Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2023, 09:15 AM

23,300 posts, read 13,584,947 times

Advertisements

I saw on facebook recently that is a baby squirrel comes up to you, climbs you, they are lost from their nest and will go for anything that moves for sanctuary. Just wrap them up in a clean piece of cloth and take them to a rehabitation facility/service.

NOT A PROBLEM! I'M BANDANA ACCESSORY GIRL! Day do day, I am wearing at least 2, so I have such cloth on me.

BUT........since I do wear them, would my scent on them be a problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2023, 09:24 AM

5,551 posts, read 2,971,673 times
Well...if it WAS going to be a problem, it would be a problem for the parents...but you're talking about taking the baby to a rehab facility, so the mother isn't going to be around anyway. I think your bandana would work fine.

Old 10-16-2023, 06:15 PM

22,711 posts, read 17,989,669 times
to the above.

IME Farcebook is hardly an authority on everything. If a juvenile animal like a squirrel came up to me the first thing I'd do is check for other squirrel activity before touching it unless it is in imminent danger from a predator or hazard (being attacked by something, drowning in a pond, etc.). The parents may be close by and monitoring what their errant baby is doing. They may be able to steer it back toward the nest and continue to raise it. If I interfere, it's chances of survival drop significantly. Even if an experienced rehabber releases it later.

Old 10-18-2023, 01:09 AM

19,295 posts, read 22,263,791 times
I leave nature to nature. Hawks and 'yotes have to eat.

Old 10-18-2023, 05:41 AM

4,510 posts, read 6,192,603 times
"If I interfere, it's chances of survival drop significantly." The baby squirrel we rehabbed, who did come up to us looking for help, did just fine for 3 years, until our pinhead neighbor shot him with his pellet gun. It was heartbreaking to see him show up after being absent for 3 days, with a wound beyond repair, take one last pecan and disappear up the backyard oak tree.

Old 10-18-2023, 09:11 AM

49,896 posts, read 63,158,402 times
I don’t remember the circumstances….I think our dog caught a baby squirrel. We nursed him along with kitten formula for a week or two, then turned him over to a wildlife rescue.

If you bring a critter into your house like that, be sure you comb it for fleas, because it will most likely have them.

Old 10-18-2023, 10:09 AM
JRR

8,094 posts, read 5,535,131 times
Several years ago in Florida, the morning after a thundershower the previous night, I noticed a big clump of leaves by the driveway. After work when I went out to get the mail I Looked closer at it and it was a squirrel nest and inside was one baby squirrel so young that it's eyes were still closed. The day had been wet and cool and I was rather surprised that it had survived the whole day. I took it inside and put it on a towel with a small bottle of hot water wrapped in a cloth for warmth. Got some Pedialyte and fed it every four hours; then helped it urinate.

Next morning I call a wildlife rehab and they said that they were full and to try something first and if it didn't work they would try to find a spot for it. Next to the huge oak tree in the yard was a small dogwood. I put the towel in a crotch and gently pulled on a hind leg until it squealed, then walked away. After doing it twice I was about to give up but the third time here comes a squirrel down the oak tree and over to the dogwood and up to the baby. She picked it up and took it back up the oak tree. So I guess it ended about as good as could be expected.

Old 10-18-2023, 12:08 PM

6,609 posts, read 13,440,213 times
Great info! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Several years ago in Florida, the morning after a thundershower the previous night, I noticed a big clump of leaves by the driveway. After work when I went out to get the mail I Looked closer at it and it was a squirrel nest and inside was one baby squirrel so young that it's eyes were still closed. The day had been wet and cool and I was rather surprised that it had survived the whole day. I took it inside and put it on a towel with a small bottle of hot water wrapped in a cloth for warmth. Got some Pedialyte and fed it every four hours; then helped it urinate.

Next morning I call a wildlife rehab and they said that they were full and to try something first and if it didn't work they would try to find a spot for it. Next to the huge oak tree in the yard was a small dogwood. I put the towel in a crotch and gently pulled on a hind leg until it squealed, then walked away. After doing it twice I was about to give up but the third time here comes a squirrel down the oak tree and over to the dogwood and up to the baby. She picked it up and took it back up the oak tree. So I guess it ended about as good as could be expected.

Old 10-18-2023, 12:38 PM

32,457 posts, read 47,315,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
BUT........since I do wear them, would my scent on them be a problem?
If this is anywhere near any sort of residential area, squirrels have no fear of humans so person scent on the baby isn't going to bother them any more than human scent on the peanuts hey steal out of the bird feeder.

If a baby squirrel is big enough and strong enough to walk up to you and climb up your leg, it does not need rescuing.

Old 10-18-2023, 12:44 PM

5,588 posts, read 4,130,326 times
This is the only right answer. Not sure you need to make it squeal, they were watching you the whole time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
. Next to the huge oak tree in the yard was a small dogwood. I put the towel in a crotch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature