Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 04:14 PM

860 posts, read 2,056,317 times

Advertisements

There's already the beginnings of at least a tropical storm brewing off the coast of Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 05:37 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times
This all seems to have got far too political.

I wonder how much money, and time has already been wasted in placing blame.

It was an accident, and it happened, but shouldn’t be allowed to happen again.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:09 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
There's already the beginnings of at least a tropical storm brewing off the coast of Africa.
Can you imagine a hurricane blowing that oily crap over everything? Not to mention the health ramifications!

I really don't care anything about the placing of blame or the politics involved. What I do care about is that the tourist driven economy of Florida, which has already been suffering due to all the economic problems....really can't absorb any additional losses. So many are already out of work and business after business closing daily.

Florida, all the gulf states and Mexico as well.....needs a miracle.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:16 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
the miracle arrives?

Headline News

Hooters Girls donate pantyhose to clean up Gulf spill

June 14 -- Instead of heading to the landfill, used nylons that have spent time on the legs of Hooters Girls from across the country will help sop up spilled oil in the Gulf of Mexico. In "Project Pantyhose" the Hooters company is hoping to collect more than 100,000 pairs of torn nylons from its employees and send them to environmental agencies and non-profits such as Indigo Ocean and Matter of Trust. These companies will stuff the nylons with hair, fur and fleece to absorb the oil. The companies estimate the nylons have the potential to absorb up to a million gallons of oil, according to Hooters of America Vice President of Marketing Mike McNeil.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:30 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
the miracle arrives?

Headline News

Hooters Girls donate pantyhose to clean up Gulf spill

June 14 -- Instead of heading to the landfill, used nylons that have spent time on the legs of Hooters Girls from across the country will help sop up spilled oil in the Gulf of Mexico. In "Project Pantyhose" the Hooters company is hoping to collect more than 100,000 pairs of torn nylons from its employees and send them to environmental agencies and non-profits such as Indigo Ocean and Matter of Trust. These companies will stuff the nylons with hair, fur and fleece to absorb the oil. The companies estimate the nylons have the potential to absorb up to a million gallons of oil, according to Hooters of America Vice President of Marketing Mike McNeil.

I'm not sure this will be more effective than a boom. The problem is that we are coming into storm season and there is no containing the oil with either one of those.

I do hope everyone recognizes the fact that crude oil is NOT the same as the oil you buy in the store. It is dangerous stuff. I'm so shocked the media isn't even covering that part of the story. It sucks the air out of you. Anyone in the Navy or Coast Guard is very well aware of this.

Quote:
This gas is contained in the crude oil as it comes from the wells. It not only has a vile odor, it's also poisonous—it can kill you if you inhale it. And it's corrosive. If the crude is "wet"—that is, if it contains water—the H2S and the H2O will react to form H2SO4—sulfuric acid, a heavy oily liquid that can eat its way through a steel pipeline or storage tank.
Saudi Aramco World : Sweetening Up the Crude

Old 06-15-2010, 08:35 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Can you imagine a hurricane blowing that oily crap over everything?
I keep envisioning the jar I use for mixing salad dressings. Not a pretty picture!

Old 06-17-2010, 10:22 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
What is the real reason your on to me so much ? It's not the love of the families , it's something else I said you don't like, so lay off . Maybe your an illegal or a liberal , feminist ?

Whatever save it for that discussion, this is about oil spill .
I'm quite certain that an examination of the contents of this thread will reveal that I have not addressed you at all.

I don't understand the assumption that "love of families" must be insignificant, my birthplace is well documented, I have never voted left of center and I haven't the slightest clue why you brought up feminism. It's all moot because I'm not "on to you so much". Your comment that indirectly sparked the last few heated comments was germane to the discussion.

I'll be sure to make it clear when I'm talking to you in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature