Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2009, 03:23 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,146,653 times

Advertisements

For any animal lovers out there, there is a wonderful wolf sanctuary we found to visit in Naples, Florida. The volunteers and owners there do an amazing job and save a lot of wolves and wolf dogs from otherwise being distroyed; alot of the cases are rescues that have been cruelty cases including embedded collars, abaondoned, starved and beaten. Despite their terrible treatment, these Wolves & Wolf dogs still love humans, in fact some of the thrive off affection from humans!

It is one of the only places where you can actually interact with some of them. It was an amazing experience and I wanted to post some photos for you all to see and to raise awareness for them as they they are a registered charity and rely heavily on donations.

They also save a couple of other animals including large cats and some foxes including a stunning Artic fox who has his own air conditioning!

For any of you wanting to check out their website google Shy Wolf sanctuary. It is well worth a visit if you are an animal lover. We will certainly go back again
Enoy!

Mrs S.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/Mellonz/IMG_4133.jpg (broken link)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/Mellonz/IMG_4152.jpg (broken link)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/Mellonz/IMG_4177.jpg (broken link)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/Mellonz/IMG_4148.jpg (broken link)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/Mellonz/IMG_4147.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 07:11 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Very nice place--it *looks* like they do not allow the animals to breed, correct?
Some of those creatures have such tragic stories.
I know that some wolf/dog hybrids are able to live happy lives, but I've known a couple that did not, they were discontented and dangerous, and had to be euthanized.

I am interested in Montana, the red wolf. I was able to visit St Vincent's Island, the only place left where red wolves can live without worrying about being shot.

Many years ago I took our kids to a wolf sanctuary up in the mountains of Colorado, and also arranged school visits in Denver with this sanctuary, Mission Wolf. It was just a shoe-string operation back then, before the internet, and has come a long way.

These days, I tend to prefer sanctuaries such as St Vincent's Island, where the wolves have more of a natural life, but I understand the "preservation through education" agenda.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:41 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,146,653 times
That's correct they do now breed any wolves there they just rescue, they are sadly limited to smaller enclosures though unlike the sanctuary you visited which looks very nice and they appear to have a much larger area to live in. It is so sad as these animals are put in these situations because of humans. They told us of one story where they rescued a wolf hybrid (high wolf percentage like more than 85%) after a person bought it and had been sold it as a German Shepherd!

Old 05-24-2009, 12:58 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
I worked with a girl at the sheriff's office while I lived in Naples that used to volunteer there. We had a prairie dog that had been given to us that we couldn't keep but didn't want turned loose or sold to some yutz that would mis-treat it, so SWS took him and kept him there. Not sure if they still have him - we moved away years ago. From what the girl I worked with said they are wonderful people though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature