U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 07:13 PM

252 posts, read 634,349 times

Advertisements

It'sMeFred: Actually, I'm a big fan, myself. But, you know... there is a wimpy image that goes with the Save the Whales-and-punt-the-Red-Meat gang. It's as disgusting as a Go Big Red necktie.

I like to hear NPR jazz (Sat. nite), on my way home, after a Husker game. vive red AND blue. ;/ sedaris and pelini
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 09:16 PM

696 posts, read 1,495,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I know quite a bit about frontier counties since my relatives own and operate a ranch in rural north-central KS south of the Nebraska border. Out there, the county seat towns are not even surviving at all. Everything is closing down and the last time I visited most towns were completely abandoned.

What are the names of these ghost towns. I think it would be fun to visit them. I was going to drive from NE to California this summer but with the price of gas I will have stay a little closer

Old 03-20-2011, 07:38 AM

4,179 posts, read 9,387,993 times
LOL @ Roots 'n bulbs - the lady who runs the Seed N Feed was talking to us the other day, trying to place us in a category... we're not tree huggers, even though we believe in and try to practice organic gardening. We eat meat, will buy a hog, bought a 1/2 cow last year to tide us over til the steer was big enough, we eat deer and wild turkey and our own chickens. We're not ranchers, not enough land except for our Dexter (which some call miniature) cows. We're not farmers, because we are more focussed on our cows than our gardening (even with the greenhouse and orchard starting). We bake our own bread, make our own pasta, and don't eat 'pre-chewed' processed food, but we don't care if anyone else does. We listen to Rock'n'roll and jazz and classical, not country, and I am involved with the Drama team. We don't care for NPR but we don't listen to the country stations either; we play our own music on the property, you are as likely to hear Mozart as Led Zeppelin coming out of the shop. We are planning/working on becoming at least partially energy- and self-sufficient, but we are not survivalists, ekeing out a living solely with our composting toilet, woodstove, and guns. We are football fanatics, but we don't listen to or care about basketball. We can talk about books, movies, or politics with equal passion. We work hard and play hard and keep to ourselves for the most part, pay for what we want in cash, not credit (which makes us different from the local ranchers who have to wait until they sell their cattle to profit). We can fix fences, or wooden chairs and tables, or weedeaters, and do for our neighbors. I make my own ceramics in the basement, and I painted the house bright-white with Husker Red trim, and the chicken coop and the shop match those colors; we have a pond out front with a cement raccoon fountain, not wagon wheels and cowboy decor. I am not above wearing costumes for Halloween or wearing my elf suit on Christmas, or a green wig on St. Patrick's Day... NOT the behavior of a 50-year-old in the Western country!

To be honest, she admitted that they don't know where to 'place' us; they know what we are and what we do, but we just don't fit into the proscribed molds.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:35 PM

[quote= ....
To be honest, she admitted that they don't know where to 'place' us; they know what we are and what we do, but we just don't fit into the proscribed molds. [/quote]

And, further....(I hope you got my gist.)..that's true of most of the people that I know in [dread this word--] outstate Nebraska!

Old 03-20-2011, 01:15 PM

4,179 posts, read 9,387,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roots'nbulbs View Post
And, further....(I hope you got my gist.)..that's true of most of the people that I know in [dread this word--] outstate Nebraska!
LOL Gotcha, no prob!

Old 03-20-2011, 03:58 PM

And, ...BTW, could we settle on that descriptor--without cringing and bias? There could be Lincoln, Omaha Ay-nd, admittedly, Outstate Nebraska.

Our outstate kids make-up a lot of Lincoln and Omaha? Maybe if they went into those towns with a better understanding of the differing economies, they would be more apt to find a way back out here. For example...........I did.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:20 AM

13,903 posts, read 19,076,418 times
Interesting

Old 03-22-2011, 04:59 PM
Status: "Days like this I think to myself "I hate living in Georgia"." (set 12 hours ago)

47,577 posts, read 45,256,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
What scares me the most - "legislators looking into luring businesses into counties that are losing population". This is almost always done with a heavy hand, lots of new rules and ordinances, handicapping the existing culture and strangling it while using taxpayer dollars to drag in businesses that don't stay more than 5 years. Having been involved in development for 20 years of my long and checkered past, this is NOT the way to encourage real, long-lasting growth, IMHO. (there was actually a business built that paid NO taxes in one county- and left a Federal Superfund mess that poisoned the soil and water when it moved out after five years. Another one built their business (and lined their pockets) tax-free for 3 years - then suddenly when the workers came to work, the doors were padlocked and the owners had absconded.) This destroys already fragile environments AND working populations. The aftermath of people who moved there to be employed and bought homes, etc was almost inevitably that they became drains on the taxpayer/welfare/housing systems that were built for them. But dam-my-eyes if governments don't keep on doing it! (The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results. Ergo, governments are insane.)

What I'd like to see is - people who want to come (attracted by a precise and planned, not a shotgun and ever-changing marketing plan) must pay their own way - but have less restrictions on what they can and can't do. As I said before, we came here because what we wanted would have cost us in the millions where we were from. If people can pay $50,000 for a nice solid home on a 1/2 acre in town (or less) they will have money and incentive to build their dreams - be it to own a store, make things, create things, institute things, without having their hands tied by government-grant-proscribed or ordinanced restrictions. People of all ages are thirsting for the freedom to create and develop, to dream and to do - whether it is to make their gramma's apple pie for the world to savor, or to build the things that their fathers and grandfathers taught them, or to raise the best greenhouse plants in the county. Restrictions handicap them in the larger cities and towns, as do the millions dumped into 'businesses' that couldn't survive without taxpayer dollars. Sorry, but the old "Go West" fervor can be capitalized on and should be reinstated - what MADE the West so great was it's bells-to-the-wall, unfettered freedom to achieve with hard work and effort- that is what made not only Nebraska, but the West and this country, so great - and could again. Especially with the access to the internet and a world-wide marketing ability!

If I ever win the lottery, I'll buy the next ranch up for auction, and show everyone how to do it... sigh... until then, I'll just have to make my own little grandiose plans for my own little acreage.

And I have to agree with OmahaHonors; most of the folks I've talked to - the families whose parents and grandparents live here, the families that had to move away - did so mainly because they could not support their families on Granddad's ranch. They would love to be here, but rural Nebraskans have a strange prejudice - they WANT their children to be educated, to learn, to achieve - and unfortunately when they go get that education, they can't use it on Grandad's ranch any more. Give them the opportunity to test the sky as their limits, to become who they want, WHERE they want - and you might see a change. What should bother Nebraskans - and Westerners in general, farmers and ranchers in particular - is that currently many large family properties being put up for estate auction are being bought by foreign, in particular Chinese, investors. What are they getting from our government - or what knowledge do they have that the ranchers' and farmers' families do not?
If a person wants an education, then a person wants an education. Nothing wrong with that. If a person doesn't want to be a rancher or farmer, then that is their decision.
And Chinese investors buying the land, I would like to know more about this. I don't see anything wrong with people buying the land. I just don't know what it's being used for if not ranching.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:33 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,340,732 times
Just as an FYI guys, an education and farming/ranching are not mutually exclusive.

One of my uncles is a dissertation short of his PhD. He decided he was tired of school, though, and went home to be a pig farmer.
My husband has his Bachelor's in AgriBiz. He's a cowboy by trade.
I have a number of friends and neighbors who are both educated and farm/ranch for a living...

Old 03-22-2011, 07:43 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,827,845 times
I'm not sure you guys know this, but there is only a few people in Omaha that think this way. I have heard 'outstate' Nebraska, but I've also heard Omahan's refer rural Nebraska as 'Greater' Nebraska too.

There is more respect for greater Nebraska coming from the big cities than you realize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or