U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 02:55 PM

4 posts, read 21,370 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

My family and I are relocating to Offutt AFB next month and I'm wondering if anyone can give me any feedback on the Beaver Lake community. I saw a post on here that said Plattsmouth was the meth capitol of Nebraska and it's got me a little concerned. Since Beaver Lake is not actually within the city of Plattsmouth I'm hoping there's no cause for alarm though. Our kids will be attending the Conestoga schools in Murray so I'm hoping someone can give me an opinion on their school district as well. We're really hoping to get away from the base and live somewhere a little more rural so we hope we've made the right decision choosing Beaver Lake.

Thanks so much for any input!

Cordelia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 02:29 PM

117 posts, read 479,696 times
I would strongly recommend Murray before Beaver Lake. I've lived in both, and I found Murray to be much friendlier, more respectful of neighbors (all are full-time residents, Beaver Lake has a lot of people who just have a 'lake house'), cheaper, etc.

The schools were a bit above average (certainly better than that system of failure called OPS and that system of who-has-the-most-money-and-if-you-don't-your-kids-will-suffer-academically-and-socially Millard). I would recommend getting your kids involved as much as possible though, because it is the same as most of rural Nebraska, you will be coming late to the party with most kids and families knowing each other for years and growing up together. It's not a negative by any means, you just have to involve yourself.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:42 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,503,563 times
We have family in Plattsmouth and a good friend who is a law enforcement officer there, and the OP is the first time we've heard about meth in that town. Does anyone have details, or does this come from town bashing by someone who had a bad experience there. (There seem to be several such posters here.)

Old 06-17-2011, 08:03 AM

Thanks so much for the info guys!

a42887-Murray looks like a great town. We will definitely keep an eye out for new listings there. I really appreciate your help!

Coaster-It looks like it might just be some senseless town bashing. I certainly can't find anything else on Google that suggests Plattsmouth is the meth capitol of NE. The fact that your friend who is an officer has never mentioned it to you is a good sign to me. Thank you for responding!

Cordelia

Old 06-29-2011, 08:53 AM

Anyone else?

Thanks!

Cordelia

Old 07-12-2011, 01:43 AM

1 posts, read 5,265 times
i am glad to join

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________
louis vuitton outlet ( http://www.inladyzone.com/louis-vuitton-c-1.html - broken link)
louis vuitton monogram ( http://www.inladyzone.com/louis-vuitton-louis-vuitton-purses-c-1_18.html - broken link)

Old 07-12-2011, 10:36 AM

370 posts, read 1,158,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
We have family in Plattsmouth and a good friend who is a law enforcement officer there, and the OP is the first time we've heard about meth in that town. Does anyone have details, or does this come from town bashing by someone who had a bad experience there. (There seem to be several such posters here.)
I know this thread is a few weeks old, but since the Louis Vitton spammer brought it back to the top, I just now saw it...

Gosh, I though Grand Island was the meth capitol of Nebraska. Or was it Norfolk? Or Lexington? Or Beatrice? Or North Platte?

Don't get all hung up on that. Sadly, you can find meth in just about any community in Nebraska at one level or another. And Plattsmouth is no different, but as far as being the "meth capitol," I find that hard to believe. Just somebody spouting off.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:10 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,503,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsThisOneTaken? View Post
Gosh, I though Grand Island was the meth capitol of Nebraska. Or was it Norfolk? Or Lexington? Or Beatrice? Or North Platte?

Don't get all hung up on that. Sadly, you can find meth in just about any community in Nebraska at one level or another. And Plattsmouth is no different, but as far as being the "meth capitol," I find that hard to believe. Just somebody spouting off.
Thanks for the update. You're right, meth is ubiquitous not just in Nebraska but everywhere. Two years ago the police raided a very nice house just two blocks from us here on the coast of Maine that turned out to be a meth lab.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:39 PM

Thank you! I appreciate your input. : )

Old 09-18-2011, 09:23 AM

3 posts, read 8,515 times
Cordelia, welcome to the area. We have a house in buccaneer bay (just minutes from offutt) and were also told 'welcome to the crack capitol of Nebraska' years ago. I have friends in Murray, Beaver Lake and downtown plattsmouth area - all are great family people. These areas are family friendly. Where did you end up moving? We've been here 6 years and love the small town feel, just 17 miles from Omaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or