U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 05:37 PM

852 posts, read 1,197,016 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the advice so far...

This is our plan:

Our first night we plan to go from La Vista to Lake McCounagy (and we'll avoid I-80). We plan to stay the night here.

Next we're thinking about going from Ogallala to Cheyenne, Wyoming for a night. Anybody been to Cheyenne -- is it worth seeing?

From there we'll go to Scottsbluff for a night.

Next we'll hit Crawford and see the Toadstool area before heading home the next day on the highways in northern part of the state.

Any sights or restaraunts along the way that you can recommend will be appreciated.

By the way, I am about six blocks from Cabella's so Ill pass on the one in Sidney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 08:45 PM

2,585 posts, read 9,542,017 times
In Rock county stay at the Bassett Lodge in downtown Bassett. Right off of Highway 20: Untitled Document Been awhile since I've been there, but I think its still probably a good choice

Nebraska Game and Parks Commission - Parks - Area Search

Untitled Document

Nebraska Game and Parks Commission - Parks - Area Search

Old 08-20-2007, 07:05 PM

16 posts, read 94,883 times
Cheyenne has some interesting spots, but if you are cramped for time, its something you can skip. I used to manage the Holiday Inn back in the early 90's and my in-laws still live there. They have done alot with the downtown area, but its not a tourist destination yet.

When you come near Scottsbluff, be sure to try the Oregon Trail Wagon Train experience in Bayard. Its at the base of Chimney Rock and is about 20 miles from Scottsbluff. The owner is quite the story-teller, and he has some of the best prime rib and steaks around. Its very authentic, and that adds to the appeal. You would need to get more information because its very popular and I don't believe you can just show up without reservations. There's more information about it on Visit Nebraska - Travel & Tourism Homepage.

If you are looking for a good restaurant, then try the restaurant at the Scottsbluff airport. Sounds weird, but its the place we take out-of-towners when they come, and they have all been pleasantly surprised. They have a full menu (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and have decent steaks and other menu items for dinner.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:34 PM

Default Thanks!

I'll be sure to check out the restaraunt at the airport. I had heard about the Oregon Trail Train so I will look that up. At this point, I think we've ruled out Cheyenne. If you ever need to know anything about Omaha, let me know. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:43 PM

I just got back from the Chadron area. Did not have lots of time to poke around, but two things I might have looked at was the area around Fort Robinson and then the Fur Trader Museum.

If you have not seen the Badlands or Rushmore, that would not be a long run up to SD to see... could be an afternoon jaunt I think.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:56 PM

Default I leave on Thursday!

Thanks to everyone for their advice/suggestions. We leave Thursday morning and plan to take Highway 2 and then we'll head south to Lake McConaughy, where we will camp the first night. Any suggestions on a campground?

The following day, we'll probably head to the Scottsbluff area. We'll probably stay in a hotel there. Day three we plan to head to Toad Stool and probably camp somewhere near Crawford. Day four we'll start making our way back home and maybe stay in Valentine.

Any other suggestions as far as sights/places of interest, campgrouns, restaraunts, etc?

Thanks again!

Old 08-26-2007, 07:28 AM

482 posts, read 2,039,820 times
Just one suggestion for you yman97,

HAVE A GOOD TIME!

Old 08-27-2007, 07:24 AM

394 posts, read 933,024 times
yman, maybe we'll pass along the way. I am leaving Thursday also for basically the same trip although in reverse to yours. We will head from Elkhorn to Niobrara State Park and from there work our way to Valentine on hwy 12 where we will spend the first night. The next day we take hwy 20 across to Chadron, Ft Robinson, Toadstool, etc and then to Scottsbluff for night two. From Scottsbluff we head to Chimney Rock,Big Mac, etc and then take hwy 92 and work our way to Grand Island for night three. From there we take hwy 30 back to Elkhorn, no interstates for us either.

Have a great time as I know we will and drive safely.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:51 AM

I just took all the same roads as both of you a few weeks ago. You will enjoy the unique views and character of the land. Safe travels to both of you

Old 08-27-2007, 03:17 PM

209 posts, read 366,841 times
If you can, try to spend the night at Fort Robinson. I grew up in the Crawford/Ft. Robinson area and it's one of the nicest places in NE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska