U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 10:55 AM

78 posts, read 147,627 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that every city and town in Nebraska has left-to-right traffic signals:

Red Yellow Green

But Omaha is the only city that doesn't. They have the traditional top-to-bottom ones:

Red
Yellow
Green

Like that. I haven't seen that anywhere else in Nebraska except Lincoln, but they're older ones.

It's not a big deal, I'm just simply pointing that out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 12:55 PM

370 posts, read 1,158,910 times
"Every" city and town is a pretty broad statement. I've been in plenty of towns that still have top-to-bottom lights. Ogallala, North Platte, Kearney, Hastings, Scottsbluff to name a few. I'm sure there are many more--even the "one light" towns.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:23 PM

Well, then I rest my case. I knew Omaha had top-to-bottom lights.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:33 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,137,776 times
Bellevue

Google Maps

Old 11-24-2010, 09:47 AM

2,693 posts, read 4,650,746 times
I've been all over the country, and the only place I have seen the left to right signals (red yellow green) were in Nebraska. Everywhere else I have been I have seen the traditional top to bottom traffic signals.

I am curious, why do many towns in Nebraska do this differently, with the left to right signals? Not that it matters, but it's something I was curious about all the time I lived in Lincoln, why they decided to do these differently.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:32 PM

I don't know. Omaha doesn't have left-to-right lights. It's the only city in Nebraska that doesn't have them. They have the traditional top-to-bottom ones.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:41 AM

370 posts, read 1,158,910 times
Here is my observation... On multiple lane roadways with overhead lights, they are most frequently the left to right signals (in Nebraska and many, many, many other places). On two-lane roadways, you'll more frequently find the top to bottom signals.

However you often see a mix. Pull off of I-80 at any interchange rebuilt in the last 10 years and you'll likely find left to right signals on a bar over the top of the roadway and top to bottom signals on the side of the roadway on the poles.

That may explain why you see more left to right in the bigger cities (Omaha, Lincoln) and top to bottom in smaller towns.

However, the left to right exist in many more places than just big city Nebraska (that almost sounds like an oxymoron )--they are all over the country.

If I had time to research the Uniform Traffic Control manual (if that is the correct name...?), there is probably a standard imposed by DOT/NHTSA that is in use nationwide.

I'm just glad that this is the biggest news item we have to talk about in Nebraska...

Old 11-26-2010, 07:31 PM

20,786 posts, read 35,823,153 times
I love talking about traffic lights!

Unfortunately, NE traffic lights are not very interesting as they are all black plated.
In some states they have yellow plated, green plated, black plated, etc.
I prefer yellow plated stoplights myself with the LED bulbs.

Yellow plated stoplights give off a more old-fashioned feel.

To see examples do a search on city-data stoplight threads for pics.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:37 PM

1,681 posts, read 3,175,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I've been all over the country, and the only place I have seen the left to right signals (red yellow green) were in Nebraska. Everywhere else I have been I have seen the traditional top to bottom traffic signals.

I am curious, why do many towns in Nebraska do this differently, with the left to right signals? Not that it matters, but it's something I was curious about all the time I lived in Lincoln, why they decided to do these differently.
Just so you know Texas, Florida, New Jersey, and Wisconsin also have horrizontal traffic signals. The city of Chicago also uses horizontal signals near bridges due to better visibility.

Anyways in most instances it depends on the city or state that maintains that stretch of highway.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:15 PM

12,381 posts, read 23,314,967 times
Ive noticed that Florida , Texas and parts of the Midwest do alot of left-right Traffic light setups. My state only uses left - right setups in Downtown areas of Essex , Union and parts of Bergen county for some odd reason. We have Green , Black , Yellow , Blue painted lights , it varies county to county. We also now have Smart lights.

Here's a sample of the different lights in my state

Horizontal Lights

New Urban lights - used on the Main section of that neighborhood , comes with Cameras

Union County Lights - the poles are set up differently and there smart lights , also Ped dectors

Typical NJ setup - used all over the NE

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska