Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 12:49 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,772,776 times

Advertisements

I love raccoons and used to feed them, but I haven't fed any since we moved to our new location, although they do come around. They are pretty tame and seem to get along with the cats, and they are so cute when they come and stand up and peek in the glass patio door to try to get us to bring out some food.

I think I'll put out a dish for them, but I hope I don't have a similar experience to one of my neighbors.

She used to feed them but when she went away for a couple of weeks they got so mad that when she came back they were up on her roof waiting for her and they pelted her with pine cones.

Every time they saw her they would throw pine cones at her until she started feeding them again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 12:57 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,518,379 times
I personally wouldn't. The whole thing with wild life and not feeding them is to help them not to become too trusting of humans (some who may take advantage and be cruel) and to help them remain sharp on their survival/hunting skills. Just my thought though.

With that said, my aunt always throws away left food overs down by the creek at her home to feed all the critters.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:29 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,331,023 times
I wouldn't feed them. The possibilities of rabies is too high for my liking.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:53 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,261,866 times
Amazonchix makes a valid point. Feeding wild animals tends to do just as you mentioned...tame...which then makes them a nuisance in residential neighborhoods. Your likely to get them trapped or harmed. I do understand the draw tho....they are funny little guys. BUT....make no mistake, if they are cornored...they will bite and scratch till death. They are not as harmless as they appear!

Old 12-18-2008, 02:11 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,331,023 times
I forgot to add, they are also capable of breaking into homes. My mother went to check on a friend's summer cottage one day and found a family of raccoons had come down the chimney and the home looked like a bomb went off inside, as they were searching for food.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:18 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,501,583 times
Let them fend for themselves. They can be mean and some carry rabies so do not get them started.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:02 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,453,495 times
They also carry distemper.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:25 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,501,583 times
I been bit more than once as we used to catch them for dog training. We did have a very big boar that was a gentle giant and made dogs so mad as they not bother him. But I have seem them rip up dogs twice their weight and know not something want to mess with again.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:48 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,888,330 times
My father rehabilitated wildlife. I had a male raccoon, Sam, for a pet for many years as a child. It was orphaned before it was weaned and he was hand-raised, bottle fed and as a result too tame to release into the wild. He was small for a male, about 35-40 lb. and gentle for the most part, although he could be temperamental and aggressive with strangers. When he wasn't happy he'd bite. Hard. He was neutered. Raccoons are very cute, but they are not good pets, nor are they able to be completely domesticated. Sam lived a long life with us, but he was never really tame.

Despite this experience, I would state that raccoons are NOT good pets, and wild ones should not be fed. As others have said, they will learn to live on handouts and associate your home with food. They WILL damage things looking for their normal handout. They'll bring their friends, and likely pester your neighbors, too. And there are the diseases to worry about.

Don't do it.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:17 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,006,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
I personally wouldn't.

The whole thing with wild life and not feeding them is to help them not to become too trusting of humans (some who may take advantage and be cruel) and to help them remain sharp on their survival/hunting skills. Just my thought though.

With that said, my aunt always throws away left food overs down by the creek at her home to feed all the critters.
Your post makes me think of bear "hunters"... how they go out and feed them for months so that they can walk up to them and blow their brains out.

I had a mother and baby raccoons that lived in a hole in a hollow tree where I once lived. I loved the fact that they were there.... I hated it when the tree had to be cut down and they left.

If you're going to feed them,.. just make sure it's not obvious and not too close to your house!

There are some who hunt them.

Having said all of that,... Leorah's post is very good advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature