Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 06:25 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
There's a photography forum here on City-Data with a nature and wildlife thread. That's actually where posts like this one belong. Check it out! There are some wonderful photos there.
Thanks! I didn't realize a wildlife thread was going over there! I just checked it out...and your right! Amazing photos!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 04:32 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,014,438 times
Looks like a Great Blue Heron. When I was walking with my dog near the lake one day we startled one that was hunting underneath a dock. The massive bird wrestled out from under the decking and struggled into flight like some pterodactyl. I , the dog, and the bird all just about jumped out of our skins!
Many times they will fly overhead and you will see a giant ominous shadow cross your path like doom itself. Awesome birds!

Old 03-30-2009, 04:39 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Great pic!

There is a Great Blue Heron that lives on the pond where I do my morning run. I love to watch him. Amazing, aren't they?

Old 03-30-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Looks like a Great Blue Heron. When I was walking with my dog near the lake one day we startled one that was hunting underneath a dock. The massive bird wrestled out from under the decking and struggled into flight like some pterodactyl. I , the dog, and the bird all just about jumped out of our skins!
Many times they will fly overhead and you will see a giant ominous shadow cross your path like doom itself. Awesome birds!

Have you ever heard them "caw"? It actually does sound like a pterodactyl! Very un-nerving at night when all is very quiet and they let out a yell! And the flapping of their wings is almost as loud!

Old 03-31-2009, 09:20 PM

899 posts, read 2,942,765 times
I just drooled at your picture..How close were you to this magnificent bird..
I see them and their smaller cousin the green heron at a garden where I volunteer..
More pictures please..

Old 04-01-2009, 03:49 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamh View Post
I just drooled at your picture..How close were you to this magnificent bird..
I see them and their smaller cousin the green heron at a garden where I volunteer..
More pictures please..
Not sure if you were talking about my pictures, or the (much better) ones posted later in the thread... but I was about 5-6 feet from the bird, and he/she didn't even seem to notice! My dog noticed the bird, though, and was very anxious to get closer.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Not sure if you were talking about my pictures, or the (much better) ones posted later in the thread... but I was about 5-6 feet from the bird, and he/she didn't even seem to notice! My dog noticed the bird, though, and was very anxious to get closer.
LOL...I wasn't sure who she was speaking too either...didn't want to step all over your thread!

But...here are some more pics: This guy visits a restaurant we love to go to...can eat outside right next to the water: Don't dare leave your food un-attended, because he/she will snag what is ever on your plate in a heartbeat. One waitress tells us it's a she and she calls her "Madonna" anther, insists it's a male and calls him Fred. Whichever....he/she is well fed and all the patrons love him/her. One can get within inches of him/her because he/she is just so accustomed to people.

This guy also shows up once in awhile...

Old 04-01-2009, 08:34 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
This guy also shows up once in awhile...

LOL the maitre d' !

He looks like he's about to ask how many in your party.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:58 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Herons and egrets are very common where I live now, but I even used to see Great Blue Herons in Denver, of all places.
I took these heron pics here in north Florida.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:02 AM

Great "In Flight" pic!!!!!!!!!!!! Have never been able to get one of those!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature