Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 11:06 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times

Advertisements

i've never seen wild turkeys act so boldly. they're very skittish in my experience.
Quote:
"This turkey has literally taken over our life," Coon Rapids resident Rachael Gross said.

Rachael Gross says she lives in fear of going outside, thanks to her neighbor, a wild turkey, who seems to have taken a liking to her property.

"This turkey attacks me every single day. Follows me, goes up my stairs, tries to get into my house. When I leave in my car, it follows my car," she said.

The wild turkey has attacked people, pecked at tires and chased cars.
https://www.wbaltv.com/article/wild-...esota/42611186
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2023, 12:12 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Our area Walmart used to have a wild turkey that would hang out in the parking lot. Sometimes it would make itself comfortable on the hoods or roofs of people's cars. There were a couple of articles in the paper about it. lol

Old 01-24-2023, 01:12 PM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Spring turkey season for them starts in April.

Old 01-24-2023, 04:38 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
It might be the same species as "wild turkey" but it might have hatched out of someone's domestically raised flock. IME, some toms are despots but others are tolerant and mellow.

I was a manager of a national wildlife refuge in NJ years ago. Our office was set back in a big patch of coastal woodland. One year a family of "wild" turkeys discovered us and started hanging around the office compound. The hens were flighty, but the tom was very friendly and trusting. He'd march up the office steps, park himself on the railing or tap on the door hoping someone would come out to give him a neck scratch. He would have walked right in if we let him. If you walked across the yard he'd do his little courtship dance around your legs, purring and fluttering. He'd fly up onto the roof and strut back and forth. Unfortunately, he'd use employee cars as stepping stones to the roof and kept pooping on or scratching the paint and his rooftop displays were distracting. While I tended to be at the office more of the time and enjoyed any excuse to take a break outdoors, chatting with a friendly magnificent turkey was a pleasure. The rest of the staff voted and decided our little flock was no longer welcome. We got in touch with a local landowner who hoped for a small flock of his own. We coaxed them into dog crates and drove them over. They probably lived high off the hog after that. The guy's kids adored them.

Old 01-28-2023, 08:36 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
"Terrorizing".

Old 01-29-2023, 05:35 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
She can't have a barbecue. With 2 feet of snow in the yard.

Old 01-29-2023, 07:53 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
It's likely from the snowflakes who are afraid of a bird.

Old 01-31-2023, 11:59 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
I'm going to guess you don't live where it snows. Barbecue goes on all year round. We have two foot of snow on the ground right now and there are spareribs defrosting in the kitchen to be cooked on the barbecue tonight. You just fire up the grill and put a coat on to go outside and cook.

It's hard to imagine being afraid of wild turkeys, but they do cause a problem with their poop and scratching the cars. Turkeys are all bluff. Call their bluff and they back right down. They are smart enough to tell the difference between people and will change their behavior for encounters with different people.

If they live in a residential area and run towards you, they are hoping you are there to give them food not to attack you.

Old 01-31-2023, 02:57 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

It's hard to imagine being afraid of wild turkeys, but they do cause a problem with their poop and scratching the cars. Turkeys are all bluff. Call their bluff and they back right down. They are smart enough to tell the difference between people and will change their behavior for encounters with different people.
Based on limited experience I agree. I'd rather square off with a turkey instead of some massive domestic goose! I will never live down the humiliation (as supposedly tough field biologist) of being chased into the Sprague River by a goose named Pancake. Still, he only managed it once. The next time he tried, I called his bluff big time. He never bothered me again .

Old 01-31-2023, 03:07 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
A pellet gun is good for target practice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature