Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 04:31 AM

6 posts, read 11,910 times

Advertisements

By suggesting goose repellents I just wondering that what is the key component in Goose repellents which really affect the these geese. How is it works?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 07:44 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,210,895 times
Well at a minimum I think you want to prevent their being more Geese so you might try finding their eggs and raddling them (shaking them for a minimum of a couple of minutes) or coating them with oil. Don't do this alone as the Geese will protect their nests. You could also try to get some legislation going to use them to feed food banks and soup kitchens, I understand Michigan may be doing something like this.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:18 AM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Well at a minimum I think you want to prevent their being more Geese so you might try finding their eggs and raddling them (shaking them for a minimum of a couple of minutes) or coating them with oil. Don't do this alone as the Geese will protect their nests. You could also try to get some legislation going to use them to feed food banks and soup kitchens, I understand Michigan may be doing something like this.

You have to be authorized to do that, and most states don't allow non-DNR people to do it, has to be part of an approved control program. If these are resident geese the state DNR can institute control measures, if migrants the USFWS is involved.
I think jimbo has the right idea:

Moderator cut: no copyrighted images allowed

http://www.remington.com/images/products/ammo/shotshell/ammo_box_sm/nitro_steel.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-15-2010 at 02:44 PM..

Old 07-27-2009, 04:11 AM

As I don't want to kill them, Please let me know about some other option.

Thanks,

Old 07-27-2009, 07:56 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairsteven View Post
As I don't want to kill them, Please let me know about some other option.

Thanks,

You've pretty much been given all the non-lethal options. Dogs are what most removal experts use. Those contractors aren't cheap and many times the geese come back eventually once the dogs are gone. You have an attractive habitat.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:04 AM

Can I use Geese repellents? How secure to use it at home?

Old 07-28-2009, 05:26 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,144 times
I doubt that your property is significantly "unsafe" due to wild geese, nevertheless, the best "control" method is a canine. . . try a border collie. . . .they are high energy, need a "job", and will really get into protecting your place from geese!

Old 07-28-2009, 11:23 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,399,426 times
When I lived in Michigan (a DNR state) we had a massive problem with Geese at my place of employment. It was termed an actual "hazard condition" as the geese left their droppings all over a winding entrance road used by 18 wheelers. (Lose as a goose isn't just a saying. The condition of that road was like it was ice covered after the geese went through) I had meetings with the DNR and we were given permission to use 12 gauge blank shells to try and scare the geese away. It did work after around 3 months of me running out & shooting in their direction every time anyone saw them coming in. I think the employees got more of a kick out of just watching me (a 35 year old lady dressed in a business suit & pumps) totin' a 12 gauge through the lobby and out the front door at least 5 times a day.

Tended to scare any guests in the lobby pretty well too

Old 07-29-2009, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
I doubt that your property is significantly "unsafe" due to wild geese, nevertheless, the best "control" method is a canine. . . try a border collie. . . .they are high energy, need a "job", and will really get into protecting your place from geese!
As I read one post on Goose Problem in this forum I can make a contact to flight control plus team for Goose Control Management. Anyway please give me the contact details of border collie. I can also contact them for geese problem.

Thanks,

Old 07-29-2009, 05:41 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,144 times
Border collie is a breed of dog, bred specifically for livestock handling. These are very intelligent, rugged dogs, but like all dogs, need to be trained. Their natural proclivity is to "chase", which, with training, can be modified to "herd", and to follow specific comands. Please contact dog breeders and or dog trainers in your area for specific info on purchasing a dog, care/ training of dog, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature