen lived. Some in arid regions with no water. No diapers and stuff like that.

Birds poop on their food and in their drinking water. Hippo poop in the water they live in. Feeds the fish. In fact, fish poop in the water they live and breath in.

Old 02-09-2021, 04:37 AM

5,713 posts, read 4,286,950 times
Then we eat the fish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature