Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 10:42 AM

252 posts, read 729,441 times

Advertisements

How is the movie theater faring, in your small town? Ours is a co-op, funded locally and run by volunteers.

I really enjoy the convenience and "keeping up" with current productions. In recent months, I have seen Social Network, Secretariat and just saw The Tourist. Am looking forward to the biggies like The King's Speech, The Fighter, and Black Swan.

Our theater is 'hanging on,' but it's always a numbers game. It competes with [Netflix, rentals, a dinner theatre, concerts, trips to Kearney and high school sports.]

The local Theater Board is so-oo good, but they report that attendance is somewhat down. There is a turning point where we have to have ticket buyers to stay alive.

So, I wondered how theaters are doing, in other small towns, across the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 05:53 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,207,542 times
Of the towns in my immediate vicinity, all of them are cooperatives and volunteer run. The manager is the only paid position.
One is struggling for the simple fact that they can never seem to get volunteers in to run it.

Financially, they all seem to be staying on the positive side of the books.

Interestingly, when we went to my folks' at Christmas, I found that my hometown's theater is now volunteer-run, also. I was surprised actually as Wayne is a pretty good sized town.
My folks had never heard of such a thing, but then in eastern Nebraska, I suppose it's still a novelty.

Out here they've been run this way for a decade or better...

Old 02-01-2011, 10:03 PM

76 posts, read 233,537 times
Geneva has a theatre run by volunteers. It's great! York has a thriving theater building with four screens. Crete's theatre is old and quaint with one screen. If one chooses to not drive into Lincoln and lives in York or Fillmore county, at least you have a few choices.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:45 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,512,719 times
blair also has a small movie theatre and is locally owned. Blair3Theatre

central city state theatre is the one in Central City Nebraska

Home Page is the one in Ogallala

Curtis-NE.com Star Theater :: Nebraska's Easter City is the one in Curtis Nebraska

Burwell has a movie theatre called the Rodeo Theatre

Rivoli Theatre is the one in seward. they have 2 movie screens.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:22 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,207,542 times
Those are all cooperatives??

Old 02-20-2011, 08:06 PM

76 posts, read 233,537 times
In addition to Geneva's locally run by volunteers movie theatre, they also sponsor live performances through the Nebraska Arts Council.

It's nice to know that small communities can offer movies and a variety of other experiences!

My sister and I just went to THE RITE at SOUTHPOINTE MALL in Lincoln. It was an early afternoon showing. The young person who sold us our tickets told us that attendance in the Lincoln theatres is poor. He said there are many week nights that have less than 50 tickets sold.

The economy, pay per view, DVD sales, etc.... have devastated many movie theatres.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska