U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 10:14 AM

697 posts, read 1,120,150 times

Advertisements

now if only they had a good football team
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 03:22 AM

554 posts, read 1,347,500 times
I just saw this forum on NE and I had to comment. I've lived in Denver my whole life and I doubt I'll move anywhere else. However, I have to say that every time I drive through NE or visit my distant relatives there, I have the best time!
Things I love about Nebraska:
  • Fireflies! I thought they were mystical creatures. They don't exist in CO.
  • The fair grounds. I can't remember what fair it was but it was the best one I've ever been too. They had huge firework displays, a real petting zoo where kids can pick up the animals (can't do that in Denver), and just all kinds of fun. It wasn't overly commercialized.
  • The huge fields of soy, alfalfa and corn.
  • Easy hwys to maneuver. I never got lost once!
  • Very nice, friendly people everywhere.
  • Nobody was snooty or pretentious.
  • The lush, green trees, leaves and grass in the summer. Denver is usually in a drought and everything turns brown by August. And when that happens, professional fireworks are banned. Fireworks are banned anyway in Denver.
  • Pioneer Village! I don't care what you say, I loved it!
  • The Henry Doorly Zoo. The desert dome & aquarium specifically.
  • The sideways traffic lights. (Why are they sideways?)
  • The Louis and Clark museums (there seems to be a lot of those)
  • The painted prairie dog statues all over town.
And I can go on and on. But it's getting late.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:21 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,700,800 times
In complete agreement with Pierce2011. As a military spouse who has lived all over the United States, our family LOVED living in Nebraska. The quality of life there is hard to beat. Beautiful countryside, wonderful people, abundance of things to do (Joslyn Art Museum, Henry Doorly Zoo--best zoo ever! Fontanelle Forest in Bellevue, and the Durham Museum of Western Heritage).

I am very disappointed we did not get to visit the Sand Hills or the northwestern corner of the state. We'll need to do that. GORGEOUS country!

Old 01-02-2011, 02:31 PM

554 posts, read 1,347,500 times
I forgot to mention the taxes! Everytime we bought something in NE, the price was exactly what it said it was. Like $4.50 was exactly $4.50! That is unheard of in CO!!! We pay out the nose for every little thing.

We spent a good deal of our time in South Sioux City, NE. And from there we could visit Iowa, South Dakota and Missouri all within a few hours. If you have kids, take them to Aladdin's Castle (NE) and the Blue Bunny Ice Cream Museum and factory in Iowa. We always stop at the Great Platte River Road Archway Monument bridge in Kearney. I can't wait to go back this summer.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:50 PM

697 posts, read 1,120,150 times
now if only they would get a decent football team evil

Old 01-03-2011, 04:37 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,827,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the old man View Post
now if only they would get a decent football team evil
Before the last four games of the season I would have had something to brag about. They certainly checked themselves out of the season a bit early this year, probably worn out from all the drama of the media and the Big12.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:02 AM

76 posts, read 197,857 times
Ahhh Pierce....how nice you are!

Old 01-16-2011, 06:55 PM

4,915 posts, read 7,842,071 times
Take if from one who knows, once an area becomes a desirable "relocation" spot, the things you once loved about it will change. And not always for the better. Let people think it's boring.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:42 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,971,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce2011 View Post
I forgot to mention the taxes! Everytime we bought something in NE, the price was exactly what it said it was. Like $4.50 was exactly $4.50! That is unheard of in CO!!! We pay out the nose for every little thing.
Hmm. That's pretty unheard of in NE too, except on food purchases. Tax isn't high but it's there.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:44 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,971,142 times
I like T-storms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or