Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 03:19 PM

696 posts, read 1,723,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I lived in Lincoln for 12 years, and went stir crazy living there- bad weather, no scenery or real places for outdoor activities, and just boring overall. Moved away a year ago and have never looked back, besides wanting to get back maybe once a year to go to a Husker game.

But everybody has different preferences- others may want a somewhat cheap place to live that is low key, and Nebraska definitely fits that bill.
Nothing to do is a state of mind not a location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 03:28 PM

2,812 posts, read 5,612,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
I don't buy the nothing to do aspect. Especially with all that Omaha offers and that is not that far away. We have everything entertainment option available in the 1.2 million people metropolex, unless you are bored until you mountain climb or surf.

That said, the weather aspect is very opinion based. Some people think the summers in the south are too unbearable (10-20 degree difference with a much higher humidity in the south; per climate data), but the winters are less harsh than the Dakotas, Great Lakes and the Mountain Ranges (Not necessarily the 'front range', but the mountain cities). I like to play pick up games of football and I can do that all year round (save about 3-6 weeks total out of the year for the extremes).

I personally have found that Nebraska is less extreme than most places as do other people, but even then I don't base my happiness on weather. Even in the south, north, mountains, lakes or Nebraska you don't have to be outside to be entertained.
People can buy that idea or not, but for my wife and I and others I know who left before it was the truth. We would go up to Omaha quite often on weekends to find some semblance of "something to do", and really the offerings were not so great. It depends on what you are happy with- but it just doesn't compare at all to what a more major metro area has to offer- not even in the same galaxy. Omaha is a smaller metro area, with about the same offerings for things to do as any other smaller metro area.
With that being said, I don't want to drag Omaha through the mud as it is a nice place in it's own right and is a great fit for many people.

And for weather- certainly there are other areas with worse climates, but there are plenty of areas that have much more desirable weather in all seasons as well. Again it just depends on what a person is in to- if they are not concerned about outdoor activities, and really only spend time outside going from the car to indoors, then weather is not- and should not- be much of a concern.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:31 PM

2,812 posts, read 5,612,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe_T3K View Post
Nothing to do is a state of mind not a location.
That is something I found myself saying to justify staying in Nebraska until I finally got out to a place that actually does have a lot more to do.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:35 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,189,381 times
Quote:
People can buy that idea or not, but for my wife and I and others I know who left before it was the truth. We would go up to Omaha quite often on weekends to find some semblance of "something to do", and really the offerings were not so great. It depends on what you are happy with- but it just doesn't compare at all to what a more major metro area has to offer- not even in the same galaxy. Omaha is a smaller metro area, with about the same offerings for things to do as any other smaller metro area.
With that being said, I don't want to drag Omaha through the mud as it is a nice place in it's own right and is a great fit for many people.

And for weather- certainly there are other areas with worse climates, but there are plenty of areas that have much more desirable weather in all seasons as well. Again it just depends on what a person is in to- if they are not concerned about outdoor activities, and really only spend time outside going from the car to indoors, then weather is not- and should not- be much of a concern.
I understand your opinion there are a few people that believe the same way as you. It might be in your genes, lol. That said, I have lived in other places and this place does have more of a fluctuating weather than a lot of places, but has the much less of the extremes that you see in the other regions. I guess we can owe that to being in the central part of the United States.

If I were to base weather as an important part of quality of living, then I would consider us more than most due to the fact that most of the year here are not in the extreme heat, humidity nor extreme cold.

Omaha is considered a regional entertainment hub for good reasons, especially around downtown. It's a city that is much more fun than it was 8 years ago and much more is about to come. If you read some of my other posts, you could see how the entertainment value here is really adding up as of late.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
That is something I found myself saying to justify staying in Nebraska until I finally got out to a place that actually does have a lot more to do.
Beside surfing which requires waves and mountain climbing what are the things that you can not do in Nebraska?????

Old 12-23-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Beside surfing which requires waves and mountain climbing what are the things that you can not do in Nebraska?????
Actually there is wind surfing on Lake McCaughnahey, but for this individual we'll pretend that doesn't exist.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Actually there is wind surfing on Lake McCaughnahey, but for this individual we'll pretend that doesn't exist.
Yeah I actually was a windsurfer for around 8 years.

You can occasionally still see windsurfers at cunningham and calco.

He is somewhat correct about the cold but that cold adds more to do.

Ice sailing (similar to windsurfing and can be seen regularly at Branched Oak Lake by Lincoln)
Ice fishing
Snowmobiling
Cross Country skiing

There is just so much to do if you use your imagination.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Yeah I actually was a windsurfer for around 8 years.

You can occasionally still see windsurfers at cunningham and calco.

He is somewhat correct about the cold but that cold adds more to do.

Ice sailing (similar to windsurfing and can be seen regularly at Branched Oak Lake by Lincoln)
Ice fishing
Snowmobiling
Cross Country skiing

There is just so much to do if you use your imagination.
Niobrary is a top 10 river to raft in. Loess HIlls and sand hills for hiking/biking, snowboarding or skiing. Nebraska has the highest concentration of rivers and has a lot of lakes to swim, boat, ski etc..

Some people feel good about themselves when they complain about other people/places and things. It is what it is.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:36 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,543,643 times
Quote:
Niobrary is a top 10 river to raft in. Loess HIlls and sand hills for hiking/biking, snowboarding or skiing. Nebraska has the highest concentration of rivers and has a lot of lakes to swim, boat, ski etc..

Some people feel good about themselves when they complain about other people/places and things. It is what it is.
Especially on a thread asking for positives of the state.

It's funny, I can always find something to do. I go to concerts, sporting events, movies, museums. I guess for some people, it's not good enough if it's not in a bigger city with bigger city prices. Oh well!

Old 12-24-2010, 01:54 PM

The sandhills have 3 golf resorts created by professional golfers. Ranches built out in central/western Nebraska by billionaires because... They like it here!

Nebraska IS the good life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska