Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2010, 12:03 PM

35 posts, read 133,219 times

Advertisements

Outside of the population size what would be some of the differences between these two cities? I would like to hear the pros/cons on both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 10:43 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,569,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed982 View Post
Outside of the population size what would be some of the differences between these two cities? I would like to hear the pros/cons on both.
Lincoln is a big town, Omaha is a medium sized city.

Everything is different. That about sums it up.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:26 PM

143 posts, read 111,909 times
Lincoln has the tallest building in NE, sits on the Missouri River, has the Old Market, Creighton University, 5 fortune 500 companies, and a freeway system. (850K metro)

Omaha has the state capital, sits on I-80, has the Haymarket, University of Nebraska, 0 fortune 500 companies, and no freeway systems to speak of. (290K metro)

Enjoy =)

Old 07-10-2010, 11:28 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,569,465 times
^^ Actually, you have that reversed,

Old 07-11-2010, 01:04 AM

35 posts, read 133,219 times
I have a 17 year old who is interested in a career in astronomy. Which of the two schools would offer a good start to this field of study?

Old 07-11-2010, 01:40 AM

3 posts, read 19,331 times
UNL by far. I don't even think UNO's planetarium is still open, I think they lost funding. UNL has a solid Astronomy department (as part of the Physics department).

[url=http://physics.unl.edu/]UNL | Department of Physics & Astronomy[/url]

Old 07-11-2010, 11:20 AM

143 posts, read 111,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
^^ Actually, you have that reversed,
Crap, you figured it out!!

Old 07-12-2010, 12:11 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,998,258 times
Actually, I did my doctoral work in physics at UNL. And, in fact, my undergrad (also at UNL) was an astronomy/astrophysics option. I hate to say this, as it saddens me, the UNL astronomy program is nearly completely defunct. UNL has a great physics program and if your daughter sought to go into any other area of physics I would give it a great recommendation. However, if she truly knows its astronomy or nothingthen I would recommend another university. The best in the region would be the University of Iowa or the University of Colorado.

All that said, astronomy takes a graduate background. And nearly all those who go to astronomy/astrophysics grad school have an undergrad physics degree, usually with a minor in astronomy (which is what I had). So at the undergrad level it may be a bit irrelevant as to the strength of the astronomy program as a physics degree from the best possible physics program would probably suit her better. Plus, UNL does have advanced astronomy/astrophysics classes it offers. I just want you to know that UNL no longer has what I would call a solid astronomy program. But its physics program, coupled with the sprinkling of undergrad astronomy courses, is definitely enough to get your daughter to a graduate astronomy program down the road.

On another note, I would also recommend to your daughter that she does a REU program during the summer after her sophomore or junior year (or both). Its basically a summer long research experience at another institution, and its usually paid. She could go to a place that is heavy in astrophysics and get that experience during those 1 or 2 summers.

I would also add that there is absolutely no comparison between UNL, UNO, or Creighton. UNL is by far the best option, even with the astronomy department at UNL slowly disappearing. UNL is the only school in the state that is a major research institution in physics. The opportunities that your daughter will have at UNL far far outweigh the opportunities she will find at UNO or Creighton.

Please feel free to send me a personal message if you have any other questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska