Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 07:01 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,539 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am in Lincoln and last week at night I was pulled over while driving down a busy street. The officer fined me over $100 for throwing a cigarette butt out the window. I never knew I could get fined for that and I asked for a warning but they wouldn't give me one. Now I know better, of course. Would I have a decent chance at fighting this ticket? I've never heard of people getting such fines so I don't know how difficult it is to fight it. But I just think the fine is ridiculous for one cigarette. I would have to take off work if I went to court for this so I want to be confident that I have a good shot at challenging this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 09:06 AM

370 posts, read 1,356,586 times
You didn't know you could get fined for littering? I guess that seems like common sense to me, but common sense not withstanding, there are signs posted all over highways talking about littering and the fines associated with it.

Sorry, but ignorance of the law is no defense and you won't convince a judge otherwise.

You might just be thankful it was only $100 as those highway signs reference fines up to $1,000.

Now, do I think the fine structure may be wrong? Yes. I have a real problem with $100 to $1,000 fines for littering, yet you can drive down the road with your baby on your lap and only be fined $25.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but IMHO you would be best to chalk it up to experience, take your licks and move on.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:21 PM

76 posts, read 142,357 times
Boo Hoo. Don't litter. I'm sure you knew that such a thing is against the law, but you did it anyways. That's the risk you take. Take some responsibility for your actions and just accept the consequences.

On what grounds would you fight the ticket?

Old 02-08-2011, 03:40 AM

29 posts, read 67,474 times
Yeah, pay the $100 and don't litter anymore.

Just wondering, but what did you think happens to all those cigarette butts you've been throwing out the window?

Old 02-08-2011, 06:21 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,628,159 times
I with they'd get that tough where I live.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:32 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,888,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I with they'd get that tough where I live.
Exactly! Here in California you see signs alongside the freeway that warn of $1000 fines for littering- seems about right to me, although I'm convinced it has never been enforced. If I was a cop I would happily write those tickets all day long.

If you want to be a lazy ass slob and toss your trash out the window, especially cigarette butts (every single smoker -ok there might one or two that don't- tosses those disgusting butts on the ground every time and don't think a thing about it) you should be slapped with a $1000 fine. Especially knowing that you have tossed 1000s of butts out your window in your life.

I am sure this is the best thing that I will hear of all day. Bravo to the officer!

Old 02-08-2011, 10:57 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,231 times
If the cigarette was lit I would fine you a heckuva lot more and give you 90 days on top of it. If your lit cigarette started a fire that killed someone I would give you life. If I were you I would pay the $100 fine and consider it a valuable education. I know some of the Judges here in Lincoln and there are one or two of them that would just love to hear you try to explain how trivial tossing a butt out the window is. I'll be checking court records to see if you try to weasel out of it LOL.

GL2

Old 02-08-2011, 12:53 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,101,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Weston View Post
Boo Hoo. Don't litter. I'm sure you knew that such a thing is against the law, but you did it anyways. That's the risk you take. Take some responsibility for your actions and just accept the consequences.

On what grounds would you fight the ticket?
Is stupidity a defense????

Old 02-08-2011, 05:50 PM

2,177 posts, read 3,547,289 times
No sympathy here either. Ahhhh, what the heck fight it in court, that way when you are found guilty the fine might be even larger!!!

Old 02-08-2011, 06:11 PM

300 posts, read 1,179,135 times
Wow, y'all are harsh.
Most cops won't pull you over for doing that. Seems like you just got pulled over by a jerk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska