U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-22-2011, 09:06 PM

2,583 posts, read 6,928,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
I'm not sure you guys know this, but there is only a few people in Omaha that think this way. I have heard 'outstate' Nebraska, but I've also heard Omahan's refer rural Nebraska as 'Greater' Nebraska too.

There is more respect for greater Nebraska coming from the big cities than you realize.
Agree (from a city person)
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 06:31 AM

4,179 posts, read 5,555,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Just as an FYI guys, an education and farming/ranching are not mutually exclusive.

One of my uncles is a dissertation short of his PhD. He decided he was tired of school, though, and went home to be a pig farmer.
My husband has his Bachelor's in AgriBiz. He's a cowboy by trade.
I have a number of friends and neighbors who are both educated and farm/ranch for a living...
Very true, it'sMeFred. Some of the ranch kids DO go back home with their degrees, and most of the adults I know here have had at least SOME college, if not Bachelor's and Master's degrees. Which makes my life very pleasant - I can make references now to history and literature, and the people here don't give me that blank vacant stare I used to get in SC, but can actually answer me in kind. When writing out my advertising for my friend's business, it is very odd and pleasant to have her insist on proper spelling, punctuation, and useage... something that was never an issue to my customers back east. Still - "How ya gonna keep em down on the farm, after they've seen Paree?" My own daughter lives in Vegas, as does her brother - college educated, there is so much more to do and see and enjoy there, so many more amenities, why do without for a week or two, waiting for an order, when everything is so instantly available, 24 hours a day? Not to mention that the work pays better, provides astounding (by comparison) benefits, and that they have masses of friends and aquaintances who can provide a whole social and endlessly active network. They come out here, love the pictures, love the idea of working the land and working with animals, raising their own food and not eating fast foods - but they are totally wrapped up in the 'now' of becoming and achieving in their own disciplines. (My daughter is engaged to an Oklahoma farm boy, who runs a security company in Vegas - every time he visits us, he loves it, sits for hours on the porch when he isn't working with the animals or exploring and hunting on 'the back 40' - but he and she have good jobs that pay for them to 'vacation' here.) They want to come out here finally and permanently - when they have achieved all that they want. Will they? Will it still be here when they are ready? Children and young adults think that things and circumstances last for ever, just waiting for them to take them up when they are ready.

As for the foreign investors, it is giving me the creeps. The Realtor who sold us this property has told me that, in their ranch auctions, foreign, mainly Chinese investors are bidding thru people on site. My son in Vegas has noted that there are a lot of ranches and farms being bought by foreign investors - many Chinese - as well, as have my cousins in Phoenix and CA, and my brother in ID. Now, I know that many foreigners in the past have received concessions and even money from the Federal Government to start/buy businesses and buy property in the States; this was done particularly after the Vietnam War. But in the past two years, they are buying not only rural property and acreage, but water and sewer departments, transportation entities (bus and local train services) - all manner of businesses. I have no 'official' information on it; no CNN or even CNS news coverage has addressed it except piecemeal, it is just something that people I know are noticing, wondering about, and talking about; in their own neighborhoods and emails. I'd like to know more about it too...

Old 03-23-2011, 11:54 AM

76 posts, read 126,412 times
My friend just sold family land in Fillmore County for over 8,000 an acre this last week. OMG!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska