U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 05:06 AM

3,286 posts, read 1,325,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Ok then, I guess I'll say that anyone who posts videos of hiking to youtube, or watches them, has a problem and they need to get help for it. Like maybe get outside and go hiking...and leave the safety blanket and pacifier at home.
I don't think hiking videos are for people afraid to get out there and hike, in fact hiking videos encourage and inspire new hiking destinations. The only downside is when trails get overcrowded or trashed due to increase in popularity.

Watching people explore nature and show new places is quite entetertaining, but I don't watch anyone in particular on a regular basis.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 02:28 PM

11,751 posts, read 5,879,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
I don't think hiking videos are for people afraid to get out there and hike, in fact hiking videos encourage and inspire new hiking destinations. The only downside is when trails get overcrowded or trashed due to increase in popularity.

Watching people explore nature and show new places is quite entetertaining, but I don't watch anyone in particular on a regular basis.
That seems to be the problem, not just with YouTube, but the internet in general. There are no secret spots anymore. Everybody knows about them all, and they all want to go there and take their own selfies there. It also seems to create a herd mentality. They all want to go to the same places, and they all make YouTube videos of the same trails. But some of the YouTubers I watch, hike some of the lessor known trails which are surprisingly not very crowded.

Watching YouTube does give me a sense of the crowding problem today. I have looked up videos of trails that I hiked myself 35 years ago. When I hiked those trails, I might see three other hikers, maybe four mountain bikers, and if I was lucky maybe one horse back rider during an all day hike. Looking at trail video of the same trail now on YouTube, they show groups of 10 to 20 bikers, and a never ending line of hikers, and the horse back riders, have probably given up on that trail years ago. Literally hundreds of people using the same trail, that less then 10 people used to use. It's pretty sad.

Old 02-10-2021, 09:57 AM

489 posts, read 631,034 times
I discovered Kraig Adams about a year or two ago, and he is now focusing mostly on hiking videos. I love the locations he chooses, and his videos are always so beautifully produced.

Old 02-10-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira kira View Post
I discovered Kraig Adams about a year or two ago, and he is now focusing mostly on hiking videos. I love the locations he chooses, and his videos are always so beautifully produced.

OMG, I haven't even watched one complete video on his channel, and I already love him. Thanks.

Old 02-11-2021, 02:34 PM

10,476 posts, read 6,665,314 times
I'll add a second vote for The Outdoor Gear Review mentioned above. Another my wife and I really like is Slim Potatohead.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5L...wZEnFsXA3TOx-g

He does a mix of hiking with boondock camping with some homebrew camping upgrades mixed in. But he has one heck of an eye for the camera. Most of his videos have a little bit about camping with a couple hikes thrown in. He's a Canadian who has camping and hiking videos over most of the US western states and some of the southeast. But with COVID this past year he's been hitting remote parts of Canada. We really enjoyed following along on his trip from Alberta through British Columbia, Yukon, the Northwest Territories, and to the Arctic Circle.

Old 02-12-2021, 03:16 PM

3,416 posts, read 1,926,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I love to watch hiking channels on You Tube. I was just wondering if anybody else does,
and if you have any favorite You Tube hiking videos you'd like to share. Especially smaller,
lesser known channels. Everybody knows Dixie, Homemade Wanderlust. But I would love to
hear recommendations for smaller channels to watch.
I don't seek out any particular channel, and haven't heard of those that you mentioned.
But it's a a good idea -- an opportunity to 'preview' trails I might like to hike one day,
and also a chance to see faraway places I'm not likely to have the chance to actually visit
(Patagonia, etc.).

Old 02-13-2021, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
I don't seek out any particular channel, and haven't heard of those that you mentioned.
But it's a a good idea -- an opportunity to 'preview' trails I might like to hike one day,
and also a chance to see faraway places I'm not likely to have the chance to actually visit
(Patagonia, etc.).
For me it's a chance to see far away, and not so far away places that I'm not likely to have the chance to visit. Now if I was 20 or 30 years younger and had a lot more money, then I'd probably watch the video to preview potential hiking trails. Actually I'm pretty sure that most people watch them to preview hiking trails. Some of the most popular hiking channels are are primarily gear review channels. So they are clearly geared to hikers, who are trying to get ideas for gear, and preview trails.

Old 02-13-2021, 02:18 PM

6,866 posts, read 11,422,027 times
Quote:
For me it's a chance to see far away, and not so far away places that I'm not likely to have the chance to visit. Now if I was 20 or 30 years younger and had a lot more money, then I'd probably watch the video to preview potential hiking trails. Actually I'm pretty sure that most people watch them to preview hiking trails. Some of the most popular hiking channels are are primarily gear review channels. So they are clearly geared to hikers, who are trying to get ideas for gear, and preview trails.

For us it's been a lockdown phenomenon, checking out places that we have had no chance to visit last year, but also reviewing places for either a yes, we can do that! Or not at this stage in our lives. Our hiking limit is about 3 hours round trip these days, easy to moderate. No gear except for hiking sticks. No new vocabulary to learn and impress each other with, other than our present hobby: amateur geology! Oooh look! Exotic terrane outcrop!

Old 02-13-2021, 07:56 PM

2,756 posts, read 2,210,927 times
Quote:
I love to watch hiking channels on YouTube. I was just wondering if anybody else does, and if you have any favorite YouTube hiking videos you'd like to share. Especially smaller, lesser known channels. Everybody knows Dixie, HomemadeWanderlust. But I would love to hear recommendations for smaller channels to watch.

These are a couple of thru hikers I'm currently watching.

Thanks for mentioning yours. I'd never heard of either of these before your post. I checked out Meandering Megan and I'm now hooked on her hiking videos.

Old 02-13-2021, 08:03 PM

2,756 posts, read 2,210,927 times
Quote:
OMG, I haven't even watched one complete video on his channel, and I already love him. Thanks.
I've only watched a few minutes of the clip you provided, the cinematography is breath-taking! Does he not provide narration at all on his hikes? I like when the person talks about the experience; not super chatty but gives some insight on their thoughts regarding what they're doing or seeing, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature