Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 08:37 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,865 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We will be relocating to Hastings in a few weeks and our stay will be about 4 months. Can anyone here give me an idea of good restaurants, shopping, and of course, the "must-see" things while in Nebraska. Anything bad about the area or places to absolutely avoid? Any info is greatly appreciated! Local festivals? Local foods? When we travel to a new area we like to experience the local flavor as much as possible, and by doing so have met some absolutely wonderful people along the way.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 11:55 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,129 times
A friend of mine grew up in Hastings. He said it's the meth capital of Nebraska, and has all the associated property crime that's usually involved.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:43 AM

482 posts, read 2,225,944 times
There is a meth problem in Hastings, but one individuals opinion on it is something that I would take a very long look at. The Hastings Police Department is doing the best job that they can in dealing with this problem, that is a bigger problem in Grand Island area.

As for good eating places when we have time to stop we always stop at the OK Cafe which is in the north part of town directly north of McDonalds. They have to us the best hot beef sandwiches that you can find. They give you a very big order with real masked potatoes. You have some nice cafes at the mall that is out by the airport at Hastings.

There is a Super Wal Mart on the highway going to Grand Island along US Hwy 281. During the summer they will have concerts at the Brick Yard park that is located south of the tracks in the south west part of Hastings and most of the time these are free to go to. They have a very nice downtown area as well that has many different kinds of stores that you will enjoy going through.

You can go to the Hastings Museum and take in a Lied Center movie. Also you can go to the park next to museum and watch the Rainbow Fountain that will be working. They have colored lights that put on a show. You can go to the Adams County Fair that takes place in August as well. They will have several big time shows that you can get tickets to that you might enjoy.

The best thing that you can do when you get there go to the Hastings Community Information Center to see what is going on that will make you four months in Hastings a time that you can enjoy.

As for any bad areas I for one know of none in Hastings that I would consider bad areas. The City is just not big enough to have any real bad areas in it. They do a good job in keeping the City clean and keeping the building well maintained as well. They do have some pride in their city that other cities the same size do not.

What will you be doing when you are in Hastings?

Old 06-26-2007, 07:08 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,865 times
Thank you.

Husband will be working on a construction project... I on the other hand, will be enjoying the local shopping and tourist attractions. A family member of mine told me to be sure and see something called "Pioneer Village"? How far is it and is it worth the time?

Old 06-26-2007, 07:34 AM

482 posts, read 2,225,944 times
It is located in Minden Nebraska. Minden is about 30 miles west of Hastings along Hwy 6&34. It is on the north side of the highway at the stop light. It has a lot of interesting displays that we have taken our family to see now about 4 or 5 times and we always have enjoyed going there and taking our grand kids.

You also might want to go to Kearney to see the arch over I-80. This is where all of the western trails came together when everyone was heading west to California and the west coast. It is interesting as well.

Also in Grand Island right along US Hwy 281 as you go into Grand Island you will find the Sturh Museum where they have restored a old western railroad town with working craftmans, blacksmiths and carpenters. They did have a steam engine train that went around the grounds but the insurance and maintenance costs ended this. It also is very interesting to go see. Grand Island is the town where Henry Fonda was born and they have his birth home on the grounds at Sturh. You can see it as you go toward Grand Island on your right.

Just outside of Hastings on the first gravel road that goes south, right after you go over the railroad tracks as you leave Hasitings, you go about three of four miles you will find a interesting craft store on your left. My wife loves this as they have a bunch of things there. She wants to stop when she has time. I sorry but I don't know the name of the place just know how to get there from Hastings. I have only been there one time. I have not had the chance that she has had as I work for the United Nations in Europe in Kosovo and will not be back in Nebraska until next year.

Enjoy Hastings and please ask me anything you like. I will answer any of your question that you put to me.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:12 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,065,723 times
If you like Chinese food Hunan's is the best, they have the biggest crab rangoon.
The Wagon Wheel was a good bar to go to (very laid back) when I was in that area, if you're into that. There was another one around the corner that had karoake on Wednesday nights that was a lot of fun too but I can't think of the name of it. So you're aware the bar on the main drag (heading west out toward the mall area I believe) doubles as a strip club some nights. Someone else may be able to remember the name???
I was in college when I lived there so you can guess how much studying I got done,lol.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:23 AM

1 posts, read 7,305 times
I lived in hastings all my life, as far as having a family and raising them in a good community,a fair community,and being an open minded person, it has its advantages and disadvantages just as any other place.It does have a drug problem but for the youth they have nothing unless your a family with wealth.Hastings as far as i see it has forgotten about our youth in some ways and i feel that's the reason for our drug problem.Generations change and we've got to change with them sometimes to save our communities.Hastings is afraid of advancement or anything new the older people with all the money that could make a change dont want to and scared of challenge. With this problem our drug problem wont change and people and children that can be somebody arent going to change,why should they nothing else changes.Im a black single mother that has family that has made history in hastings,ne and i have been on bothsides of the fence and being on the wrong side once in my life ive seen my hometown for what problems that are real and need to be changed. Making mistakes doesnt mean your no good to society it means that there are people that need help to bring them back to whats real. Yes their are some that you cant help and dont want help but thats not for all. Children that have troubled parents shouldnt be treated wrong cuz of what they might not know but being that their parent might have done wrong they are judged. The only person to judge us is our creator someday and he forgives so what gives ANYBODY the right to do so. Hastings can and is a very good community but we need people to stand up for our children. Better school authority that care about our future and will not give up and look only for a pay check .You want our drug problem to change start with our kids.Not just a dare program, not just the zone,give them something more.Spend some of the cash you put in drug task force to our kids cuz they are our future

Old 11-04-2008, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 6,324 times
How many railroad families live in and around Hastings? Does anybody commute from Grand Island to Hastings for work? What is that distance?

Old 11-04-2008, 06:58 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,148,567 times
As far has railroad families living in Hastings, I couldn't tell you. I'm sure there is a few and there is alot of blue collar workers in Hastings, so I would see no problem with a railroad family fitting in. Lots of people commute between Grand Island and Hastings. Its 4 lane road the whole way and its a little over 20 miles distance from each other.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:12 AM

737 posts, read 1,916,417 times

As far as eatories it has you typical fare. Nothing special.

If you hunt, Hastings has some of the best Goose , Pheasant, and Deer Hunting Nebraska has to offer.

Festivals........not much in the next few months, best to join a church and get active with it. Even for just a few months. Hastings is a big Catholic town.

They give out 100 free kool-aid packets to all the tourists and newbies. Just go to City Hall, second floor, room 212 ask for Maggie in the PR department.
They have the hard to find Berry Blu flavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska