U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2010, 07:22 AM

19,187 posts, read 14,947,409 times

Advertisements

We are in SE Kansas and looking to improve on that situation. I would love to live remotely but am not finding anything in Kansas that meets my requirements. Is there any information sources that are better than other in researching areas in Nebraska? Here in Kansas we have Blue Skyways a part of the Kansas library system and it offers the best info across the board for Kansas. I know there is some info here on city-data but am looking for something more in-depth. We have visited Lincoln and Omaha but while wonderful, too big, too many people. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 09:41 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,340,732 times
Well I'm pretty remote, but then, I'm in Kansas.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:00 PM

4,231 posts, read 7,241,537 times
What exactly is it you are looking for Anywhere Else? If you expect the amenities of a bigger city SW Nebraska and NW Kansas will be a disappointment. However if you appreciate small town living, wide open spaces with great hunting,fishing, bird watching and clean air and water you will love it. I am making the move to McCook next Spring if things don't get sidetracked. The Amtrak service in McCook right now is a big plus to me. Typically the small town school systems have top notch teachers with great schools. Most small towns in the area have more churches than bars but finding a place to wet your whistle is pretty easy. Just remember there are no secrets in a small town LOL.

GL2

Old 10-27-2010, 05:55 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,340,732 times
Quote:
I am making the move to McCook next Spring
'Bout time.
We'll have to do lunch at Seinerts sometime.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
'Bout time.
We'll have to do lunch at Seinerts sometime.
That sounds like a plan Fred. I would have moved there last year but the tragic death of one of my Nephews last year made me decide to stay around here until the situation improved. I am really looking forward to visiting some of the fishing holes in the area next spring.

GL2

Old 11-23-2010, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
What exactly is it you are looking for Anywhere Else? If you expect the amenities of a bigger city SW Nebraska and NW Kansas will be a disappointment. However if you appreciate small town living, wide open spaces with great hunting,fishing, bird watching and clean air and water you will love it. I am making the move to McCook next Spring if things don't get sidetracked. The Amtrak service in McCook right now is a big plus to me. Typically the small town school systems have top notch teachers with great schools. Most small towns in the area have more churches than bars but finding a place to wet your whistle is pretty easy. Just remember there are no secrets in a small town LOL.

GL2
hi, i am just wondering if you know of anybody that leases land for people to hunt cause i need a place to hunt for the 2011 season and that have big deer. Please email me back if you get any informaion. thank you

Old 12-13-2010, 01:48 PM

bigdeerhunter94,
If you want to spend a ton of money you can arrange for an outfitter to make provisions for you but you don't have to lease a hunting site in Nebraska or Kansas unless you want to. The only legal requirement (for non-resident hunters) is to have written permission from the landowner. In SW Nebraska and NW Kansas there are great hunting opportunities for both White Tail and Mule deer. The South Branch of the Republican River runs out of Colorado (Bonny reservoir) and angles across Kansas and into Nebraska. The North Republican runs through Wray, Colorado into Nebraska. All along these two valleys and along the breaks around them the hunting is great for Deer and small game.

For Deer hunting you might want to place a classified ad in one of the local newspapers a few weeks before season. Nebraska has a few Wildlife Management Areas that are open to the public for hunting with just a Park Permit in addition to licenses. See this website for information Nebraska Game and Parks Commission . My family owns land in the area but it is prime farm land and not the best for hunting. Think an area as flat as a pool table for miles and miles. The areas around both the North and South branches of the Republican River are rolling hills with canyons (breaks) that have great deer habitat. Most of them munch on farmers wheat, corn or Alfalfa and can get fairly fat and tasty. Stay away from the areas where there is a lot of sagebrush. Deer that eat sage get a gamy taste. I am sorry I waited so long to post this but I just checked this group today.

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska