U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 08:28 PM

216 posts, read 331,297 times

Advertisements

Peru State College has made my short list of schools because it has eliminated out-of-state tuition, and offers low tuition and a generous and easy to set up tuition payment plan, which is great because I'll be self-pay and not using financial aid, since I don't want to take out loans and I'm no longer eligible for federal grants, as I've already earned one bachelors degree.

The problem I'm running into is how to GET to Peru, Nebraska. As far as I've been able to find, neither Amtrak, Greyhound, Trailways, nor any regional scheduled-route bus services go to Peru. I don't have a car, and I couldn't find any car rental companies in the town, so driving myself there doesn't look to be possible.

Does the college have a shuttle service that will pick students up in Lincoln or Omaha? If not, about how much would it cost to take a shuttle or taxi from Lincoln or Omaha? Both cities are about the same distance from Peru. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 10:40 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,011,277 times
You might try the Omaha or Lincoln Craig's List for a ride. Be cautious though. Even in Nebraska we have some weird and dangerous people. Peru is about 70 miles +/- from both Lincoln and Omaha.

GL2

Old 11-22-2010, 01:10 AM

Thanks, GL2.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:53 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,184,411 times
You can probably find a smaller, locally operated bus service that'll run out of Omaha to Peru.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:50 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,011,277 times
LadyRo,
I checked with the P.S.C and Arrow Stage Lines about Bus service from Omaha/Lincoln to Peru and was told that as far as they knew there was no direct service available in to Peru from either Lincoln or Omaha. A Taxi company could do it but you would probably be paying over $100 for a one way trip. I would say someone in the Peru business office could give you a better way of finding transportation. Maybe FACEBOOK?

Good luck,
GL2

Old 11-22-2010, 03:11 PM

Thanks, you guys. I already looked up the different bus services that run through Nebraska, and none go to Peru. I didn't look to see if they served towns across the river in Missouri, though, so I'll check that out next. Cab fares are regulated in Omaha, and it'll cost approximately $150 for me to take a taxi from the Omaha airport. The cost is $2.20 per mile, plus $3.00. According to Google Maps, Omaha and Peru are 65.6 miles apart, so I rounded up to 66 miles.

I spoke to someone in the admissions office, and she was no help. She just said it was the student's responsibility to get themselves to the school, and that the school didn't provide any type of airport shuttle service (not even for a fee). She didn't even try to offer any ideas or suggestions, and her attitude was kind of cold. Totally didn't make a good first impression of PSC for me. The housing director made up for it though. He seemed very personable.

I don't understand why a college in a tiny town (population under 1,000 except for the college), in the literal middle of nowhere with no bus or train service, would eliminate out-of-state tuition and then NOT try to help out-of-state students get to the school. That makes no sense to me, unless they were really only counting on regional students from closely neighboring states to take advantage of the offer. Oh well, maybe PSC is just not for me.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:56 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,184,411 times
Peru is hardly the middle of nowhere! lol

Chadron would be closer to the middle of nowhere. Though of course bus service goes there...

Old 11-23-2010, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post

Chadron would be closer to the middle of nowhere. Though of course bus service goes there...
You're right, of course. I was just cranky when I wrote that about Peru, LOL.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post

Your screen name... hmmm. Are you THAT Fred? The Nebraska tie is there, and your SN is Fred's greeting. Hmmm... If you are, this is one 39 year old woman who LOVES your creativity!!

How much Christmas cash are you getting this year? I hope you don't get another squirrel shaver! Munny-munny-munny-munny-munny...

Old 11-23-2010, 09:44 AM

123 posts, read 355,276 times
I was going to attend this college because of the cheap tuition cost and how it's mostly a teaching college...but the location is ridiculous. Nebraska City is the closest town of employment options but those aren't a lot...and the transportation there wouldn't be worth the low tuition costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska