U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 11:32 PM

3 posts, read 5,515 times
Exclamation Moving to Nebraska from Chicago, I don't know what to expect.

Hi all,

I may get a job at Peru State soon (hopefully). Its a good opportunity that I don't want to pass up.

I've lived in and around Chicago for my whole life. I'm used to a midwestern sensibility.

I'm 32, recently divorced and a bit of an academic. So I will be looking to date and get to know new people.

I don't know a soul in Nebraska but I'm trying to figure out:
-best places to live, I was looking at Auburn, Peru, Nebraska City, but worry that Omaha will be too far for a daily commute.
-typical apartment prices. I'm currently paying 850 for a 1-br here and am hoping to save.
-I'm Indian(South Asian), its never been a problem in any smaller place i've been too. Including the deep south, is it safe to assume the same in Nebraska. Also, I date from all across the racial spectrum. I don't want weird looks if i'm with a non-indian.
-I'm not religious, not knocking it but its just not my thing. Will I be out of place.

I'm just asking for general answers, I know that no one can speak for each person in a whole state, just like I can't speak for Chicagoans.

My experience is that I can mix into a place pretty well, so I'm not expecting any major culture shock other than big city to smaller city, which I have experienced. I just want to live around normal people.

Can anyone help out on this? Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 02:52 PM

54 posts, read 87,535 times
If you work in Omaha, move to Omaha, unless you prefer the small town living. I too am from Chicago and lived there until about 5 years ago and had problems adjusting even from Jacksonville, FL to here.

As far as "fitting in", you should be fine. People tend to be decent here, and as long as you come to like Nebraska football, booze, steaks, or some combo of those three you should be fine . Honestly most people are decent, some are not, like most places. Part of my dislike was being home-sick, and abundance of more culture which NE is not huge on (no offense)

I like Omaha well enough (midtown headed west), but if you are looking for "more space" or small town feel please look into Gretna, Elkhorn, Papillion, Ralston, or La Vista. They are close enough where the commute shouldn't be too bad, but can offer the more small town feel.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:14 PM

350 posts, read 301,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay79 View Post
Hi all,

I may get a job at Peru State soon (hopefully). Its a good opportunity that I don't want to pass up.

I've lived in and around Chicago for my whole life. I'm used to a midwestern sensibility.

I'm 32, recently divorced and a bit of an academic. So I will be looking to date and get to know new people.

-best places to live, I was looking at Auburn, Peru, Nebraska City, but worry that Omaha will be too far for a daily commute.
-typical apartment prices. I'm currently paying 850 for a 1-br here and am hoping to save.
-I'm Indian(South Asian), its never been a problem in any smaller place i've been too. Including the deep south, is it safe to assume the same in Nebraska. Also, I date from all across the racial spectrum. I don't want weird looks if i'm with a non-indian.
-I'm not religious, not knocking it but its just not my thing. Will I be out of place.

I'm just asking for general answers, I know that no one can speak for each person in a whole state, just like I can't speak for Chicagoans.

My experience is that I can mix into a place pretty well, so I'm not expecting any major culture shock other than big city to smaller city, which I have experienced. I just want to live around normal people.

I don't know much about either of those three towns but guessing you would have the best luck in Nebraska City because its the biggest of the three. Omaha and Lincoln are completely out they are way too far (you may think you can drive 70 miles each way per day but with gas prices and bad roads in the winter I think you would be a lot happier living in Nebraska City.)

Apartments in Nebraska City should be a lot less I would call a realtor or look in the local paper and they might be able to help you out that way.

Nebraska is more progressive than the deep south but then again it is conservative so I can't say there may not be a few rednecks (and I say that being a small town person) who might give you a funny look. That could happen anywhere though from Omaha to the Chicago suburbs to the deep south. Being in eastern Nebraska and in a town like Nebraska City should be fine.

Lincoln and esp Omaha seem like they have fair-sized Indian communities. There are a number of really good Indian restaurants in each and Indian grocery stores. In either case if you are used to the Chicago area you will probably find yourself going to either place on the weekend to hang out, shop, and enjoy the nightlife.

Not being religious is not a problem. A lot of 20 and 30 somethings don't go to church even in the small towns. They are either busy or don't feel like church applies to them (it is one of the most difficult times in one's life to be a young adult and oftentimes young adults start going to church a lot more often when they get married and have kids.) I would say if you had a family with kids you would probably get more invites from people to go to church but no one is going to shun you or frown on you for not going.

I suggest you repost asking about Nebraska City, Auburn etc in the subject line. That way you can find out a lot more from people who live directly in the area. As I am not from that area of the state I am not really familiar with them but wanted to make sure your questions got answered. Good luck on the job and hope you enjoy it here!

Old 06-18-2011, 10:31 AM

3 posts, read 10,882 times
The Pawnee, for the most part, will leave you alone. The Sioux and Cheyenne however, are still angry about White settlers encroaching upon their lands and are considered to be very dangerous despite the best efforts of the 7th Calvary. The late summer locust storms are an annoyance, but they do provide an excellent source of protein when faced with starvation as a result of crop failure. Make sure to bring a reliable sidearm. I highly recommend the Colt revolver. Good luck.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:12 PM

696 posts, read 839,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothco View Post
The Pawnee, for the most part, will leave you alone. The Sioux and Cheyenne however, are still angry about White settlers encroaching upon their lands and are considered to be very dangerous despite the best efforts of the 7th Calvary. The late summer locust storms are an annoyance, but they do provide an excellent source of protein when faced with starvation as a result of crop failure. Make sure to bring a reliable sidearm. I highly recommend the Colt revolver. Good luck.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:03 PM

2,648 posts, read 3,493,494 times
Quote:
Hi all,

You DO NOT want to commute from Omaha to Peru State. There will be a lot of rentals within a short distance of Peru. Right now the Missouri River flood may be a factor in finding apartment. I don't know what the Ethnic mix is in Peru but you shouldn't have any problems. You may be unique but you can use that to your advantage if you are smart. One thing to remember: Folks in rural South East Nebraska take their hunting SERIOUSLY. Expect to see a lot of shotguns and rifles in the country. Peru just happens to be right in the middle of some fantastic hunting.

GL2

Old 07-01-2011, 02:36 PM

3 posts, read 5,515 times
Thank you so much for the replies. I took the job and should be moving in August. WHEW!

Old 07-01-2011, 05:12 PM

350 posts, read 301,999 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for the replies. I took the job and should be moving in August. WHEW!
Congrats! You'll have to let us know how it goes.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:40 PM

76 posts, read 120,163 times
You will enjoy Nebraska! We are friendly.....and, guess what, not all of us are GO BIG RED fanatics! Ha!

My niece graduated from Peru State. She loved the college and its staff. Peru is nestled in a beautiful part of our state. Around Lincoln and to the west, there's a LOT of FLAT land......which is great for star gazing and sunsets......but the Peru area has a bit more landscape diversity.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:44 PM

41 posts, read 78,909 times
Also since you mentioned Indian, I recently moved here as well (via Chicago at some point in time ) discovered an Indian restaurant with a Brewery. Never ever seen that combo together & am looking forward to checking it out.

Congrats & Welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska