Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your opinion of wolf restoration
Just great, in just about every wilderness 10 66.67%
Great, but let's keep it to Yellowstone and Idaho 3 20.00%
Get rid of them, again 2 13.33%
Others, and people who voted, post away! 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2023, 09:11 PM

35,081 posts, read 17,033,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Oh man that's just cruel. I've got a dog wanting going on right now that puts Billy Coleman to shame. And you put up pics of puppies. . I even see the one I'd pick. Now look whatcha done did. Now all I can think about is a wiggly silly puppy making my day with entertaining antics. (sigh)
One on the far right, and one one in from the far left are adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2023, 12:39 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
One on the far right, and one one in from the far left are adults.

Second in from the right top row. The eyes have the look. He/she is saying "take me home." I'm on the cusp of getting another dog after a decade hiatus. Seeing a gaggle of pups like that puts me into Where the Red Fern Grows mode. I've never gone for long without a dog.

Now that I have the two major medical issues that were holding me back fixed for good and all I'm ready to go hit the wild places. A guy needs a good dog out there. The sniffer that sniffs is the nose that knows. A good horse is an even better pal but I fear my days in the saddle may be over. I just can't afford the lifestyle but after spending the most of my life looking at it through a horses ears I can't say that pleases me.

My horse has saved my bacon on way more than one occasion. But those days are over for me so I do need a dog. See...I'm a Man. If I want something bad enough I can justify the decision to obtain that something without any issues.

Old 10-19-2023, 06:42 PM

994 posts, read 535,661 times
I think its a case of who gets to whom first. If the mountain lion gets to the wolf first, game over.

Old 10-19-2023, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
I think its a case of who gets to whom first. If the mountain lion gets to the wolf first, game over.
I don't think they directly prey on each other very often; I think it's more competition for elk and deer. Wolves were exterminated from Yellowstone and cougars made very rare. They both recovered about the same time, wolves with reintroduction, mountain lions by virtue of the abundance of prey. That overpopulation of elk made for a pretty good banquet.

Old 01-23-2024, 08:16 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'd like to add something about the reintroduction. Officially, it was 1995, but they did it over ten years earlier on the down-low so as to avoid a backlash from ranchers etc.

There has been some admission to this.

I can further support this because around 1980, my family visited there and my father had excellent vision and awareness and spotted wolves along a distant tree line (we were in yellowstone) and got 8mm video of them.

I had all of that digitized a number of years back, I have that footage around here somewhere.
That's been a persistent rumor just like the Canadian wolf argument people spew out. The wrong type was reintroduced and it made the native one go extinct or wiped put these early down low reintroduced wolves. Tired argument mostly propagated by paranoid hunting groups.

Old 01-24-2024, 01:00 AM

3,847 posts, read 1,789,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
They may be smarter than some humans. The knee-jerk theory that killing wolves is necessary to keep them afraid has little to back it up but folk wisdom. Most wolves are already afraid of people and do not bother people. The ones that are habituated and hanging around humans are usually lone wolves, so the pack isn't usually going to know or care or learn anything when one disappears. Habituating wolves is a very bad idea.

Meanwhile recent science suggests that killing wolves may be counterproductive, because it disrupts the pack stability and leads to an increase in breeding, and wolf predation on livestock actually increases after wolf hunts. Only removing unsustainable numbers of wolves leads to a decrease in livestock depredation.

So learning to live with them and only removing problematic individuals is actually the better strategy than hunting.
I agree.

Old 01-24-2024, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
They may be smarter than some humans. The knee-jerk theory that killing wolves is necessary to keep them afraid has little to back it up but folk wisdom. Most wolves are already afraid of people and do not bother people. The ones that are habituated and hanging around humans are usually lone wolves, so the pack isn't usually going to know or care or learn anything when one disappears. Habituating wolves is a very bad idea.

Meanwhile recent science suggests that killing wolves may be counterproductive, because it disrupts the pack stability and leads to an increase in breeding, and wolf predation on livestock actually increases after wolf hunts. Only removing unsustainable numbers of wolves leads to a decrease in livestock depredation.

So learning to live with them and only removing problematic individuals is actually the better strategy than hunting.
I agree.
I hope you are right, but the experience with wild mammals is otherwise. See The Whale Who Went AWOL - Hvaldimir escaped captivity and became a global celebrity. Also, bears in national parks, and coyotes in certain areas have also become habituated to humans, with sometimes tragic results for both the animal and humans. Care needs to be taken that they don't get to feed on garbage, or "culled" bison for that reason. I do agree about only removing problematic individuals rather than opening a hunting season, but that has got to be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature