Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 10:56 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,210,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
I'm not sure that i'd be willing to test that out with bengal tiger trailing me .
Dont. Even if it were true, which it is not, a tiger would quickly spot the deception and ignore it. Which leads to the next point; a tiger will attack from any direction, rear, front or side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 01:04 PM
JL

8,519 posts, read 14,497,169 times
Speaking of tigers, did anyone see this? Wow!

Tiger attacks mahout on elephant! - YouTube

Old 06-23-2012, 02:30 PM

242 posts, read 464,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The link appears to be broken, but any respectable list would list rats, mosquitos, and hippos.
Unfortunately, Hippos are the largest mammalian killers of man (in both senses of the term) in the animal kingdom,
Hippos attack man/and-or canoes because they have bad eyesight. Adult Hippos have no natural enemies, the young Hippos are preyed upon by Crocodile, a person swimming, or a dugout canoe have the same silhouette as does a crocodile, well....at least....it does if you are as blind as the Hippo is. Hippos attack man and canoes because they are protecting their young. A Hippo is half the size of an Elephant, those large teeth are quite capable of crushing the back of crocodiles, they eat lily pads, those big teeth are not much good for eating, Hippo fangs are a defensive weapon. Things I learned during that year I spent in W. Africa.

Last edited by Dreison Rhodes; 06-23-2012 at 02:39 PM..

Old 07-19-2012, 03:05 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,950,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Wow. Didn't know that. Like they say "you learn something new every day."
They'd probably be right at home in Antarctica.

But it would be one impressive pioneering polar bear or two to make that first journey across about 10,000 miles or so of temperate, sub-tropical and tropical territory to establish a new southern population!

Old 07-19-2012, 04:32 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,325,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
They'd probably be right at home in Antarctica.

But it would be one impressive pioneering polar bear or two to make that first journey across about 10,000 miles or so of temperate, sub-tropical and tropical territory to establish a new southern population!
Just like when people think Penguins are in the arctic LOL

Old 07-19-2012, 05:13 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,978,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
The point being made is that while only a very small number of humans have been killed by polar bears, it is because human/polar bear contact and interaction is very limited because of where they live and because of the tiny human population and travel in their territory. Many of these bears have never seen a human, and when they do, have no instinctive fear of them and may regard them as prey.
Some might say, nonsense.

Polar bear attacks on humans are rare. In almost all cases, the polar bear in question was undernourished, frightened, or provoked. Scientists expect human polar bear-encounters to increase as the sea ice continues to melt and hungry bears are driven ashore. Over the past few years, more polar bears have been turning up in northern coastal communities and sometimes found wandering hundreds of kilometers inland.

Churchill, Manitoba is the Polar Bear Capital of the World. Since 1717, only two townspeople have ever been killed by polar bears.
Attacks and Encounters - Polar Bears International

"People talk about polar bears stalking and hunting humans," polar bear expert Tom Smith of Brigham Young University told me once, as we looked out at a bear sleeping on the tundra. "If that's the case, they're doing a pretty poor job of it." In the 125 years prior to our 2008 conversation, he noted, polar bears had killed just eight people in Canada and two in Alaska.
Polar Bear Attacks Surprisingly Rare : Discovery News

Old 07-20-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Anything that Steve Irwin (RIP) dealt with:
salt water crocs, komodo dragons, black mambas, great white sharks.

From watching other documentaries, I would put hippos toward the top of the list. The boat that was filming had to speed off and was being chased by one.

Elephants are odd. While I've heard they might interact well with man and be used to do work, I've also heard they go bonkers and go on stampedes.
Only the Asian Elephants (small ears----relatively speaking) can be domesticated, African Elephants are non-domesticable and do not hold humans in high regard.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Churchill, Manitoba is one place

Nome, Alaska is another, in the airport at Anchorage, Alaska is a stuffed Polar Bear, this bear is absolutely HUGE!!!! It was shot by a dentist on a hunting trip to Alaska and had to shoot the beast in self defense. They are the only member of "Ursus" that will actively seek man out as a food source.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:02 PM

577 posts, read 990,276 times
Well as Mathguy mentioned above Russell's Vipers are pure bad news. I believe they kill more people then any other snake.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:22 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,978,939 times
I can vouch for the site but:

The approximate number of deaths by snakebite, and the species most likely to have been responsible, according to major regions of the world are as follows:

North America (10 - 12): western diamond-backed rattlesnake (Crotalus atrox) and eastern diamond-backed rattlesnake (C. adamanteus).

Europe (10 - 15): sand viper (Vipera ammodytes).

Australia (2 - 4): tiger snake (Notechis scutatus) and eastern brown snake (Pseudonaja textilis).

Africa (1,000): puff adder (Bitis arientans), saw-scaled viper (Echis carinatus) and Egyptian cobra (Naja haje).

South America (2,000): pit viper (Bothrops atrox), other Bothrops species, the rattlesnake Crotalus durissus and coral snakes of the genus Micrurus.

India (10 - 12,000): Indian cobra (Naja naja), Russel's viper (Vipera russelli) and the saw-scaled viper (Echis carinatus).

Snakes Alive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature