Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2023, 07:14 PM

10,950 posts, read 6,604,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
LOL I like crickets. But they don't need to be in the house. They are considered good luck by a lot of cultures. Asian in particular. Doesn't keep me from baiting my hook at the big trout hole with them though. Trout, , crappie , bluegill, bass even certain catfish scarf on them and wind up being scarfed on by me. mmmm fried catfish fillets gently baked (on the grill in foil) trout with lemon butter and garlic...my oh my. Crickets have a purpose in my world. And I rather like their chirping. It's a soothing sound to me.
Let me tell you, the crickets here in Alabama are nothing like the ones out West. Out West they are tiny, like little grasshoppers. I had one in my bedroom this year and last year. They are huge and look like they came from outer space. Aliens. Ugh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2023, 09:09 AM

18,122 posts, read 15,476,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Let me tell you, the crickets here in Alabama are nothing like the ones out West. Out West they are tiny, like little grasshoppers. I had one in my bedroom this year and last year. They are huge and look like they came from outer space. Aliens. Ugh!
Heard tell bout Southern crickets. My Sis just moved out that way. She says they have actual crawdads that dig mini gopher holes in their yard too. On "dry" land. We do have the big ugly nasty Mormon crickets out here. They swarm and march and devastate all vegetation in their path. But they don't fiddle like our little camp crickets. Those are like little weedhoppers. The weedhoppers are a lot bigger actually.

But the Jiminy crickets I rather like. And if I'm after BIG trout a jar of them accompanies me to the river. At night I like to hear them. Fall asleep to crickets and wake up to birdsong. That's why I live beneath these Western skies.

Old 10-14-2023, 02:40 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,275,436 times
OP asked about "animals," but what about insects? There is one insect I would definitely be happy to see extinct: roaches.

Old 10-15-2023, 03:19 PM

37,699 posts, read 40,684,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I'd suggest a free range Tokay gecko. They'll take good care of your crickets, but you'd have to listen to the gecko!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=Z1N2ACztZMI
I live in a ground floor apartment and the maintenance guys would probably freak out.

Old 10-15-2023, 03:31 PM

37,699 posts, read 40,684,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
LOL I like crickets. But they don't need to be in the house. They are considered good luck by a lot of cultures. Asian in particular. Doesn't keep me from baiting my hook at the big trout hole with them though. Trout, , crappie , bluegill, bass even certain catfish scarf on them and wind up being scarfed on by me. mmmm fried catfish fillets gently baked (on the grill in foil) trout with lemon butter and garlic...my oh my. Crickets have a purpose in my world. And I rather like their chirping. It's a soothing sound to me.

I used to run after the little ones (August) inside my NY home with a spray can. The big ones are easier to catch. If they would just stop chirping...

Old 10-15-2023, 03:37 PM

19,828 posts, read 8,714,247 times
chiggers

Old 10-15-2023, 03:47 PM

22,611 posts, read 17,873,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
OP asked about "animals," but what about insects? There is one insect I would definitely be happy to see extinct: roaches.
Last time I checked the phylogenetic tree in my old general bio textbook, insects were included in the Kingdom Animalia .

Old 12-17-2023, 07:38 PM

10,169 posts, read 13,670,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
(I figured this is the best section to start this thread.)

I'm seeing about more human deaths caused by alligators & bears. If it was up to you, which animals would be totally extinct? Now I like animals as much as the next person, but the ones who can always easily kill humans are another story & I wouldn't careif they were gone from this earth. & notice that they'll quickly kill an animal if it's killed a person. It's like an animal's life is more valued than a human's because we'd face consequences by law for harming/killing animals. If it were up to me, there would be no more of these animals on earth:

alligators
crocodiles
highly venemous snakes
highly venemous spiders

Now I won't say sharks because their home is the ocean & people don't really have to surf, etc., but of course you can't tell certain people that. But, it's personally fine w/ me to add sharks on the list too.

Now I know, technically people will say many things against it such as:

- the reason bears, cougrs, & maybe some alligators come into residential areas is because we're doing construction & their habitat is dwindling.

- well not all humans are more valuable than animals. What about all the prisoners who are murderers, rapists, etc. who contribute nothing to society?

- how scientists may be doing research on certain animals that may one day cure diseases/save us

Well, I'm not going to think about that. Certain animals just do no good. They just cause turmoil. & a human life should be more valuable than any animal's.

This is just meant to be interesting discussion, not to argue w/ anyone.
Good God this is messed up.

Old 12-17-2023, 08:25 PM

710 posts, read 326,476 times
My ex mother in law.

Old 12-21-2023, 11:33 PM

24 posts, read 1,090 times
If it were up to me, the animals I would want to be extinct would be cockroaches, ticks, fleas, and mosquitoes. I also wouldn’t mind box jellyfish and other highly venomous sea creatures like Portuguese men o’war to be extinct as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature