Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-14-2023, 06:21 PM
 
Location: on the wind
22,711 posts, read 17,989,669 times
Reputation: 73654

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
I've spent plenty of time in bear country and been up close and personal with both black bears and grizzly bears, many, many times. Never had an issue. That said, about 12 years ago, my neighbor was hiking in Yellowstone and a grizzly came out of the brush and attacked his hiking partner. No time to get the bear spray out before the bear was on his partner. Then, as quick as it started it was over and the bear went back into the brush. The man that was attacked had to get over 300 stitches. Wild animals are unpredictable....plan accordingly.
I wouldn't say "wild animals are unpredictable". They are predictable as long as you have the right information at the right time. Your neighbor and his buddy walked into a situation about which they didn't have enough information (or they weren't paying attention; situational awareness). A grizzly happened to either be feeding on a kill or had cubs in those trailside bushes. Maybe it was startled because the hikers weren't announcing their presence as they should. Maybe there was too much ambient noise to warn the bear early enough. Either way, it felt threatened, reacted defensively and attacked what it saw as a threat. Once it felt the threat had been appropriately thrashed it stopped the attack, backed off, and left the scene. That bear ended the confrontation on its own. So much for the claim that what a grizzly wants is to murder someone.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-14-2023 at 07:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-17-2023, 07:23 AM
 
21,312 posts, read 12,475,264 times
Reputation: 35983
Well, sometimes grizzlies - and even black bears - DO "want to murder someone," or at least eat... Predation for food is a thing. They don't, however (unlike humans) kill just out of spite or for sport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2023, 08:29 AM
 
17,259 posts, read 11,048,825 times
Reputation: 40435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I wouldn't say "wild animals are unpredictable". They are predictable as long as you have the right information at the right time. Your neighbor and his buddy walked into a situation about which they didn't have enough information (or they weren't paying attention; situational awareness). A grizzly happened to either be feeding on a kill or had cubs in those trailside bushes. Maybe it was startled because the hikers weren't announcing their presence as they should. Maybe there was too much ambient noise to warn the bear early enough. Either way, it felt threatened, reacted defensively and attacked what it saw as a threat. Once it felt the threat had been appropriately thrashed it stopped the attack, backed off, and left the scene. That bear ended the confrontation on its own. So much for the claim that what a grizzly wants is to murder someone.
Animals including bears are predictable up to a certain point but never 100%. Like people, they have their own individual personalities. Some are more laid back while others are more aggressive. Some are more confident and brave when dealing with new situations. Some may be just having a bad day and not be feeling well. It all plays into whether or not they will tolerate a person getting too close to them.

There are documented occurrences where a black bear tracked, followed and observed a person or people for miles while hiking waiting for the opportunity to kill and eat them. It happens. People are usually easy prey. I suppose it all depends on how desperate a bear is for food and how aggressive an individual bear is.

Last edited by marino760; 10-17-2023 at 09:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2023, 03:06 PM
 
Location: on the wind
22,711 posts, read 17,989,669 times
Reputation: 73654
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Animals including bears are predictable up to a certain point but never 100%. Like people, they have their own individual personalities. Some are more laid back while others are more aggressive. Some are more confident and brave when dealing with new situations. Some may be just having a bad day and not be feeling well. It all plays into whether or not they will tolerate a person getting too close to them.

There are documented occurrences where a black bear tracked, followed and observed a person or people for miles while hiking waiting for the opportunity to kill and eat them. It happens. People are usually easy prey. I suppose it all depends on how desperate a bear is for food and how aggressive an individual bear is.
True, but I was responding to another poster's claim that MOST bears want to murder someone. It just isn't true. Predatory attacks on humans do occur but are very, very rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2023, 08:34 PM
 
Location: On the Chesapeake
44,806 posts, read 59,740,250 times
Reputation: 60347
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Animals including bears are predictable up to a certain point but never 100%. Like people, they have their own individual personalities. Some are more laid back while others are more aggressive. Some are more confident and brave when dealing with new situations. Some may be just having a bad day and not be feeling well. It all plays into whether or not they will tolerate a person getting too close to them.

There are documented occurrences where a black bear tracked, followed and observed a person or people for miles while hiking waiting for the opportunity to kill and eat them. It happens. People are usually easy prey. I suppose it all depends on how desperate a bear is for food and how aggressive an individual bear is.
Didn't that happen in New Jersey several years ago?

Yep:
https://www.nj.com/passaic-county/20...t_milford.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2023, 09:00 PM
 
21,312 posts, read 12,475,264 times
Reputation: 35983
This title makes me chuckle every time it pops up, so thanks for that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2023, 01:16 PM
 
26,451 posts, read 36,244,862 times
Reputation: 29387
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post

There are documented occurrences where a black bear tracked, followed and observed a person or people for miles while hiking waiting for the opportunity to kill and eat them. It happens. People are usually easy prey. I suppose it all depends on how desperate a bear is for food and how aggressive an individual bear is.
Please post a source for these documented instances where black bears actively hunted humans.

If a bear is following a person or people for miles, the bear has most likely learned that people often leave behind food scraps.

There would be far more predatory black bear attacks on humans if we were such easy prey for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2023, 03:30 PM
 
21,312 posts, read 12,475,264 times
Reputation: 35983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Please post a source for these documented instances where black bears actively hunted humans.

If a bear is following a person or people for miles, the bear has most likely learned that people often leave behind food scraps.

There would be far more predatory black bear attacks on humans if we were such easy prey for them.
Stephen Herrero confirms that predatory stalking, killing, and eating of humans by black bears is real in his seminal "Bear Attacks: Causes and Avoidance." Rare, but it happens. If he isn't the ultimate authority on this, I don't know who is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2023, 08:17 PM
 
26,451 posts, read 36,244,862 times
Reputation: 29387
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Stephen Herrero confirms that predatory stalking, killing, and eating of humans by black bears is real in his seminal "Bear Attacks: Causes and Avoidance." Rare, but it happens. If he isn't the ultimate authority on this, I don't know who is.
What I recall about his study on bear attacks is that contrary to popular lore about mother bears protecting their cubs, male bears seeking food were more likely to be the culprit....but also that variables other than the humans being seen as prey in their own right were involved. They're carrying food, they're wearing a shirt that's retained the aroma of campfire cooking, or even that they're wearing some kind of foo foo that smells sweet/fruity. Another bear expert, Dave Garshelis, states that about one in a million black bears actually stalks humans as prey.

On another note, he also said that black bear attacks may be triggered by hikers' dogs, which is something I bet a lot of people don't really think about when they decide to take Fluffy along on hikes and camping trips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2023, 08:25 PM
 
21,312 posts, read 12,475,264 times
Reputation: 35983
Yes, females with cubs are more apt to attack defensively (and usually not fatally) when surprised and threatened while male bears are more likely to stalk and attack for food -- including for a human meal. There are of course many "variables" and attractants, but just wanting to eat you can be one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top