Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 12:10 PM

2 posts, read 14,898 times

Advertisements

Well this is my first time posting here so be gentle.

I'm currently living in Omaha, and will be going out on a date on Tuesday. I'm looking for some suggestions for a great restaurant to take a girl to, and places to walk in or around the Lincoln area. As far as walks go, I really would like to take her somewhere scenic in the city/around a lake, OR somewhere in the country where we could stargaze without any ambient light pollution (Could be anywhere between Lincoln and Omaha).

Also, I would love to hear any fun suggestions for things to do in the area, specifically in the fall/winter time for Lincoln, Omaha and the surrounding areas. I know that there are some lakes where you can do sailboating, etc but I'm at a loss for what to do when the weather is colder. Anything beyond the typical (movies, sporting events, etc) would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

edit: Oh, and neither of us really enjoy the club/bar scene, or drink much. We do like to go dancing, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 03:48 PM

34 posts, read 103,916 times
As for a great restaurant, it depends on the type of food you are looking for and how much you want to spend. Lincoln has Billy's Restaurant (expensive), Vincenzo's, Dish, The Venue, etc...

As for the lake or anything with scenery, Holmes Lake just south of 70th and Normal is a common place but the police will kick you out after certain hours. Im not sure what the hours are.

Im not sure of any close place to stargaze. You would probably be better off around Ashland or somewhere away from the city.

For fun things in the colder weather beyond the typical...good luck. Lincoln doesnt have much. The only thing I can think of for dancing depends on the music you like. Sunday night is country night at PlaMor Ballroom and I think its the 3rd Thursday of the month is Swing. Uncle Rons has some concerts and country dancing Friday and Saturday. The Royal Grove would be more of the rock scene but I havent been there since they reopened so I dont know what they have now.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:10 PM

2 posts, read 14,898 times
Thanks for the input! After looking around a bit, I decided to have dinner at Vincenzos after a movie at the Mary Riepma Ross Theater on UNL, and then to go walk at the Sunken Gardens (Beautiful!) located at 27th and Normal.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:18 PM

4,531 posts, read 8,815,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3lior View Post
Thanks for the input! After looking around a bit, I decided to have dinner at Vincenzos after a movie at the Mary Riepma Ross Theater on UNL, and then to go walk at the Sunken Gardens (Beautiful!) located at 27th and Normal.
The sunken gardens is looking better right now than I have ever seen it. Right around sunset it is especially aromatic and colorful. It isn't lit too well at night but light pollution from traffic would not make for the best star gazing. However like most parks in Lincoln they have a curfew after certain hours. To see what those restictions are you could check on the Intelinc website for Parks & Recreation rules.
Enjoy,
GL2

Old 09-28-2010, 09:47 PM

696 posts, read 1,719,083 times
I would head out to Branch Oak Lake area for stargazing. Of Course you need a state park permit to get in.
The north side just pass the marina has primitive camping which should be near empty this time of year.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:57 PM

27 posts, read 107,967 times
The Sunken Gardens is so obvious. If she's a girl and has been on dates in Lincoln, you can bet she has been to the Sunken Gardens 75% of the time.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:38 AM

300 posts, read 1,174,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaMac View Post
The Sunken Gardens is so obvious. If she's a girl and has been on dates in Lincoln, you can bet she has been to the Sunken Gardens 75% of the time.
I'm a girl and have on dates in Lincoln and have never gone there on a date.
Come to think of it, I can't think of a SINGLE girlfriend of mine that has. So much for 'obvious'.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:41 AM

696 posts, read 1,719,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerahrtlu View Post
I'm a girl and have on dates in Lincoln and have never gone there on a date.
Come to think of it, I can't think of a SINGLE girlfriend of mine that has. So much for 'obvious'.
I haven't been there either.
Lets go together this weekend.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:02 AM

737 posts, read 1,908,043 times
I would take her to the Lincoln,NE Airport and fly her to KC for the weekend.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:55 AM

68 posts, read 227,789 times
Ok, lets not get crazy here, we all know there are no good flights out of the Lincoln Airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska