U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 06:17 AM

20 posts, read 54,136 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to NE (Lincoln, maybe Omaha). I have posted before but still am not clear on what schools we should focus on. If you could send your high schooler ANYWHERE in either city, public or private (assuming money not an issue), where would you send him for the strongest academics and college placement? I have boys. Their main extra curricular interests are music (orchestra/band) and tennis. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 11:51 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,811,525 times
Take a look at Creighton Prep in Omaha. Great college prep school and have really good band and Tennis at the school. It is an all male school and is a Catholic school so that is something to consider, but education wise it is top notch and very well respected.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:17 PM

300 posts, read 1,052,503 times
^^ Agreed
Now public - in Lincoln, I would send them to southwest if I felt comfortable in more richer neighborhoods. (I'm a middle class gal all the way)
In Omaha, probably the Millard District.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:40 AM

7 posts, read 18,887 times
We are moving to the Omaha area soon, and I am planning on visiting 4 or 5 schools at the end of the month, so I will give you what my impressions are after we return. I also posted a question about high schools, so search the forum for that post. I got lots of responses. Good Luck!

Old 10-14-2010, 11:18 AM

3,096 posts, read 6,461,127 times
omaha north and omaha burke are good in ops

if youre out west omaha, i suggest millard south or millard north

Old 10-18-2010, 09:07 AM

25 posts, read 64,640 times
I would highly recommend Papillion-LaVista High or Papillion-LaVista South High if you want to be in the Omaha area. Top notch administrators, faculty members, and programs at both schools. The Papio South band is top notch and has won several awards! Tennis is very good at both schools. I truly think Papillion/LaVista is the BEST district in the Omaha area. Both of my parents are retired teachers so this is why I am recommending this district

Don't know enough about the Lincoln schools. Good luck with your decision!

Old 02-23-2011, 12:17 AM

12 posts, read 47,638 times
I was born and raised in Omaha, and I have high schoolers and college students of my own. If I could go back and do it all over again, here is a list of the only public schools I would ever consider for my kids:

Millard North
Millard West
Papillion-LaVista
Papillion South
Westside

Don't listen to the people on this site who just blather on about how good Omaha North and Burke are. They aren't! One of my kids went through North, and while she DID get a great education, she had a very hard time socially because she isn't into the whole ghetto-fabulous lifestyle. She was so glad to get the hell out of there at graduation! Burke might be farther west, but it's just as bad, if not worse. We pulled our son our out of Burke and sent him to Prep. He's at Stanford now on scholarship. Don't be fooled by the OPS magnet programs, either. You can polish a turd all you want, but it's still a turd. OPS is a horrible school district. Benson, South, and Northwest are especially bad. Do your homework and research and you will find out that the statistics back up what I'm saying. Stick to west or southwest Omaha, and you won't go wrong. Of our three kids still at home, two go to Millard North and one goes to Marian, and we are very pleased with both schools.

If you're interested in private schools, most of them here are Catholic. They're all really good and worth the money. Also, most of them offer financial aid and tuition breaks, so don't be afraid to ask for them. Creighton Prep, Marian, Duchesne, Gross, Skutt are the Catholic ones. Brownell-Talbot is is private and non-religious.

And I don't really care if this whole diatribe sounds elitist. Maybe it is. Who cares??? I'm a parent, and it is my job to make sure my kids have the best I can give them. I'm not going to put my children in inferior schools and sacrifice their educational opportunities just to prove how diverse and accepting I can be. It's one thing to talk about vague ideas, pie-in-the-sky policies, and politics. It's quite another to gamble with your children's futures. And guess what? My kids aren't white, and they were always accepted and valued as the talented individuals that they are. Even at their predominantly white schools.

I do not know very much about Bellevue, so I can't help you there. I do believe that it is more diverse than west o, and it does have a better academic reputation than OPS. I do not know anything about Lincoln schools.

I wish you the best of luck in your search!

Last edited by freestuffjones; 02-23-2011 at 12:32 AM..

Old 02-23-2011, 08:15 PM

124 posts, read 105,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freestuffjones View Post
I was born and raised in Omaha, and I have high schoolers and college students of my own. If I could go back and do it all over again, here is a list of the only public schools I would ever consider for my kids:

Millard North
Millard West
Papillion-LaVista
Papillion South
Westside

Don't listen to the people on this site who just blather on about how good Omaha North and Burke are. They aren't! One of my kids went through North, and while she DID get a great education, she had a very hard time socially because she isn't into the whole ghetto-fabulous lifestyle. She was so glad to get the hell out of there at graduation!
I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. My kids went to North, got fantastic educations, and had absolutely no "social" problems of any kind.

I don't know if North still has it, but they used to have the only Honors Orchestra program in the entire metro area. More students from Omaha North were in All-State Orchestra than any other school in the state.

North is also a Magnet School, and just this year opened a new High Tech wing. Omaha North Unveils New High-Tech Wing - Omaha News Story - KETV Omaha (http://www.ketv.com/news/24640317/detail.html - broken link)

North has a high drop-out rate, because they make no bones about the fact that you can't force kids to go to school, and you can't force kids to learn. But the education that awaits kids who will take school seriously are unsurpassed.

In short, don't believe all the West Omaha "ghetto hype" about Omaha North. Hundreds of kids drive in from West Omaha to go to Omaha North High School.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:14 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,689,603 times
Kids drive from all over the city to go to the school they want to. Its just how Omaha is.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:21 PM

12 posts, read 47,638 times
@DavidGeorge

I didn't say her actual education was subpar. Far from it. But when you weigh it all out, the socioeconomic demographic at North ruins that school. If you picked up that school, teachers, buildings, and all, and magically transported it to west Omaha, it would be the best high school in town.

Sadly, that will never be the case. You can throw money at a school and boast about new technology, but that doesn't change the underlying demographics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or