U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2021, 09:06 PM

489 posts, read 630,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I've only watched a few minutes of the clip you provided, the cinematography is breath-taking! Does he not provide narration at all on his hikes? I like when the person talks about the experience; not super chatty but gives some insight on their thoughts regarding what they're doing or seeing, etc.
He provided a recap at the end of the video. He doesn't talk a lot while he is hiking.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 02:11 PM

2,756 posts, read 2,210,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kira kira View Post
He provided a recap at the end of the video. He doesn't talk a lot while he is hiking.
Okay, thanks.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:40 PM

3,286 posts, read 1,325,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
I don't seek out any particular channel, and haven't heard of those that you mentioned.
But it's a a good idea -- an opportunity to 'preview' trails I might like to hike one day,
and also a chance to see faraway places I'm not likely to have the chance to actually visit
(Patagonia, etc.).
Yes previewing a trail ahead of time can be really helpful. I always had a this one particular waterfall hike on my list of trails to explore, but luckily watched a video and saw that while the waterfall was beautiful the trail itself was not really doable with a dog, because it required repelling down a rope and that is not a hike I would enjoy. It saved a lot of time and energy, plus in that video I learned of a different trail that sounded so much better nearby.

As for faraway places, yes I just discovered a couple beautiful hiking trails in Europe that look amazing because of hiking videos; one is Tour De Mont Blanc.

Old 02-14-2021, 10:24 PM

11,750 posts, read 5,875,156 times
Quote:
Thanks for mentioning yours. I'd never heard of either of these before your post. I checked out Meandering Megan and I'm now hooked on her hiking videos.
She is a lot of fun to watch. Cool thing about her channel is that I started watching her from about her eighth video. Usually I don't find a new hiking channel, until they have hundreds of videos, and probably a couple of thru hikes behind them. So I'm forever trying to catch up on their old videos. YouTube seems to be kind to Meandering Megan and they are really recommending her videos a lot. Which is lucky.

Old 02-14-2021, 11:13 PM

Quote:
I've only watched a few minutes of the clip you provided, the cinematography is breath-taking! Does he not provide narration at all on his hikes? I like when the person talks about the experience; not super chatty but gives some insight on their thoughts regarding what they're doing or seeing, etc.
I guess not. But he can talk to the camera. He does update videos from his room, just talking about his plans. I know what you mean though. On YouTube, not just for hiking channels, I do prefer vlog style videos. People who just film a days video, do some basic editing, upload the video, and prepare for the next days video. You get to see so much more video that way.

But there is a big demand for that type of cinematography video. Kraig Adams has over a half a million subscribers. The other vlog channels I posted, barely have a thousand subscribers. On the other hand. there are video makers on the other end of the spectrum, who carry the talking to the extreme. They like to keep the camera focussed on themselves while they hike, and just talk, and talk, and talk. Pretty soon, I'm like okay enough. Lets see some scenery. LOL. 50% talking 50% scenery seems to be the best balance.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I guess not. But he can talk to the camera. He does update videos from his room, just talking about his plans. I know what you mean though. On YouTube, not just for hiking channels, I do prefer vlog style videos. People who just film a days video, do some basic editing, upload the video, and prepare for the next days video. You get to see so much more video that way.

But there is a big demand for that type of cinematography video. Kraig Adams has over a half a million subscribers. The other vlog channels I posted, barely have a thousand subscribers. On the other hand. there are video makers on the other end of the spectrum, who carry the talking to the extreme. They like to keep the camera focussed on themselves while they hike, and just talk, and talk, and talk. Pretty soon, I'm like okay enough. Lets see some scenery. LOL. 50% talking 50% scenery seems to be the best balance.
I agree that a balance between talking and scenery is best. I've been fortunate in that the ones I watch generally aren't overly chatty.

I have found a different annoyance though. There is one hiker on YT who roughs it when he goes hiking. He loves to go in the dead of winter and then has to go scavenging wood, build his own lean-to, start a fire from scratch, and so forth. Instead of it being an enjoyable experience for me to watch, it's taxing. He's so into challenging nature and conquering the elements that he doesn't sit back and enjoy nature in its the beauty and richness. He's pretty popular; had several thousand subs the last time I watched him about 4 months ago.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I agree that a balance between talking and scenery is best. I've been fortunate in that the ones I watch generally aren't overly chatty.

I have found a different annoyance though. There is one hiker on YT who roughs it when he goes hiking. He loves to go in the dead of winter and then has to go scavenging wood, build his own lean-to, start a fire from scratch, and so forth. Instead of it being an enjoyable experience for me to watch, it's taxing. He's so into challenging nature and conquering the elements that he doesn't sit back and enjoy nature in its the beauty and richness. He's pretty popular; had several thousand subs the last time I watched him about 4 months ago.
Do you recall the channel name?

Old 02-16-2021, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Do you recall the channel name?
If I remember correctly, it's Joe something or other. His name is Joe and looks to be in his early 30's. Very thin, wiry, and his pocket knife is a machete. His videos are in the vein of Man vs. Nature, in my opinion.

I think the only reason he doesn't actually hunt, catch, or trap his own food while out hiking and camping is
because he has a very sensitive stomach. He admitted he has issues eating in one of the videos I watched.

Old 02-16-2021, 11:14 PM

Quote:
If I remember correctly, it's Joe something or other. His name is Joe and looks to be in his early 30's. Very thin, wiry, and his pocket knife is a machete. His videos are in the vein of Man vs. Nature, in my opinion.

I think the only reason he doesn't actually hunt, catch, or trap his own food while out hiking and camping is
because he has a very sensitive stomach. He admitted he has issues eating in one of the videos I watched.
Joe Robinet maybe? His channel looks interesting. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Old 02-19-2021, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Joe Robinet maybe? His channel looks interesting. I'll check it out. Thanks.
Yes, that's him. I remembered his last name earlier today while I was working. I come here and see that you've already found him. I'm interested to hear your take on him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature