U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 04:01 PM

34 posts, read 93,209 times

Advertisements

Greetings~ My family is working on moving from Kansas to the Omaha area, only we have a few horses and have decided we would rather have them in our "backyard" than boarding them like we do now. I'd like 10-20 acres. What is the price of land like there, and is there much of it to be had?

We noticed a ton of beautiful cheap land in eastern Oklahoma... but we don't want to live there. I reckon there would be a lot in western Nebraska, but won't live there either.

I homeschool my kids, my husband will work in Omaha, so I'd like to be near enough but far enough from the city. Within an hour of the airport, if possible.

Thanks to anyone who has advice or information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 07:48 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,767,617 times
Have you been to Omaha and the surrounding areas before? You might consider places around Nebraska City, or in the Blair area, both within an hour of town. Or you could look in southwest Iowa. Parts of it are within an hour of the metro and Eppley Airfield. Property Taxes tend to be lower in Iowa. Are you looking for a house and land, or just land? The link below has acreages and land for sale, and should be able to give you a good idea of what land goes for on the Iowa side. They have a house with 20 acres listed for 92k. near Hamburg, Iowa, which is about 52 miles from Council Bluffs. I've seen several acreages in the Red Oak, Iowa area listed on realtor.com. Red Oak is a bit closer to the metro and the acreages higher from what I've seen in the past. You might also look at online newspapers in the area.

A 4 acre tract near a scenic area of Waubonsie Ridge near Sidney, Iowa and Nebraska City, Ne., lists for 21k. See the second link.

good luck to you.

Jim Hughes Real Estate - Southwest Iowa homes, acreages, commercial properties, lots and farms

J.J. Palmtag, INC | Nebraska City & Nebraska Homes for Sales & Real Estate - Listing Details

Old 01-18-2011, 09:21 PM

17 posts, read 35,706 times
Theres an acreage by Blair on this website-www.omahakellerwilliams.com, thats one site or theres also NP Dodge, several others just google real estate.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:33 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! It can be land or land with a house, either way. I had considered Iowa until I saw the homeschool laws are a pain in the butt. Also considered living right on the Kansas/Nebraska border, but it's a bit a commute for the man.

Funny you all mentioned Blair and Nebraska city-- late last night I had looked in several places and zeroed in on those two, especially Blair. I will check your links--thanks a mil. Property taxes are a huge consideration as well. I hear it's higher in NE than in KS?

Oh--somebody somewhere on one of these threads mentioned that north Omaha was a bit unsafe. Is it still safe to drive from Blair through north Omaha? I know there are places in KC that we will give a wide girth rather than drive through them, no matter how much longer it takes.

Thanks again.

(P.S. No McMansions! I'm not the type. 2000 sq ft is plenty.)

Last edited by VixenKS; 01-19-2011 at 03:43 PM..

Old 01-19-2011, 03:42 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,817,492 times
Odds are you would be coming in on HWY 75 from Blair and will be perfectly fine on the highway.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:55 PM

Oh good, thanks. Checking out some acreage with an old farm house on it at the moment. We're pretty handy, so fixer-uppers (to a point) are okay, too.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:12 PM

4,235 posts, read 7,271,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VixenKS View Post
Greetings~ My family is working on moving from Kansas to the Omaha area, only we have a few horses and have decided we would rather have them in our "backyard" than boarding them like we do now. I'd like 10-20 acres. What is the price of land like there, and is there much of it to be had?

We noticed a ton of beautiful cheap land in eastern Oklahoma... but we don't want to live there. I reckon there would be a lot in western Nebraska, but won't live there either.

I homeschool my kids, my husband will work in Omaha, so I'd like to be near enough but far enough from the city. Within an hour of the airport, if possible.

Thanks to anyone who has advice or information.
Since Eppley Airfield is in the Northeast corner of Omaha a 60 mile line from there would put you in some scenic spots for acreages. A few years ago there were several nice small acreages for sale near Blair. Scenic country IF you don't mind cheap electric rates from the Nuclear Power plant in your backyard.

GL2

Old 01-19-2011, 05:10 PM

Cheap electric is good... nuclear power plant in my backyard... dunno about that. We have the same set up in KS in Burlington. No one's died...

Old 01-19-2011, 05:49 PM

3 posts, read 4,881 times
I have ten plus acres for sale in SW Iowa (Walnut, Iowa) with a large 4-bedroom house needs some updating, large barn that needs some repair and would be perfect for horses, chicken house, corn crib, orchard, mature plantings of rhubarb, walnut trees. It's 45 to 50 minutes to Omaha about 5 minutes to I-80. On a paved road which is a big plus in that area. The local school system is very small, they did not consolidate with other towns. I grew up in this house and inherited it with my sister when our folks recently died. They owned it for 50 years. We would love to see it go to people who would love it and care for it. It's listed for sale at $135,000 and you should be able to find it on realtor.com. You could rent out the two grain bins on the property and almost have your taxes paid for the year. Oh, and electric is REC, rural electric coop, so its cheaper than the farms just down the road who are not on REC.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:03 PM

3 posts, read 4,881 times
oops, its listed for $131,500. Even better. There are 25 photos of the inside and out buildings and land on realtor.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska