U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 09:35 AM

4,582 posts, read 5,005,073 times

Advertisements

We didn't get attacked yesterday but the Mocking bird was sure making a lot of noise. I couldn't get over how many different calls and sounds it was making. Bella and I just stood there listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 10:50 AM

12,411 posts, read 16,427,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinonawaffle View Post
I dont like them much. They chase the crows I try to feed, and I hte their aggression call. a rusty door. they are cute, but I hate that they are so aggressive. That tics me off..
One day, I may never see a raptor land in my backyard agian becuase of them. But I dont here them at night though.
I think I read that they are so aggressive because they have few eggs, sometimes only one. I have never seen one attack a crow. Crows frequently are seen feeding in groups. Mocking birds are just with their mate. Mocking birds are way smaller than crows, too.

Now that you mention it, perhaps crows intimidate easily. I have seen a few small birds chase off crows in the sky.

One thing that I saw that was new to me - a squirrel's nest was in a nearby tree. This was in the early spring, I think. A migrating flock of starlings happened by and they ALL teamed up and destroyed the nest. it was a big nest and took a very long time, but they persevered until there was not a shred of it left.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Oh yes! One of my dogs in particular has proven himself to be quite skilled at catching pigeons. It was quite entertaining to watch his befuddlement and dismay when he learned that mockingbirds are not pigeons and he was now the one resorting to flight to escape the wrath of the avian nation. The single mockingbird had no difficulties intimidating all three of my dogs and mandating a strict no dog zone in its chosen corner of my yard.
For some reason they build their nests in low shrubs. Doesn't make much sense. But because they do, maybe it's a lucky thing that they are aggressive. I know bluejays will dive for your eyes sometimes if you irritate them.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:26 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,095,343 times
I find myself re-visting this thread as I was recently made a fool of my two resident mocking birds. At least one of them has begun mimicking a quail call....from the top of a 50ft. tall walnut tree...and the feathered prankster actually made me look!

Old 07-05-2010, 08:31 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,865,604 times
Yes they can be really annoying. We have one that sounds like a child screaming. Only in the middle of the night of course.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:17 PM

515 posts, read 650,098 times
I see them here all the time during spring and summer. They made life for our cat a living nightmare....lol. Poor cat learned not to show herself in wide open areas of the lawn. She would use the shrubbery as cover to avoid being dive bombed by the mockingbirds.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomersBoy View Post
I see them here all the time during spring and summer. They made life for our cat a living nightmare....lol. Poor cat learned not to show herself in wide open areas of the lawn. She would use the shrubbery as cover to avoid being dive bombed by the mockingbirds.
They tend to make their nests in lower areas, like shrubbery. Then they spend much of the year dive bombing people and animals who walk near the nests. The trick is to walk around in those areas a lot in the early spring so they will make their nests away from your haunts.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:03 PM

34,914 posts, read 31,952,177 times
You have to train them before they start mating or get a nest going. Go out about an hour after dark and hit the tree with a water hose. They'll find a dryer place to setup camp. You'll have sleepless nights if you let them roost there long.

I like em cause they keep the crows in check. Crows rip out songbird nests and eat the eggs and young.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You have to train them before they start mating or get a nest going. Go out about an hour after dark and hit the tree with a water hose. They'll find a dryer place to setup camp. You'll have sleepless nights if you let them roost there long.

I like em cause they keep the crows in check. Crows rip out songbird nests and eat the eggs and young.
Yes, but we are troubled by hawk attacks when we feel our birds. Crows will gang up on hawks and chase them away from our birds. Few birds with tackle a hawk.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:06 AM

15,371 posts, read 34,582,229 times
We have some Crows[Africanized killer Doves] and some Thrashers and about a million Sparrows....a couple of Mountain bluebirds, one Airizona Cardinal that didnt make the cut this year.

BUT, the one that RULES the waterfountain is the HUMMINGBIRD.....you can hear him when he rises up over the front gate [He sounds like a blackhawk Helicopter] and ALL the other birds leave the fountain so he can drink in peace......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature