U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 02:02 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,025,783 times

Advertisements

I know this is an OLD thread but I feel the OP's pain. I dealt with that when I stayed at my parents. The first night I couldn't believe what I was hearing thought it was cool. The second night not so much. I had a tree RIGHT NEXT to my bedroom window. Tried the white noise ear plugs and even music to drown it out. Still can't believe how LOUD they can be.

I actually did a search on this via Google and found out there are quite a few people that have the same problem...lol. If its not the "singing" to attract their mate, they chase other birds, and attack other animals. It was pain taking my dog out in the back yard only to have it being dive bombed constantly by this little monster. Not a fan of the Mockingbird at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 08:30 AM

154 posts, read 37,817 times
Was sure there would be a thread on this.

F'in mockingbirds. What a loud obnoxious bird! Non-stop noise is what it is.

Any tips?

Old 05-27-2019, 10:21 AM

8,842 posts, read 2,658,662 times
Move to the Northwest or North-Central states?
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/...ird/maps-range

Old 05-27-2019, 02:39 PM

5,308 posts, read 2,754,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitz View Post
Somebody please tell me I'm not the only one...

We have mockingbirds in my neighborhood. They are apparently nocturnal, and sing from about 11pm to 11am. All. Year. Long. They are LOUD. They don't have their own songs - they get their name because they take bits from other birds' songs and sing them...over, and over, and over, and....

My mockingbird has apparently decided it wants to imitate the neighbor's car alarm. All night. Every night. Did I mention it's hard to sleep in earplugs?

Cute, unassuming little buggers, aren't they? Apparently it's illegal to shoot them... My cat isn't helping me out much either.

Anyone else plagued by night of the living songbirds?
We need a video with sound!

Old 05-27-2019, 08:53 PM

8,842 posts, read 2,658,662 times
^
That post was 9 years old.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:17 AM

37,690 posts, read 55,360,122 times
^^^ So? Mockingbirds are still there...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-28-2019, 04:38 AM

644 posts, read 142,532 times
It’s an old post, but I was just thinking about mockingbirds, and how much I miss them! To me, they always sounded cheerful, and I was amazed at how they could change tunes. They actually would put me to sleep at night, although I never heard one mimic a car alarm.

I had a boyfriend whose cat was terrorized by mockingbirds. They would wait for the cat to go outside, then dive-bomb him & peck his head (I was on the bird’s side, that cat was mean!)

I moved from SoCal to PNW, no mockingbirds here. At least there are bald eagles, they’re pretty awesome.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:36 AM

1,188 posts, read 290,095 times
They are our state bird. Can't harass them at all. If you've ever seen them go after a marsh crow or vulture, you can't help admire their spunk.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:04 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,019,996 times
I am up above the latitude of Albany NY, we have mockingbirds here. They keep moving north. You want to hear annoying, try a whippoorwill at 4 AM.

When we were snowbirding in AL, I loved sitting out on the balcony at night listening to the mockingbird sing. Of course, the bedroom was at the other end of the condo!!

Old 05-28-2019, 09:28 AM

5,308 posts, read 2,754,696 times
I love when mockingbirds make it to wherever I am. Last spring a few came our way and reeled off their repertoires. I began repeating each call. The bird would pause as if thinking what new call to mimic next to outdo the human imitator of the avian imitator. After a few rounds of this, the bird would go silent.

They only stayed a few weeks before migrating, probably to cooler and wetter climates. So far this month I have not heard a single one even though this is when they arrived last year. But unlike last year’s widespread SW drought, this winter and spring have been generous with snow and rain and coolness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature