U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 02:41 PM

550 posts, read 2,589,329 times

Advertisements

Scream away MovingBack2PA!!!!

The way I snuggle with them....pick up a handful of them and close my hand (lightly) around them. I can feel them wiggling all over the place. Their smooth shells make it feel very soft......is that a form of snuggling??? It is also really cool when I give them a piece of apple and then put my ear up close to them. You can hear them munching on the apple!

Really, I am not weird....just a bored house wife!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 05:42 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,698,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoe View Post
Scream away MovingBack2PA!!!!

The way I snuggle with them....pick up a handful of them and close my hand (lightly) around them. I can feel them wiggling all over the place. Their smooth shells make it feel very soft......is that a form of snuggling??? It is also really cool when I give them a piece of apple and then put my ear up close to them. You can hear them munching on the apple!

Really, I am not weird....just a bored house wife!!
AWWWWWWWWWWW.....you are truly killing me,and remind me so much of my mom. She does that too...feed em and all........awwwwwwww. LOL
I guess, it could always be worse, and no...I don't think you are weird
In this day in age, it takes a LOT to call someone "weird"....LOL
You sound pretty much VERY normal to me.......(But, others would argue and calling me a bit "nutty")....LOL
Keep the humor, and please keep you spirit...you are so funny

Old 05-23-2007, 04:26 PM

13,153 posts, read 17,421,303 times
OK. So I went out and got 500 mealworms. No, I didn't count them, but they assured me in the store that somebody did. $8 plus for a little tub the size of a margarine container, and only half full with bran and worms. You really should go into the business. Anyway, back to the topic.

And NO, I'm not going to snuggle with them!!!!!

I got them for my new mamma bluebird and her soon to be fledglings. However, I don't have the right feeder, but even when I do get one, where do I put it? can it hang close by? The birdhouse is about 15 feet from my screened porch. Can I hang the worm feeder on the porch, in place of the regular feeder? Or, will this cause all the other birds to eat the worms first?
Also, will the worms be able to take the sun, or will they just fry in the heat?
Should they be hung in shade?

Thanks, mealworm lady. Or anyone else who can answer the question - maybe someone who has experience with bluebirds?

Old 05-23-2007, 07:32 PM

I just typed a whole bunch and then lost it!!!!! I will try again!!!

Old 05-23-2007, 07:46 PM

I will try point form this time.

Do you have a picture of your feeder? I don't think I have seen a bird feeder that can hold mealworms.
Feed meal worms in a shallow dish. High enough so the worms won't crawl over the edge.
Other birds and squirrels will most likely eat them.
My cat likes them as well. (Climbs in with my beardie to steal them!)
Sun will cook them if they are in a container.
Any warmth will make them pupate faster.
Store the worms in the fridge to slow pupation.
For healthier worms place in a larger container with a chunk of apple or potato. (I actually give mine lots of different fruits and veg. along with whole grain bred dampened in water. Much healthier for my critters!)
Make sure there is enough bran that they can all hide comfortably in it.

That should keep your worms happy and healthy!

Old 05-24-2007, 07:06 AM

13,153 posts, read 17,421,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoe View Post
I will try point form this time.

Do you have a picture of your feeder? I don't think I have seen a bird feeder that can hold mealworms.
Feed meal worms in a shallow dish. High enough so the worms won't crawl over the edge.
Other birds and squirrels will most likely eat them.
My cat likes them as well. (Climbs in with my beardie to steal them!)
Sun will cook them if they are in a container.
Any warmth will make them pupate faster.
Store the worms in the fridge to slow pupation.
For healthier worms place in a larger container with a chunk of apple or potato. (I actually give mine lots of different fruits and veg. along with whole grain bred dampened in water. Much healthier for my critters!)
Make sure there is enough bran that they can all hide comfortably in it.

That should keep your worms happy and healthy!
Thanks for all the good pointers! I didn't buy the feeder at the store since it was quite pricey ($30). I may end up getting it, but I thought I could get by with something I rig up myself. Right now I'm using a small bowl. They told me at the Birds Unltd store that mealworms can't crawl up a smooth surface, so they won't crawl out of the bowl. I would like to be able to hang it, though, as I don't want my dogs to eat them! Yuk. (If you know labs, they will eat anything). I'll make sure the dish is in the shade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature