U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2021, 12:51 AM

170 posts, read 77,906 times

Advertisements

Most people seem to prefer the extremes - either extremely flat terrain or tall mountains. Are there people here who prefer living/visiting areas with low, rolling hills? While I appreciate the way the Alps look, I actually find the Franconian Jura (about 600 meters above sea level) and the Fichtel Mountains (which is pushing it at about 1000 meters). I find tall mountains suffocating a city or town (e.g. Sofia and the Vitosha mountain) and flatland like in most of the Netherlands is too boring. I think the only flat country I liked so far was Hungary but it also had some hills around the Northern parts and Balaton.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2021, 03:40 PM

9,204 posts, read 5,470,706 times
I was a flatlander born amidst the corn fields of northern IA and raised across the state line in MN.

I love rolling prairie. The eastern portion of Montana has some big hills. The Dragons Tail, NC! The lower portions of the Black Hills with their pine forests and meadows.

Old 07-27-2021, 04:20 PM

5,076 posts, read 2,327,824 times
I was always under the impression that most people preferred mountains, due to their scenic nature. I enjoy all kinds of landscapes as they provide variety. If I see too much of one type, I’ll start looking for something else.

Old 07-27-2021, 07:24 PM

19,137 posts, read 12,545,768 times
I grew up in mildly hilly rural farmland in northeast MO. It was a nice combination of green meadows, fields, and a good scattering of trees. Hills definitely make for a nicer driving experience as well. I don't like the monotonous browns and grays of mountains (or deserts, for that matter). Where I am now in cental IL it is very flat and mostly fields - not my favorite but still better than mountains/deserts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature